Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is standard revshare payout percentage?

what is standard revshare payout percentage?

okay, yes - i'm sure you all know that i know the answer here. but humor me - i'm trying to help someone who is new to affiliate programs.

what is industry standard for revshare percent payout, one that lasts for the life of the member?

and program owners, please post what percentage your program pays and whether it is for the life of the member.

thanks!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Anywhere from 50% upwards in increments of 10% is what id say was the norm

I know there are a few programs that pay lower than that but, they get very little affiliates / traffic because of it.

On Condom Cash i pay 50% for life unless im running a promo in which case you'll get 75%

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    Yes, I'd say 50% is standard. A few programs bump you up to 60% or higher depending on your volume. When programs drop below 50% I become less interested, especially if the join price is low. But it really depends on the site. If a bear site were only offering 40% I'd still probably promote them because there aren't a lot of sites in that niche. I'd use it as filler, but I'd promote the higher paying programs more heavily.

Cheers
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear
    Yes, I'd say 50% is standard. A few programs bump you up to 60% or higher depending on your volume. When programs drop below 50% I become less interested, especially if the join price is low. But it really depends on the site. If a bear site were only offering 40% I'd still probably promote them because there aren't a lot of sites in that niche. I'd use it as filler, but I'd promote the higher paying programs more heavily.

Cheers
    Michael
    I agree ... to promote a site that pays less than 50% - it really has to be something very unique for me to even give it my time to signup, get the linking info, fhg list (if there is one), promo banners, etc. and then work it into my sites.

Heres a quick snapshot of various CCBill gay programs I actively promote the lowest is only 15% but as you'll see most are in the 50% range.

Hope thats of use to you

Dave
    Domain inventory sale.

Marc
    Id say 50-60%.

Twice ive promoted 25% programs and both times I regretted it

JustBryce
    50% seems standard with a good smathering of 60%,

Mesmerotic.com pays out 60% for life, or $30 PPS.... your choice.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    k, here's another question (slightly hijacking the thread, but hopefully equally useful info)

How much does the join price and presence or lack of a trial affect your willingness to promote a site?

Would you prefer a site that is $25+/month over one that is $20/month? How about sites under $20?

If the site allowed you to pick the pricing options that your surfers would see, would that be a big plus for you?

We are currently experimenting with pricing and find that, contrary to what we've been told, a $5 difference in pricing between $19.95 and $24.95 DOES seem to significantly affect conversion.

abostonboy
    Basschick,

One thing I like is a TRUE 50%. Meaning, the paysite owner pay the Ccbill fees.

I still believe that your client should offer per signup. I know ALL about the additional precautions you need to take. But a truly good webmaster will know the true cost of a member to their site, and will get more affiliates via a per signup model.

Camper than a row of tents
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    How much does the join price and presence or lack of a trial affect your willingness to promote a site?
    If the members area is large and high quality, I have no problem with trials. I don't like to see three day trials on sites that can be consumed before the trial expires.

One thing I really dislike about high quality site's pricing is the offering of non-recurring billing options that are for a short period of time like one or two months. If he immediately rejoins, affiliates get no credit for that.

Back on the original topic... 50% is usually a fair number. I'm not a fan of splitting processing costs though. I go along with it, but I still consider that to be a site expense just like buying content and paying for hosting.
    I post here to whore this sig.

abostonboy - this is a brand new site and they have no idea how it will convert or anything. and i don't mind splitting processing costs at all - it seems fair to me. they pay for the content and server costs, i pay for the traffic, we split the processing.

chip - i've promoted a bunch of sites where the $5 price difference didn't make a difference but i suppose things that could affect this would be niche and traffic source. i personally don't bother with a $14.95 per month site unless it's the ONLY one in the niche and has a strong member area.

and i would prefer not to promote a site with a trial unless it's pay per signup - UNLESS the site has a crappy tour but a wham-bam member area. then i'd try the trial.

NewBoyToyMatt
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    We are currently experimenting with pricing and find that, contrary to what we've been told, a $5 difference in pricing between $19.95 and $24.95 DOES seem to significantly affect conversion.
    Does the higher price point hurt or help sales?

abostonboy
    Ok.

When I raised my price by $5 it helped actually. But others will say different.

As for trials on Revshare forget it. It's just not worth it.

BassChick I you didn't give enough information. Seriously.

