Thread: Flash now fucked.

Xstr8guy

Flash now fucked.

Bleah! That update to IE that was suppose to fuck up Flash has now blessed my computer with it's presence. Flash displays correctly but now you have to click once to activate any functionality. So Flash banners, menus, etc. now need TWO clicks before the hyperlink actually works. SUCKS!

BijouWorld
    Yeah, it is annoying. It's a new workaround for all controls that use Microsoft ActiveX to avoid browser hijacking. It is highly likely that this is temporary once Microsoft develops a more graceful way to handle this issue. They were just in crisis mode since the exploit became very public and heated, very fast.

Xstr8guy
    It's not to prevent browser hijacking... it's a work around for the Eolas Technologies patent infringement. This update just happens to include a "security vulnerability" as well.

arrival77

workaround

There's a workaround using javascript that I point you to if you want where you won't have to 'activate the activex control'. It's a simple matter of updating/rewriting one hundred million sites around the internet. Every long journey begins with a single step

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by arrival77
    There's a workaround using javascript that I point you to if you want where you won't have to 'activate the activex control'. It's a simple matter of updating/rewriting one hundred million sites around the internet. Every long journey begins with a single step
    I looked at the information page on Microsoft's website but I'm not very bright when it comes to javascript so I didn't understand what I needed to do.

maxpower
    I am about too pay to have a new site created that will use allot of flash, I guess it was pretty good timing. I am pretty sure that the designer I have chosen will know how to make sure I do not have any problems. The only people that will have a big problem, I think will once that have a large amount of banners on many sites they will have to go back and fix. :construct

arrival77

javascript

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    I looked at the information page on Microsoft's website but I'm not very bright when it comes to javascript so I didn't understand what I needed to do.
    There's actually nothing you need to do for your browser, but every webmaster in the world who used to load their flash files with <embed> or <object> tags will now have to load them with javascript if they want to avoid the 'click spacebar to activate' message. All because Microsoft lost a stupid patent court ruling. See below if you're interested: http://www.tomwalsham.com/post.php?id=60

maxpower
    So does anyone think I should not have flash on my new tour? I think the designer can work out the problem, but do you think this java patch is going to work out ok for most viewers? :notsure:

robin
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    Bleah! That update to IE that was suppose to fuck up Flash has now blessed my computer with it's presence. Flash displays correctly but now you have to click once to activate any functionality. So Flash banners, menus, etc. now need TWO clicks before the hyperlink actually works. SUCKS!
    And they look funny with that weird bounding box -- and I hate going back to a page where I've activated only to find I have to do it again. Freaking patent holders... :hmmph:

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    that's why I use Firefox, have only SP2 and have everything behind the router

something always breaks in those updates