Thread: New Disc Drive?

maxpower

New Disc Drive?

I need to order a new disc drive, I was just wondering if it matters what kind I get “compliance” with my PC, and if anyone had some suggestions what I should get/where I should get it.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower
    I need to order a new disc drive, I was just wondering if it matters what kind I get “compliance” with my PC, and if anyone had some suggestions what I should get/where I should get it.
    If you have a Fry's near you, I've found that they almost always have drives on sale. Depending on the age of your machine, SATA drives are a bit faster, but older machines don't have SATA interfaces on the motherboard.

As far as brands go, I go for Seagate when I have a choice, 'cause they have 5 year warranties, but other than that, they're all pretty much the same. I do find that Seagates and Maxtors tend to break less than Western Digitals.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfunk
    If you have a Fry's near you, I've found that they almost always have drives on sale. Depending on the age of your machine, SATA drives are a bit faster, but older machines don't have SATA interfaces on the motherboard.

As far as brands go, I go for Seagate when I have a choice, 'cause they have 5 year warranties, but other than that, they're all pretty much the same. I do find that Seagates and Maxtors tend to break less than Western Digitals.

Thax man, that will really help so I guess it does not matter what kind of PC I have as far as the disc drive goes. Its just this is the first time I have changed a disc drive on my own “I have done the hard drive stuff on my own”

BTW I think I will just order it online, I do not know why but 90% of every I pay for is online.

we've had good luck with maxtor although we have one box with a seagate that has been going strong for quite a while.

i wouldn't order it online but then i live 15 - 20 minutes from the fry's in burbank and i hate to wait.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Im a big Maxtor fan myself, we have about 20 of their drives scattered throughout the office, house and garage here, its all we seem to buy

Regards,

Lee

abostonboy
    Maximum PC likes the Western Digital Cavier SE16. It's 500 gigs, and costs $295. They gave it a 9 (kickass rating).

This is a link to the 400gig

http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/11/wd_caviar_se_16.html

Basically they said the 500 gig is even better in their building a pc special magazine edition.

I have 2 of the 400gigs in a raid config and LOVE it.

There conclusion was, "the fact that it performs as well as the fastest hard drive we could find and offers more capacity makes it more than good enough for us."

abostonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    i wouldn't order it online but then i live 15 - 20 minutes from the fry's in burbank and i hate to wait.
    Damn. I wish I was there.

abostonboy
    Max,

I wouldn't order online. PCMag did an article about that. their conclusion was when shopping for price, even some major sites were getting either refurbed and selling as new or were getting gray market stuff. To someone who does not know what they are buying its so easy to change a sticker etc. I was shocked when I read the article.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    we've had good luck with maxtor although we have one box with a seagate that has been going strong for quite a while.

Ya I do not like to wait too, but I do not know where a Fry’s or anything else is in Long Beach. It will just be a few days to get it in the mail and really I have so much to do already so its no big deal.

maxpower
    Thanks all you guys and girls this did help me allot in picking my disc drive, I will take care of that tonight and get this ball rolling.

abostonboy
    Buy from new egg then

newegg.com

they are really good.

I build pcs for people and NEVER had a problem with them.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy
    Buy from new egg then

newegg.com

they are really good.

I build pcs for people and NEVER had a problem with them.

Ok I will look online at them this AM Thax

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Newegg is an excellent choice, prices are competitive and they are one of the rare online shops that actually cares about service and your experiences with them.

Fry's also has an online site, it's called outpost.com, and their prices are generally the same or very close to what the prices are in the store.

As for Maxtor drives, my experience is they are excellent *IF* you are going to have them in a computer where they will be cooled adequately. They haven't worked so well for me in portable drive enclosures; lots and lots of failures. I read somewhere that they don't handle high heat as well as some of the other brands.

Depending on what size you need, if you look around, you can usually find a 300 gig drive for about $100; going for the 400 or 500 gig drives, you'll pay a heckuva premium because they are the newest techology... and you can still store a LOT of stuff on a 300 gig.