I mean what is the site's business model as far as processing/traffic leaks? What is the niche.

If it's ANOTHER Twink or MegaSite then for me to market it would have to be 80%. If it's a docking website. I will market for 10%. Maybe i will be the only one that signs up but I will send a 1000 or so members.

The ultimate goal of any business is to make money. To some the only way to get signups is via an affiliate program. If that is the case and they can't generate their own traffic they may have to raise payouts to get webmasters. They will need a steady stream of income.

From past experience I have found that there are two levels of webmasters.
    1. Those who signup and send a trickle of sugnups here and there.
    2. Those that aggressively market your site in a niche they are familiar with and have lots of traffic. These guys are the ones you want.

My last two paysites I had an affiliate program by invitation only. At most I had 10 affiliates in each site. To be honest, each affiliate pretty much had a different rate. I know I was paying per signup to a few. To one person I was paying 80% recurring for life just because he ran a tgp and I wanted him to dump my main competitor so I could get the spot. Didin't really make any money on the joins but I am sure the competition felt the heat. And I got upsells in the members area.

You need to remember that any time you get someone to put a banner up for your site and NOT someone elses you get a chance to grow and take away business from a competitor.

When deteriming the standard payout % you can take into account things like.
    1. Are there traffic leaks.
    2. Is there a cross-sell (which I hate when someone does a cross sell if I am marketing a Rev share program)
    3. Is there geo tracking that the original webmaster is not getting paid for?
    4. Is the original refering webmaster getting paid for check, 900, dialer and any other of these?
    5. What does the paysite realistically think the upsells in the members area will be. On my asian paysite it was considerable.

If the paysite owner has any of these, then the payout can be increased to attract more webmasters.

The most profitable situations are going to be deals that he or she works out with high traffic sites that can actually generate a decent amount of sales. As the Mastercard commercial says, the value of these webmasters is PRICELESS!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy
    From past experience I have found that there are two levels of webmasters.
    1. Those who signup and send a trickle of sugnups here and there.
    2. Those that aggressively market your site in a niche they are familiar with and have lots of traffic. These guys are the ones you want.
    I would actually have to disagree with you on that.

I would much rather have 100 affiliates who can send in a trickle of sales over a month than 1 affiliate that aggressively markets my sites and can send 100 sales alone.

The 100 that send in a trickle of sales demand much less than the affiliate who markets aggressively.

I have a couple of guys on Condom Cash that are sending between 50-100 sales a month and they are constantly the ones who are asking for more content to giveaway for free, more custom banners in sizes that no one else is ever going to want to use, free hosting, you name it.

In essence, the affiliates who are capable of sending a lot of sales are also the ones that cause me 99% of my stress running the program.

I would much rather have 100 affiliates making me 100 new sales a month with no stress than 1 affiliate making me 100 sales a month with a lot of stress.

Not to mention, the second that 1 affiliate decides to stop promoting my sites, im out 100 sales a month whilst, the chances of all 100 of the other affiliates dropping the program on the same day/week/month are considerably smaller.

With me it isnt about the short-term rewards but rather, the long-term profits and statistically, the 100 affiliates who are able to start off sending 1 sale or so a month are a lot more likely to grow their signup levels than the guy already sending 100 sales a month.

Regards,

Lee

abostonboy
    I guess we disagree on this one Lee.

Maybe I had better luck with my big fish as they were linklist owners like myself. Or maybe since my site was all exclusive content I just gave them what they wanted, even though I can't say I ever gave them content.

Designing a specific banner or fpa or even BUYING content for someone sending me 100 signups a month is no big deal for me as far as I am concerned.

I mean in any business you want BOTH for sure. I am just saying that I like making deals with the big players. By no means are they the only ones that I want. But If I can do a banner swap on exit and get an extra 100 signups a month I will make a deal and take care of them.

As for the site I had and the low number of affiliates, it was because I had the traffic and never really intended to open it outside to anyone else. It was just since I was constantly submitting feeder sites and galleries to certain places, that the webmasters wanted to market the site as well.

In fact Dennis at Hunkhunters demanded that he be allowed to market it. That was cool as he is a good friend.

I guess what was different about my situation, since they were the only ones marketing the site, their conversions were musch better as it was a fresh site.

To me someone sending 50-60 signups a month is not a big fish by any means. MOTN if you get on their front page can send you 25 in a day. And you wont get on their front page by offering the standard 50%