Thread: Business Ethics, are there any?

Ah, 80 Hour Work Weeks, The American Dream! tombarr's Avatar

Business Ethics, are there any?

As adult webmasters we are generally perceived to be without any morality and certainly the sleaze of society....I am wondering whether we are also an industry without business ethics?

Should webmasters promote sites that we know have tours based upon content lies?

Should webmasters promote sites that we know steal others content?

Personally, if we find any sites or programs that are stealing other's products, graphics, videos, we automatically delist them from our sites, and remove any and all references to any links with them, including reciprocal banners etc.

and if we find any sites that we know that lie about their content, we certainly NEVER would dream of continuing to promote them in our traffic sites.

Keeping any linkage or promotion of sites like these active in our program sends the wrong message. "I know what you are doing is wrong, but I sure want the money" or "I know what you are doing is wrong, but I'm not really concerned enough to take down my links to your site."

I think that it would be something we as a community should make more of an effort on, depriving these types of sites our hard gained traffic, which by even maintaining a small link to them on our sites, says we condone their activities.

There are a zillion programs out there, and a gazillion sites out there to link to, we don't need to be giving traffic to liars and thieves in our business.

Just my rant for the day. nuff said.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    you are absolutely right! and very well said -

we have developed strong and lasting relationships with people we can trust and our inner circle is made up of good, down to earth business people with old fashioned ethics...

you can't live without them and sleep at night! unless they take ambien?!?!?

Words paint the real picture gaystoryman's Avatar
    Good points raised, and for myself, I try to use only sponsors that fit not just my needs, but my own warped brand of ethics. I suppose its one reason why I dont have a score of sponsors. It is also perhaps why I stick with them as well.

Money does drive the industry, but I like to sleep when I get the chance. So I think for me, I agree with the comments whole heartily. :thumbsup:
    Webmasters: Add Custom Stories To Your Sites Custom Gay Stories

My Blogs Gay Talk, Free Gay Fiction, Erotic Fiction Online

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    AJ and I were talking about ethics the other day. Sadly, I don't think that lack of business ethics is particularly more prevalent in the adult industry than anywhere else... which is to say that personal and corporate integrity seems to be headed to an alltime low, not just in the adult sector but in most business fields. At least that's my experience.

I'm in complete agreement about promoting sites that rip off the consumer, or rip off other webmasters by stealing content... and there was a thread last year about promoting sponsors you know are shaving if they make more $ for you than ones who don't skim... and I hold the same view about that. A site that shaves is stealing. If they're willing to do that to me, what are they willing to do to their customers, or to me when I'm not looking?

Everything about American society seems to indicate lack of ethics. You have all the major bankcard issuers with byzantine rules that nearly ensure that their cardholders will either pay exorbitant interest rates, late fees, overlimit fees, ripoff currency conversion rates, or some other ripoff... and you have major long distance companies that sell discounted US calling plans without telling you that calls to Canada will cost $3 a minute if you don't sign up for their international deal... and cell phone carriers who make some 60% of their annual profits on ripoff-priced overage minutes.

So very few companies are being particularly ethical. But the good news is, as was stated above, you can find the people you like and trust, and work out relationships with them, and be a lot farther ahead in the long run.

CamCruise
    I agree!! It is hard to find people that you feel comfortable doing business with in anything you do. You just kind of have to feel your way though them and stick to the ones that work for you.
    Anthony and I would not be here today if it was not for finding the great partners we work with now. When we started out we had a lot of people and companies that wanted us to do business with them. But we did our homework, and found that a lot of red flags were coming up with some of them.
    We find the best thing to do always is listen to that inner voice that we all have. If you don't feel good about it, move on to someone else.
    The great thing is that there are a lot of good people in this biz. You always hear about the bad eggs.
    Boards like this is a great place to learn about who you want to work with and who you don't

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    I try to run my practice with a higher degree of ethics than required, and I onlly accept new clients that have been referred to me by other clients.

I would rather make a reasonable amount of money and earn a long term relationship than make a quick buck off someone that won't be around in a year.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Tom, I think you're 100% on the money.

There are too many sites out there that have tours that convert, but once the member's in the door, the content sucks, the updates are sporatic and the service isn't there.

Some people promote sites that they know bend the rules,, use underage models and mislead the customer.

Makes us ALL look bad.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Tom,

Great post. We've always made it a practice not to do business with anyone who appears to have shady business ethics. Likewise, we've always tried to help new webmasters and producers out by letting them know who we think are the ethical distributors or service providers.

Most of the rest of society looks down on our profession but quite honestly, most of the folks I know in this industry are just honest, hard working guys and gals trying to make an honest living.

Want an industry that has MORE than it's share of crooks....go take a look at the tele-evangelists! And...those bastards look down on us???

Bill

dannyz
    Great rant Tom. Those that lie/cheat/steal in order to make money are just there to try to grab a quick buck and won't be around for long.

As with any successful product, you need to create brand loyalty (for surfers) by providing the best content and not lying to them. And the same holds true for business relationships, we only look to work with others who are in it for the long term.