Thread: interlacing - caused in recording or in editing?

interlacing - caused in recording or in editing?

still being fairly new to video (it's my one year anniversary), i have never had an interlaced video show up from my own work till now. after fucking with this video in three programs, i did a little reading which didn't entirely agree with itself.

so all you folks with video shooting and editing experience - is interlacing caused by a setting in the camcorder, the capture program or the editing program?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Isnt interlacing caused when the motion is recorded? That was always my understanding and tht when you edit the movie you can 'de' interlace the clip?

With that in mind, im gonna say its caused by the recording, probably something to do with the amount of frames being used to capture the movie.

Im probably waaaayyy off base with that though LOL

Regards,

Lee

You can choose the de-interlace option in your capture program to avoid this issue.

A video frame is made up of two fields. Interlacing is the process of scanning the picture onto a video screen whereby the lines of one scanned field fall evenly between the lines of the preceding field. When you digitize video from tape the program keeps the two fields as one causing interlacing.

Deinterlacing is when you separate an interlaced frame into two separate fields instead of combining them as one.

Most all video programs have the option to deinterlace video as your digitizing it, or after as well.

Hope this helps :gaydays:

Squirt - while i can deinterlace, i have never had to before and deinterlacing causes some softness. i'm concerned - one, because this is the first time one of my vids is interlaced and two, because i did not change anything so i have to find what is causing this either in my camcorder or my capturing or editing.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Patti,

I just did a quick G search and found this link..

http://neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

That looks like it goes in to a lot of detail about interlacing so im sure you'll be able to find out what the cause was there

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    Squirt - while i can deinterlace, i have never had to before and deinterlacing causes some softness. i'm concerned - one, because this is the first time one of my vids is interlaced and two, because i did not change anything so i have to find what is causing this either in my camcorder or my capturing or editing.
    The capturing program is what chooses to interlace or de-interlace. Most editing programs also have this option.

If you are getting blury video try de-interlacing the odd field instead of the even, or vica versa.

I can't tell you why it's interlacing on it's own all of a sudden. Something has had to have changed... or a program went to default setting somehow for some reason?

You can capture video de-interlaced, then edit in another program that is interlacing the video. You could also capture interlaced and edit in another program which can de-interlace. If both your capture program AND edit program have options for interlacing make sure they are BOTH set to de-interlace and your final output should be fine. :groovy:

it's not blurry - it has tiny lines where the motion is.

and that's my concern - SOMETHING has changed in my chain of video but i don't know whether it's in the camcorder, capture or render. it's not in the editing i do after the first rendering because i'm seeing interlaced video at that stage in more than one program.

thanks for the link, lee. i'll be checking that out!

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    Squirt - while i can deinterlace, i have never had to before and deinterlacing causes some softness.
    Ah ok thought blury = softness there

Does your camera have a de-interlace option? If not, then it's not your camcorder.

It's most likely your capture program. Have you checked the capture programs de-interlace setting?

Did someone say cocktail? steven619's Avatar

interlace

There are a few ways to "fix" this issue but they all have trade-offs.
    One is, if your camera supports it, is to recored in Progressive.

Here is a good link: http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Pa...ogressive.aspx

If you already have a video that is done (in interlace) then there is a few settings you can use in your encoding software.

Another presentation you can take a look at is at http://www.redapplemedia.com/2006forum . It was our session at the Phoenix Forum about encoding and "terms".

But there are also tricks such as limiting the size of your player window, decrease keyframe, increase bit rate...the options are endless but none the less fun to play with.

This could change depending on what you are using (Windows, Real, Quicktime)
    Steven: 619-269-7442 x401
    Red Apple Media
    Hosting, Development, and video Streaming
    San Diego, CA
    Home PageFacebook

basement
    Hey Patti
    Don't you hate it when you are sure you have done nothing different and suddenly you get a different result than before. Fucking computers!!!

yes, i sure do

i know it means a setting SOMEWHERE has changed - but where and on what?

Quote Originally Posted by basement
    Hey Patti
    Don't you hate it when you are sure you have done nothing different and suddenly you get a different result than before. Fucking computers!!!