View Poll Results: Which kind of site have you been the most successful with?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • General hardcore with different kinds of guys and no theme

0 0%
  • a focused and niched theme (i.e., baseball jocks fucking)

5 71.43%
  • a double-niched theme (i.e., redheaded football jocks fucking)

1 14.29%
  • other

1 14.29%

Thread: To niche or double-niche, that is my dillema

Marc

To niche or double-niche, that is my dillema

After some failures and setbacks, Im looking to change my focus.

Im making a new site and debating about whether to keep it
    general hardcore (just different kinds of guys fucking and jacking off),
    themed (baseball jocks fucking),
    or double-niched a.k.a micro-niched (redheaded football jocks fucking).

I'm working solo here and I think the best thing I can do is to focus on 1 site, and promote the hell out of it. I could spread myself out and develop dozens of sites, but I wont have the ability to properly promote all of them, so Id like to stay focused on 1 site.

So which one of thsoe directions has done best for you guys, if you dont mind sharing and giving me some clues on whats worked best for you.

Thanks in advance I appreciate your input

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Micro-niche is by far the best seller although, that being said, the smaller the niche you choose, the harder it will become to get traffic to the site so, for example, lets say you can get 1000 hits a day to an 'ebony' site, a 'mature ebony' site may only yield you 500 hits a day but because the traffic looking for 'mature ebony' pics/movies is going to be a lot more targeted, you should, in theory, get more sales with, better retention, so long as your content inside the members area matches.

That being said, because a lot more people are actively looking to promote the micro-niche sites, at some point in the next 24 months, we'll start to see a need for more generalized gay sites again.

The other thing you need to consider is your content, both what you have now and, what you are going to need to purchase for updates and filling out the site, its no good going micro-niche if you cant find the content you are going to be selling.

Regards,

Lee

Marc
    What a great analysis! Thanks Lee.

See for me I don't know if I like to be tied to a microniche.
    I hate seeing some great new content and I cant use it because the guy doesnt exactly fit the microniche.
    I like the idea of having a choice to just pick content as it comes out and is fresh.

One thing I want to mention is that this site Im building is one I plan on promoting forever.
    Ive been in the business for a few years and Ive done ok, but my biggest mistake is lack of focus.
    I'll try pushing something for 2 months and if it isnt a success I move on to something else. Its just something I do and I want to stop doing that and focus.
    With this site I plan to just keep pushing it even when its doing 1:5000 on some months, and hopefully in other months it will do 1:200 or better.

My other problem with microniches is that I dont know anyone who has been wildly successful with them. If I knew of people who were it'd be different for me.
    I know 1 guy who runs a really well done foreskin site, and his sales are so/so with it.

you're extremely unlikely to do 1:200 on a general site, especially with older content and as an AVS site. avs sites don't convert as well as paysites and the content you have is very overexposed. tgp surfers in particular will have seen it a lot, and while you will still get some joins, using content that old will cut your sales in half.

why not have several sites? you do right now, but your approach to the surfer is not there. you don't make your sites sound like they offer anything. you have to give the surfer a reason to want to join.

uncut is a very very VERY popular niche. if your friend can't sell it, the problem is his tour.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    uncut is a very very VERY popular niche. if your friend can't sell it, the problem is his tour.
    Or, the method that the traffic is being sent.

We actually had an affiliate a week or two back who couldnt understand why he wasnt making sales on our top converting site, when i offered to help them find out why they sent me a couple of their urls.

The reason they werent making any sales is because they were telling the surfer it was 'free' when the reality is, it wasnt.

I explained if they wanted to use the word 'free' along with the site they were sending traffic to, send the surfers to one of our FHGs and tell them they can get a 'free sample' of the site, within 48 hours the guy had sales coming in

Regards,

Lee

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely Tristin's Avatar
    Focused niche is gonna pull in the most users if you can target a undeserved niche. I worked for a twink watersports site and they had about 5,000 members and a 75% recurring membership base. That was 3 years ago, they have much more members now. The wider your focus the more competition your gonna have, and the less your membership is gonna be. I'm no expert, but I say target as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    I hate seeing some great new content and I cant use it because the guy doesnt exactly fit the microniche.
    Thats why you need to carefully consider the niche you choose.

