Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting A Lot

abostonboy

Posting A Lot

Ok.

Let's all try and come up with good topics where we can all learn a bit and hopefully a certain text topic will goto page two.

Hhehehehe.

maxpower
    Well we can talk about that program or others you suggested to manage your members site content I was looking at the one you suggested, is that a really good one?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    Ok...

:penny:

The first poster to make it to page 2 gets to spend a magic night with abostonboy...in Boston

abostonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower
    Well we can talk about that program or others you suggested to manage your members site content I was looking at the one you suggested, is that a really good one?
    Ughhh....

Max,

Post a little details about what your members area goals are and maybe i or someone else can help you.

IF at first it's mostly plug in content, then don't stress right away about CMS. Stress more on a layout that you like.

Managing mostly feeds and a small amount of content that you actually have may take less time than setting up the CMS and customizing it..

To MOST I would recommend a CMS, but I am not sure that it may be right for YOU. It's just another expense that you may not need right now.

maxpower
    Well you said something about this one http://awizsoft.com/paysite/ I was looking at the demo, but I was wondering if I could add graphics around some of the features. Like when updating videos, the polls for voting favorite content, if it would move around the content so people would see fresh stuff they have not seen yet, stuff like that.

Despite pubic opinion, I do need something to manage my content, “or trust me I would not waist any money” and right now when I am having the graphic for my members area redone would be a good time to think about how these programs will work with said graphics. It just looks kinda plan in the demo, I was just wondering how much I can personalize it.

maxpower
    Some other questions I might have are, if I change hosts in the future will it effect these things?

In the future if I need a more expensive program with more features is it relatively easy change programs?

How long does it take to learn all this and set it up?

:nerd:

abostonboy
    Max,

I personally like awiz deluxe at 349. Others may say site depth or the NATS CMS.

I feel the learning curve on site depth to be higher. I know of some webmasters that have spent a lot of work customizing it.

There are certain features that I personally like aboy awiz that are easy to implement. But these features may not be what you are looking for.

To answer the questions about how easy it is to move to a different server, I really cant answer.

I did one server move with a lot of scripts, and the other hosting company really did it all for me as well as change one script I have. Others will be able to answer this better.

abostonboy
    Concerning the learning curve, it depends on your skills i guess.

I mean try installing worpresss and change templates and get it the way you like. That's a good test of what you can do.

maxpower
    Well you where talking about a program that will move around content so viewers will see something new every time they come to the site will awiz deluxe do that for me?

I guess it would be easy to add the graphics around thumbnails and videos I could just do that to each of them before I uploaded the files, but could this do that for me so I would only need to upload the image and it would just put it in the frame or what ever you want to call it for me. “this would save me some time you know”

And what about the polls I see some sites that have a graphics frame around the poll will this do that for me, “I guess this question dose go back to the previous one”

abostonboy
    As far as I know it does not.

Max,

I don't want to think I am being rude. But the best advice I can give you is contact them. Tell them what you want to do, see if it does it. My experience with that system is minimal. I have helped two webmasters set it up. One was an earlier version.

The feature that I like mose about it is it allows you to offer trial memberships, but only give say the first two clips in a series or the first 20 pics. they have to upgrade to get the rest. I dont think site depth allows this but i may be wrong. BUT, I heard the new NATS version is going to rock. But, very expensive as well.

Please contact them and ask them your questions. Then post the results on teh board. I will respect you if you can actually answer that question.

They are the best at knowing what their system does and may even be able to tell you what the next version will do.

maxpower
    Well then what did you use to that moved around you content to keep it fresh for you viewers? You did say you had that right? As I recall you said I should get that, I was just wondering where to get stuff like that. NATS is a bit to much for me now, kinda why I asked about how easy it would be upgrading later on

abostonboy
    Max,

I used my own CMS.

I would give it to you, but that was two years ago. And when I launch my sites I won't use that system. It's just not polished enouh at all. And what I knew as far as php and what I know now are too different things.

I WAS working on a CMS using worpress as my members area and sortta mimicing whats on the inside on the outside. Only instead of having what on the tour link to the feed or gallery or videos, it would link to a join page.

Now I have swithed to Serendipity so that whole project is so far off. And with that I have the issue of rotating fresh galleries.

Max, visit the forums there and ask

Here is a link I found for you
    http://awizsoft.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=166

It looks like if you get the deluxe version they will mod it to do whatever you want. Within reason. And if they wont go on gfy and you will find someone that can....

As far as the templates you control what borders you want around the images and all that.

One thing I like about awiz and many CMS is that when you add a new model you can have it appear in your tour without having to manually edit the tour. the script does it. And remember a s urfer may visit your tour more than once and we all know one mode they like can make a sale.

abostonboy
    http://awizsoft.com/member1.html

This is an example.

Man, one reason i recommended this is because you seem on a budget, Its a decent price and you can pay in 3 payments.

Go to their boars and ask any questions you may have.

I believe Danger Dave used it a few years back and really liked it.

abostonboy
    Oh Man

This is getting to be a long post. When the time comes for you to upgrade to Nats, chances are you will be using their affiliate system and teh content system. And at that point I wouldnt worry about upgrade issues as much. IF you get to that position, You will have the capital to pretty much get whatever system you want to do whatever you want via hiring someone. There are many guys that are familiar with NATS and can do amazing things for you. And anything you may want done may run you some cash, but it will be small in comparisone to what you are investing in your overall infrastructure.

I dont want to give you wrong advice. i would contact them and see what they can do.

Thats the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower
    Some other questions I might have are, if I change hosts in the future will it effect these things?
    Yes, using a CMS can dramatically affect you easily moving from hosting companies or even to another server within the same host. Most hosts will try to move programs, but invariably you'll probably find you need to have the company of the program come back in and re-install it. So make smart decisions about who you want to host with, size and speed of server you order, etc prior to starting the installation of CMS (carma, content god, awiz, sitedepth, whatever), shopping carts, affiliate tracking software (such as nats) merchant accounts, strongbox or sparta, etc.

There are often very specific adjustments that have to happen and customization of a server to work hand in hand with the various scripts and programs used to dynamically run a cash program of websites.

In the future if I need a more expensive program with more features is it relatively easy change programs?
    Not ususally. You'll probably need to create a subdomain to build in the new program, once it's up and running you can then redirect and delete the old one.

How long does it take to learn all this and set it up?
    It really depends on your cgi, php, css and smarty.php editing abilities. Editing templates is a pain in the ass and every program seems to use a different template system, database and parsing rules. Encoded backend pages aren't editable and you have to be able to understand the rules you have to work in and design AROUND the program - trying to force a design that wasn't built with their templates in mind will cause hours upon hours of agony trying to get them to work right.