Thread: Log: a huge problem

simons

Log: a huge problem

Hello,
    yesterday I noticed that access log of my server is about 71Gb. This is log for four months. How do store your log?

Thank you.

have you poked around your servers control panel? most have features like auto archiving of log files or even emailing them daily to an address.

simons
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    have you poked around your servers control panel? most have features like auto archiving of log files or even emailing them daily to an address.
    I think that emailing logs is not a good idea. About 1Gb per day is too much for my mail account :mental:

so you have a big log do ya?

how about archiving them to a backup system?

simons
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost
    so you have a big log do ya?

how about archiving them to a backup system?
    Does backup suystem need another server? When I think about backup system in my mind appear two server. One "web server" and one "backup server". At present this solution would be affordable but I've got other costs more important. However I put this "solution" in my plans for the future. Can you explain me more about your advice? Thank you.

It does not necessarily have to be another server, since you are just using disk space and only a small bit of bandwidth once a day to copy the files. Check with your webhost to see if they have any backup solutions available to you.

cheers,
    Luke