Thread: Question For The Movie Producers On GWW..

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Question For The Movie Producers On GWW..

Which came first for you, your movies or, your website?

Im noticing a lot more movie studios are seeing the benefits of producing / licensing their content for web use and i was wondering if you decided immediately to do both DVD / VHS and the web or whether you initially opted to do one specific thing and the rest grew from that?

Regards,

Lee

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Boyfunk was first, then our foot site. The videos and DVDs didn't come until later.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Can i ask if the movies releases came as a direct result of your membership sites or if you had already planned to be doing dvds at some point also?

Regards,

Lee

Our video line came out first. About a year later we registered our domain and put up a website, but it wasn't until a year or so after when we began doing e-commerce. Then we added our other sites.. citiboyzcontent... citiboyztheatre.. as we saw opportunities to create new revenue streams with them.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    We make movies. Then, and only after a period of a time, do we release the movies to the internet.

Our lion's share of profits are from DVD sales in Brick and Mortar stores.

This is why our library does well in the internet market. It is special all over again when it hits a new market. This is just plain old business.

There would be no punch if the title was available everywhere and in every medium all at once. The title would make a big spalsh and then disappear.

This is why producers held back on DVD releases for 6 months or longer, after VHS sales began to slag.

Now that companies see the internet as a way to retire on royalties, we see older titles coming of age...

Our website is now in development and will be up sometime this Summer. No rush with us, we've got plenty of good movies to cut up and share...

i guess there's no real point to my posting here - we haven't released our first DVD although we plan to around end of summer...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Can i ask if the movies releases came as a direct result of your membership sites or if you had already planned to be doing dvds at some point also?

Regards,

Lee
    Well, it's a sort of unusual story. Ryan, my former business partner (Elijah on Boyfunk) actually started Boyfunk, and he never intended to do anything other than run a website. When Jason and I joined forces with Ryan about 6 months later, we envisioned at that time marketing videos and DVDs as well... and Boyfunk had only like 50 members at the time, so you could probably say that the two really started at the same time.

I gotta say, though, they are such COMPLETELY different worlds that I think it's hard for most people to do both well. We've had a lot of help, and we also, in spite of working a lot of long hours, find it hard to stay on top of both the membership sites and the DVD lines. Plus, marketing for the two are totally different.

Not to say that you can't do both, only that I'd highly recommend making sure you have the staffing resources to do both well... our websites definitely suffered last year as we were putting so much energy into the DVDs, and now we're having to play catchup. I don't recommend doing it our way

Fratmen started out as a movie company, and after a few years, branched off into the website, which is now more the primary focus of what we do.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    i guess there's no real point to my posting here - we haven't released our first DVD although we plan to around end of summer...
    well Basschick...you know that you can always turn to us if you need help producing your first DVD...we've got great suppliers for printing box covers and replicating, editing, music, etc....after all, this is what we do!

We must be half way good at what we do...Tower Records just placed another great order for our latest DVD...BAREBACK GREASE MONKEYS 2...with Virgin just behind in numbers, this title is already outselling our last title and its only been on the market 1 week!

put that in your DVD player and smoke it!

Ewww. Even though I don't smoke, I think smoked grease and DVD plastic would taste pretty nasty

Congratulations on the sales numbers though! That's great news!!

dexxxter
    I initally started the website as a way to promote myself as a model. After some disappointing shoots I then started my own company with the intention of producing dvd's. Since I don't have any distribution yet the dvd's aren't selling that well so I am in talks with companies for VOD. It wasn't a progression that I was planning but you never know what's gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dexxxter
    Since I don't have any distribution yet the dvd's aren't selling that well so I am in talks with companies for VOD. It wasn't a progression that I was planning but you never know what's gonna happen.
    Woah!

I like the look of your covers - haven't seen any of your videos but would like to...

My little bit of advice (to be taken with a grain of salt) ... don't sell yourself short yet... try to find a distributor and hold off on going "live" with your movies before you have a chance to sell some good quantities...

If you've got product sitting in inventory, waiting to sell... our distribution network might be able to help you out.

Once you've got a good number of titles in your library and you know which of your titles have legs, you can start slowly feeding them to the net.

Don't forget that as a producer, your "virgin" content is valuable and you don't want to spread yourself too thin, too quickly... (one of the keys to our success) - and I don't usually give advice freely, and naturally, don't want to upset the apple cart!)

Good luck.

dexxxter
    [QUOTE]
    Woah!

I like the look of your covers - haven't seen any of your videos but would like to...

My little bit of advice (to be taken with a grain of salt) ... don't sell yourself short yet... try to find a distributor and hold off on going "live" with your movies before you have a chance to sell some good quantities...

If you've got product sitting in inventory, waiting to sell... our distribution network might be able to help you out.

Once you've got a good number of titles in your library and you know which of your titles have legs, you can start slowly feeding them to the net.

Don't forget that as a producer, your "virgin" content is valuable and you don't want to spread yourself too thin, too quickly... (one of the keys to our success) - and I don't usually give advice freely, and naturally, don't want to upset the apple cart!)

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, no worries about upsetting the apple cart, this isn't the business to be thin skinned in. I'm kinda in the which came first the chicken or the egg. Many of the distributors I conntacted never heard of me & are reluctant to buy from me but then since no one is buying from me no one has heard of me. Any help on distribution from you would be gladly accepted.