Most of the content we have inside the Condom Cash paysites is all niche specific however, non of it was labelled for the niches. By that i mean the content inside Tattooed Guys that we got from Maxpixels, Ounique, etc etc were all labelled as 'hunks', 'twinks', 'blondes' etc etc but, they never also mentioned that the models had tats or, in the case of our Denim Guys site, a lot of the sets never mentioned the model was wearing jeans.

The really good thing about micro-niches is that you can take almost any set of content you already have and use it for a micro-niche in this manner.

Tattooed Guys, using that as the example again, doesnt have any content that you or anyone else on GWW couldnt buy but, it does have something that no other sponsor has right now, a unique, unsaturated market share.

You really can go to town when it comes to micro-niches, take a look at one of the large contet providers such as Maxpixels and browse through the sets they have, i guarantee you'll be able to find sets that will work for various micro-niches including, facial hair, trimmed pubes, sneakers, barefeet, swimwear, eyewear, etc, the list really does go on and on.

Make a list of the micro-niches you find then, head on over to Google and start thinking of some search terms a surfer would use to find that type of content, also, be sure to check out the Overture keyword tool, that should give you a reasonable basis of traffic levels for any specific niche / keyword combo.

Regards,

Lee

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristin
    I worked for a twink watersports site and they had about 5,000 members and a 75% recurring membership base. That was 3 years ago, they have much more members now.
    Holy Shit!

my brain is spinning now, wow. I'd love to just have 1,000 members.
    Thanks a lot for that info. Im turned on by numbers and its rare that I get actual numbers.

Id love to do a watersports site, I know soooo many guys into it who would do it for free or small money, but I dont like the legal gray area of ws.

How about an Asian Transexual Webcam. Diesel and I are working on one of those at the moment. I think going very specific can be a good direction. You can always expand into other areas.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by MWCren
    How about an Asian Transexual Webcam. Diesel and I are working on one of those at the moment. I think going very specific can be a good direction. You can always expand into other areas.
    See the thing is I once did a chubby granny site (double niching) and looking for content I ended up with only like 15 sets of pics, and 7 videos.
    So the members area had very little.

Once someone signs up, they do a 2 minute scan of all the content, and theres nothing more, so they leave and cancel their membership, after downloading everything,

See the thing is I once did a chubby granny site (double niching) and looking for content I ended up with only like 15 sets of pics, and 7 videos.
    Well not to sound harsh but, you shouldnt have launched a site in that niche then.

Mature content of any real value is extremely difficult to get, so is BBW / Chub content, the two niches together, im actually suprised you were able to find that many sets.

Thats where doing the research i mentioned in my earlier post comes in to play, when you are searching for content, you need to make sure you have enough to keep the surfer around plus, are able to get additional content for updates, choosing the micro-niche you are going to be launching a site for is much more important than finding the content, if you choose a niche that is to small, you wont be able to find the content and, as you found out, that results in low sales.

Regards,

Lee

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely Tristin's Avatar
    Holy Shit!

my brain is spinning now, wow. I'd love to just have 1,000 members.
    Thanks a lot for that info. Im turned on by numbers and its rare that I get actual numbers.

Id love to do a watersports site, I know soooo many guys into it who would do it for free or small money, but I dont like the legal gray area of ws.
    Hey man, keep in mind the site I worked for has 100% orignal content and little compition. Do your research, find out what else is out there, what they have to offer, and such before you decide what to do.

Dzinerbear
    Why not do a jock hub? First, unless you're shooting yourself, you're going to have a hard time finding enough redheaded football player content to keep a site going.

But if you did a jock hub with separate sub-categories, you'd pretty much own the niche. And if you're good at SEO, well ...

Here are some ideas:

locker room play
    during the game (guys in action sports shots)
    jockstraps
    ebony jocks
    hockey players
    baseball players
    football players
    jocks in the sauna
    jocks getting massages
    guys in white socks
    guys in baseball caps

If you pulled them altogether in a hub you'd do well for the "jock" search term. But the surfer could hone in on the galleries they liked best.

You could charge a low price for each section and a higher more attractive price for all.

Cheers,
    Michael