Thread: If a domain name you want is taken, are you better off...

Marc

If a domain name you want is taken, are you better off...

If a domain name you want is taken, are you better off getting the .net version of the domain, or just getting the .com name and putting something like "xxx" or "online" at the end of it?

Theres a domain I want and its so fucking perfect, but its taken by a domain name company that doesnt sell.
    So I dont know if I should just throw XXX at the end of it, or Movies, or something, or just buy the .net version.

ty for any opinion on this.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Well first, if a name that i really want is taken, i backorder it through Godaddy and Pool.

Then, ill check for alternatives although personally, i stopped registering domains ending in TLDs other than .com a few years ago unless they are country specific such as gaywebmasters.eu

Regards,

Lee

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Well first, if a name that i really want is taken, i backorder it through Godaddy and Pool.

Then, ill check for alternatives although personally, i stopped registering domains ending in TLDs other than .com a few years ago unless they are country specific such as gaywebmasters.eu

Regards,

Lee
    yeah, it expires in 2008 and i wont wait that long.
    so for you its .com or nothing?

I have to say I dont know many successful sites that are .net or .org
    I know thehun.net, manhunt.net, and craigslist.org, and thats it

abostonboy
    I agree with Lee.

But it depends on what you want to do with it really. If it has good search engine keywords and its for feeder sites, then the net could work.

I mean I had a domain that was a crappy doamin name, but a dot com and it got good search engine traffic as i set my pages right. Then someone better than me did the same domain as me only with .info and got me out of my SE spots. Still trying to figure that out.

.tv can be good for video sites. fratmen.tv, and look at tylersroom.net.

I think the hard part to swallow if you develop a good name othet than .com and it becomes wellknown, then someone can put up a .com and benefit.

I bet justusboys gets lots of linkmeallover.com search words when they first bought linkmeallover.ca

AND if you find a .com you like register org, net, and .tv if you really plan on doing something big.

consider names that are trademarked. you won't know which ones they are. personally i don't buy a domain if there's a developed site on the alternative TLD.

My 2 cents, and this has worked very well for me in the past, take the amount you expect to make in the first year of owning and using the domain and divide it by 24.

Offer that as your 1st and only bid, 98% of the time you'll get the domain.

I have no idea how this works and maybe my figures for what I expect from a domain are too 'out there' but its proven itself to me time and time again with any I have really wanted that were already owned.

But if they REALLY won't sell then add the XXX (to the end)

Good luck...sounds like you having a gret idea brewing in your head and just need that certain domain to start rockin'!!!!!

Best

Dave
    Domain inventory sale.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    personally i don't buy a domain if there's a developed site on the alternative TLD.

Totally agree. On another board, somebody was promoting their new site, ratemycock.info. I didn't read carefully, and ended up at ratemycock.com (which appears to be TOTALLY non-2257 compliant).

If I as a presumably knowledgeable webmaster who should know enough to tell the difference between a .info and a .com am going to the wrong site, I can't imagine how much traffic the .com site is going to get from surfers that don't pay attention.

While .net is more known than .info, I still wouldn't suggest going with anything other than .com, unless you're planning to buy the .com from a squatter and want to build some brand identity in the meantime.

abostonboy
    A little off subject, but if someone owns say the singular and you can grab the plural and there is a decent site on the cingular. Hehehe. It can be a bargain.

Dzinerbear
    You can always throw a hyphen into the domain. Of course, you'll run into the same problem where people forget the hyphen and then you're losing traffic. I wouldn't bother with any of the other TLDs, I can never keep them straight and I always end up typing .com.

Cheers
    Michael

unless its something like gay.net, I would always get the .com version first.

Marc
    Good advice thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy
    A little off subject, but if someone owns say the singular and you can grab the plural and there is a decent site on the cingular. Hehehe. It can be a bargain.
    thats a Great idea, but if I do plural then it will be "ies" at the end and not just "s" :-(

abostonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Good advice thanks everyone.

thats a Great idea, but if I do plural then it will be "ies" at the end and not just "s" :-(
    that's a different story, but so many "hubs of say avs sites that get traffic" registered a singular, and now as domains come up, so do the plurals. nice way of snabbing some avs sales.