Thread: Should we sell a domain?

Top Cat

Should we sell a domain?

We received an unsolicitied offer for a domain we own and I'm wondering your thoughts about it.

Without being too specific, it's a short name that includes the word "bear" and references movies. The offer seems petty good (well into the thousands) but obviously our concern is whether they will compete with us and we'll regret selling them the domain. Obviously we don't know anything about them (hotmail account is about it) so don't know what their intentions are.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks.

Dzinerbear
    If you've got a good domain involving bears and videos I'd hold on to it. The money they're offering might be nice in the short-term, but think about how much money you could make by putting up a simple links page and redirecting traffic to yourself and other sponsors.

I wouldn't sell it.

Michael

Xstr8guy
    Andy, I don't think you have much to fear in the way of competition. Bearfilms is head-and-shoulder above any potential newcomers. Besides, competition is ultimately healthy.

But on the other hand, a few thousand dollars for a good domain is not really going to make a significant dent on your bottom line. I would keep it and build feeder sites, a blog, a TGP... something to drive traffic to BF. In the long run, that would provide a lot more value than selling it.

robin
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat
    it's a short name that includes the word "bear" and references movies.
    Then that's a keeper. There's no way I'd sell it. I'd be at least feeding into bearfilms with it somehow; probably something simple.

Top Cat
    Thanks all! The bossman just turned down their offer so we still own the domain!

Xstr8guy
    So, tell us what it was! Curious.

Top Cat
    LOL, well looks like I spoke too soon! My boss turned them down flat, then they called back and doubled the offer so it was in line with what he had set as a reasonable return. We had more conversations (and he read this thread) and decided to sell after all.

Part of the reasoning was that we have no plans to develop the domain and it doesn't fit into our future business direction. And the name is not so strong or unqiue that we are giving advantage to a competitor (and we don't think the buyer will be a direct competitor, although we are all cometitng for the same niche traffic).

The domain is bearflix.com, BTW.

robin
    OK if you guys have anymore domains that you simply don't know what to do with just transfer them over to me....There's no emoticon to express my feelings right now.

Top Cat
    Quote Originally Posted by robin
    OK if you guys have anymore domains that you simply don't know what to do with just transfer them over to me....There's no emoticon to express my feelings right now.
    Let me started on the paperwork for NewUseForSheep.com right now! Oh and you know those "boys' first time" sites? Well we have one at the other end of the spectrum, GrampsLastTime.com, I'll be giving you too.

robin
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat
    Let me started on the paperwork for NewUseForSheep.com right now! Oh and you know those "boys' first time" sites? Well we have one at the other end of the spectrum, GrampsLastTime.com, I'll be giving you too.
    :thumbsup: Waiting for the transfer email -- I can do both.