Thread: Video Play Problem - Help Please

Dzinerbear

Video Play Problem - Help Please

Hi guys,

I've got a member who is having trouble playing video. He logs in successfully, launches the player, and then, when the clip is supposed to play the page disappears (browser closes or minimizes) and the clip doesn't play.

He's using Windows 2000, IE 6, and Norton Internet Security 2005.

Any ideas?

Michael

maxpower
    I am sure you might have though about this already, but when I get similar problems from viewers about the videos I advice them to just redownload their media player. I do not know why, but from time to time they lose files or something and need to be updated. And rebooting their PC helps too

Paco
    browser closes
    I have not heard of this for while - the issue was not the site or the configuration of the system/player, rather the system was compromised (trojan, virus etc).

Question: Does this problem occur with other browsers?
    If no, they have most likely blocked the action (script).
    If yes, the problem most likely is an issue with one of their utilities (firewall etc), or as mentioned above, they have herpes (an infection).

Based on what I have seen over the last few years: the most-common problem with videos has been Norton Security, and the fact that many clients do not know how to configure it.
    The simplest test would be to have them terminate the program and test the link/video, once again.

If it plays, they will have to reconfigure the software or terminate it when visiting.

The problem could also be with the browser (usually FireFox) - it is set to block the action.
    Ensure their browser is set to 'enable Java' and 'enable JavaScript'.

Another one of my duties is client support, so if you require some help, you are welcome to e-mail me (paco@largecash.com) or ICQ (123 029 302) me.

Xstr8guy
    Can he just right click on the vid and "save as" to his computer and watch it offline? Other than that, I agree with Max... have him download a new version of WMP. You don't mention what version he is currently using.

raymor
    Are you trying to embed the video in a page, or are you linking
    directly to the clip. Embedding in a page and trying to play using
    Windows Media Player has never worked all that reliably.
    I suggest that if you're trying to embed it, provide a link to the
    video itself either instead of or in addition to the link to the embedded page.

perhaps he has an older codec for the format of video. that's the problem we ran into.