Thread: Gaydar Radio Foiled in UK?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    desslock

Gaydar Radio Foiled in UK?

Hey does anyone listen to Gaydar Radio? I haven't in about a month, and tried today. There was this message when I attempted to connect:

Due to a change in United Kingdom licensing laws all Internet radio stations
    now have to pay to broadcast outside the UK. This effectively means that GaydarRadio will either have to stop broiadcasting outside the UK or charge a subscription fee. We have decided to enter the subscription route rather than cut the station off to out loyal audiences outside the UK.

Sounds to me like the 1920s-era tax and regulation system in Britain, organized to fund Auntie is interfereing with a new technology with a global reach.

Steve

Today the USA, tommorrow the World collegeboyslive's Avatar
    eww that sucks I used to like gaydar. you can always spoof an ip address
    Video feeds and content available to webmasters:
    http://demo.collegeboyslive.com http://affiliates.collegeboyslive.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    It actually isnt anything to do with needing a license to broadcast a radio station, its actually all to do with needing a license to broadcast music over the airwaves.

Specifically, the song writers licensing fees which, oddly enough () a lot of these web radio stations werent paying in the UK and, a whole lot more arent paying in the USA at the present time either.. They cost a lot of money!

To give you some idea of what it costs to legally license a song for broadcast, right now, in the UK costs somewhere between $50 and $350 to legally broadcast music, for every song broadcast, in the US, the last time i checked, it cost about the same.

In essence, most of these online radio stations are breaking copyright laws by playing tunes that havent been licensed.

Does kind of make you wonder though, if someone is willing to broadcast copyrighted materials over the web so far as 'music' goes, what else are they stealing the rights too?

In my eyes, broadcasting music without having a license, is no different than if i were to go to one of your websites, download every single image and movie you have on them and start offering that same content on one of my sites.. Theft is theft, no matter how you try to gloss it over.

Regards,

Lee

desslock
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    It actually isnt anything to do with needing a license to broadcast a radio station, its actually all to do with needing a license to broadcast music over the airwaves.

Does kind of make you wonder though, if someone is willing to broadcast copyrighted materials over the web so far as 'music' goes, what else are they stealing the rights too?

In my eyes, broadcasting music without having a license, is no different
    Well I have no problem paying royalties either - but unfortunately if the RIAA had their way we would live in a world purely of large platter phonograph records, and movie theaters as only legal places to show films.

Steve

JustBryce
    The fees for internet only broadcasting aren't nearly that high anymore.

You take your site revenue and multiply it by 0.0185. Whatever number you come up with you then add $288.00

So if you made $1 Million per year. Your fee would be just over $1500.00 per month and you could stream any song licensed by ASCAP..which is most all of them.

The new fees were enacted in January of 2005 for what they call the ASCAP Experimental License Agreement for Internet Sites & Services.

desslock
    I just received Podcasting Hacks from O'Reilly, and they say in hack #68 that - at that time - obtaining a license for performer rights from the RIAA was impossible because their terms limited it to "streaming media" and nothing else.

Buying a license from ASCAP for performer rights was spelled out and looks pretty easy.

Anyone know if the RIAA has updated their licensing for podcasts?

Steve

robin
    Quote Originally Posted by desslock
    Hey does anyone listen to Gaydar Radio? I haven't in about a month, and tried today. There was this message when I attempted to connect:

Due to a change in United Kingdom licensing laws all Internet radio stations
    now have to pay to broadcast outside the UK. This effectively means that GaydarRadio will either have to stop broiadcasting outside the UK or charge a subscription fee. We have decided to enter the subscription route rather than cut the station off to out loyal audiences outside the UK.

Sounds to me like the 1920s-era tax and regulation system in Britain, organized to fund Auntie is interfereing with a new technology with a global reach.

Steve
    That sucks -- I occassionally listen to it when I'm feeling the need for some music while I work.