Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you raised your prices lately ?

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar

Have you raised your prices lately ?

It's now 2006 and I'm wondering if the $19.95 price point is just not enough to cover costs. Have you raised your prices lately ?
    Artist/Painter and Webmaster of Huskyhunks.com.

Xstr8guy
    I like the $29.95 price point the best. It makes the affiliate program more enticing to promote. I have several sponsors that frustrate me with their low membership prices. Another thing I suggest... make non-recurring prices at least $5 more than recurring.

maxpower
    So you really like promoting the 29.95/ 34.95 non recurring programs with the 50% option I am assuming, What you think about a option of a flat payment of 30$ for every sign-up of a site at 29.95? I want to add a flat payment option and raise the price of my site once the new graphics/updates are competed. I just really do not want to have any trial memberships, but still would like to offer a flat payment option I know most webmasters prefer the flat payments. :evil:

Xstr8guy
    PPS does nothing for me. I only promote sites that I would actually join. If I feel that way, I hope that my surfers do too. Therefore, my sponsors rebill very well for me and revshare is the only way to go.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy
    PPS does nothing for me. I only promote sites that I would actually join. If I feel that way, I hope that my surfers do too. Therefore, my sponsors rebill very well for me and revshare is the only way to go.

Well that’s cool, but I guess I would say your in the minority with the “partnership” thing. Most affiliates want a flat payment option at least, I was just wondering if it sound fair to offer the option of a flat payment of 30$ for a site with out a trial membership? Of course I would offer the 50% thing too, but I just want to provide options for them, just not sure the flat payment would be that appealing if its the whole amount basically of the price to join?

BTW NATS is very expensive, unless you have over 20,000$ to give them for stats LOL I would take a look at clickman you will save over 15,000$ and I really like them more. :shifty:

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I don't think he's in the minority at all. It seems to me like an apples and oranges thing... some affiliates don't care about recurring revenue, they just want to make a sale and get paid once and move on to the next person, while other affiliates are in it for the long haul and choose programs that are likely to have high retention.

As for pricing, we've been experimenting with different price points. Our foot site seems to perform well at a 19.95 recurring, while Boyfunk is priced $5 higher. All non-recurring memberships are substantially more expensive ($29.95/month) or have a shorter term ($39.95/2 months nonrecur vs 3 months recurring) And, amazingly, we *still* get a lot of guys that are signing up at the nonrecurring rate.

maxpower
    Ya right now I charge 10$ more for non recurring and still it makes up like 30% of all new sales I don’t get it just go with it.

Well I just said he was in the minority because most of the webmaster I know that offer both option say the flat payments are by far the most popular one, I just feel I kind of have to offer them the option. I just wonder if its ok to have a flat payment option with out trials is really all.

musclebucks offers 2 different price sets for affiliates so they can choose which prices performs the best for them, and we're about to launch a third.

btw, i can cover my costs if i charged $5 per member with no problem, so there's no reason why $19.95 should be a problem.

and remember that bandwidth has gone down massively since 1996 - in 1996 - 1999, we paid $3.33 per gig, then we paid $650 for 1.5 mbps, then $350 for 1 mbps and now we pay $125 for 3 mbps, so in reality our expenses have gone down consistantly, not up.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Totally agree with you on the bandwidth... but I will say that we are paying way more on the production side than we were... our model fees are more now, because we can afford to pay the models a lil better, and we're flying a lot of guys in now, which we weren't a couple years ago... so in that way, our *fixed* costs are higher, but our incremental costs of adding an additional member are of course way lower than they were.

but those costs aren't associated with inflation and what year it is - it's a natural progression as you become more experienced and better at what you do, and want to create better products.

have you had the chance to figure out how much bandwidth on average each of your members use?

Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    Totally agree with you on the bandwidth... but I will say that we are paying way more on the production side than we were... our model fees are more now, because we can afford to pay the models a lil better, and we're flying a lot of guys in now, which we weren't a couple years ago... so in that way, our *fixed* costs are higher, but our incremental costs of adding an additional member are of course way lower than they were.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    now we pay $125 for 3 mbps
    what is that per gig?
    im so bad with mbps vs. gigs

I pay 35 cents a gig

desslock
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower
    Well that’s cool, but I guess I would say your in the minority with the “partnership” thing. Most affiliates want a flat payment option at least, I was just wondering if it sound fair to offer the option of a flat payment of 30$ for a site with out a trial membership? Of course I would offer the 50% thing too, but I just want to provide options for them, just not sure the flat payment would be that appealing if its the whole amount basically of the price to join?
    I never participate in the flat payment programs. I only participate in the rev share. (I am not warm to promoting paysites that offer trials. )

I'll give you one reason why I do this. Over on the "non adult, mainstream" affiliate side, almost all programs pay you one single time. For example if you send a new member to eBay, you get $12 or to Peapod you get $10. There's your bounty. Thank you.

To me, if you are promoting adult affiliate programs, you are doing yourself a disservice by limiting yourself to the "Take the Money and Run" one time commission payplans which are de rigour in mainstream industries. You may as well do marketing over there.

The choice of a revshare option is a lucky benefit to working in the adult market. Think hard before letting it slip by.

Steve

desslock
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    As for pricing, we've been experimenting with different price points. Our foot site seems to perform well at a 19.95 recurring, while Boyfunk is priced $5 higher. All non-recurring memberships are substantially more expensive ($29.95/month) or have a shorter term ($39.95/2 months nonrecur vs 3 months recurring) And, amazingly, we *still* get a lot of guys that are signing up at the nonrecurring rate.
    I find discussions like this interesting. The old economics major in me finds the pricing of membership sites, how they act and what people pay, pretty much right out of the textbooks. So are the dillemmas producers face in attempting to reach the "right price."

Steve

ARGH!!! on a slightly different note the bloody USD is losing big ground to the Euro right now which is eating away my margins on NL hosting. I have to pay costs in euros and it really sucks when costs get increased by 10% due to a slowing US economy.

come on, all you Americans, get out there and strengthen your economy!!!

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar
    If you adjust for inflation say since 1999, raising your 19.99 price to 24.95 is about right. That's just the inflation angle. I also think you have to consider the time and effort and overall resources it takes to make a sale now verses that effort in 1999, it would probably be substantially more. Time is money spent.

The affiliate angle also has to be part of the equation. I agree that half of 29.95 is very appealing. I can think of only a few sites that could sell that price point well.
    Artist/Painter and Webmaster of Huskyhunks.com.