Thread: postgreSQL: any comments?

I'm a farmhand on your dad's rooster ranch. haganxy's Avatar

postgreSQL: any comments?

this is my 7th year in the adult online industry, and i've used mySQL religiously for the entire time.

however, i'm possibly gonna be dealing with a database table with around 1 million rows, and i'm a little concerned about the performance of mySQL in such a situation.

i've heard that postgreSQL is intended for larger and more complex databases, but i've had very little exposure to it.

does anyone here use postgreSQL? any suggestions? comments? concerns? advice?

thanks
    hagan - IT nerd
    PrideBucks.com

I'm a farmhand on your dad's rooster ranch. haganxy's Avatar
    oops, i did my math wrong. it's only been 6 years. i spent 1 year working in mainstream. hehe
    hagan - IT nerd
    PrideBucks.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Hagan,

I'm not that familiar with PostGRE, but I do know that there are a number of companies that have ported very large database applications from Oracle to MySQL. The MySQL organization, which supports the commercial version of MySQL is reported to be very good as far as support.

Keep in mind also that GFY runs on VBulletin, which runs on MySQL. I don't know if it's the same scale as you're talking about, but VBulletin's MySQL backend is considered very robust and scalable well beyond what GFY is doing with it. So you'd probably be perfectly good with MySQL.

I realize that doesn't really answer your question about PostGRE, but hopefully it's helpful