Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do .wmv files not play in Firefox?

Marc

Do .wmv files not play in Firefox?

Im putting some .wmv movie clips on a page and when I click to play them in Firefox I get an error.
    But when I open the same url in IE to play them they play fine, .

Is there a workaround for this?
    thanks

Marc
    btw how many users are on Firefox compared to IE?
    Is this worth converting everything over to .mpg for?

Paco
    Marc – that URL I posted in your resolution query is for browser stats, and contains stats on (bingo) … browsers.

--> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Dzinerbear
    These may help you:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206213

Cheers
    Michael

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco
    Marc – that URL I posted in your resolution query is for browser stats, and contains stats on (bingo) … browsers.

--> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    thanks!
    Wow 25% of surfers use Firefox. And no one else has troublems with .wmv with their surfers?

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    I believe that WMV sometimes have issues with firefox. There are time when I'd load a WMV movie and Firefox would load like a web page.

From waht I remember when I looked into it sometimes your server doesn't send the right file info to FF

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I had this issue and it took forever to figure it out.

Turns out it's a configuration issue in Apache on your web server (assuming that you're using a Linux-based web server.) If you maintain your own server, You have to manually edit the configuration file that handles mime-types and add the appropriate entry to support wmv files. If your host does maintenance for you, ask them to do it.

The reason it happens only with Firefox is that Explorer is a little more forgiving and can figure out what to do if the appropriate entry isn't present in the mime-types config for WMV files, but Firefox needs to have things configured correctly.

If your host has no idea what I'm talking about, PM me and I'll see if I can dig up the required entry and the file it goes in.

Marc
    Excellent information thanks a lot. Ill talk about it with my host

wwc-pajio
    ....I'm having lot of problems with Firefox.. and not playing .wmv files is one of the problems.. sometimes I hit submit and the page will go back to the previous one... :hmmph:

I think it's fucked up..

One of the other issues to deal with is that Media Player 10 does not play nice with firefox. I think I remember someone suggesting going back to Media Player 9 if you are using firefox.

I use MP9 and it works fine in firefox. One other machine here has MP10 and firefox won't play ebmedded wmv files.

You also have to be careful with the wmv file paths if you're embedding in a page. firefox can't follow some path structure, so if the file isn't in the same directory with the page it is embedded in, you have to put the entire path into the object code.

abostonboy
    Some do for me, some don't on one compuer it works better on another it doesn't but I remember doing some extension on the other.

And many times instead of them opening up the player they download then open up the player. whears explorer they play in th eplayer as they download.

I only use explorer when i surf paysites.

abostonboy
    I can't go back to 9. I tried and had the worst time and gave up.

Does this help. I am too tired to try...

https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q=wmv&app=firefox

abostonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MWCren
    One of the other issues to deal with is that Media Player 10 does not play nice with firefox. I think I remember someone suggesting going back to Media Player 9 if you are using firefox.
    How? I want to so bad. When I download and try install I get the you have the latest version bla bla bla.

There must be a regisrty entry I can change?

TheWhack
    I have never had a problem playing wmv files in firefox.. firefox is my default browser....

and about 45% of the surfers on my site use firefox now...

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    It's not a problem with the browser. It's a problem with the info the web server *sends* to the browser. Explorer is smart enough to know to open Media Player when it detects a file that looks like a WMV file. Firefox for some reason requires that the file type be sent by the web server.