Thread: 62 Years Ago Today...

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

62 Years Ago Today...

Hundreds of thousands of troops lost their lives and there's nothing about it in the newspapers or on the news.. WTF is that about?

How soon we as a society forget about the things that shaped our lives.

Regards,

Lee

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    http://www.cnn.com

Not a mention of it on CNN

Regards,

Lee

Madame0120
    CNN did a short piece on D Day this morning.

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Hundreds of thousands of troops lost their lives and there's nothing about it in the newspapers or on the news.. WTF is that about?

How soon we as a society forget about the things that shaped our lives.

Regards,

Lee

The US Army estimated 1500 deaths and historian John Keegan estimated 2500 Allied deaths with over 10,000 casualties [injuries]

Not exactly hundreds of thousands. Drama queen.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs...753747,00.html

However, adding up all the Allied deaths throughout WWII would be hundreds of thousands, just not all during the Operation Overlord invasion. And lest we not forget all the civilians who had their lives taken from them. It was my understanding from my history classes in college that more civilians died during the firebombings of Dresden than the atomic attack on Hiroshima. And we forget those too~
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

CorbinFisher.com CorbinFisher_BD's Avatar
    Not to take anything away from those that fought and died in WW2 on the whole and the Normandy landings in particular, but part of me is somewhat thankful stories about it aren't smothering newscasts today (though I have seen it mentioned most every place I read my news throughout the day).

I think there are other conflicts that should instead be dominating the news - Iraq in particular.

And I always get a bit alarmed when I see too much coverage of war anniversaries and memorial days and other such things - I say all this despite being a former servicemember myself - because way too many politicians use such events as an excuse to whip up blind patriotism and loyalty to modern day conflicts and too many citizens are eagerly suckered in to it.

Sadly, patriotism and remembrance have been tainted by attempts to redefine them as lemming-like support for bad policy.

CorbinFisher's Amateur College Men

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    Uh ... Lee?
    No need to be so surprised when past and recent Iraq war veterans are homeless.