Thread: creating subjects for posts and emails

creating subjects for posts and emails

i see a lot of webmasters who don't include their subject AS the subject of their posts/emails. you'll see something like

READ THIS
    or
    Important - Please Read!

in the subject instead of
    NAMEOFPROGRAM Webmasters - Console Free Links Added

you'll also see posts with subjects like
    I Can't Believe This!
    rather than a subject that tells us WHAT the post is about.

so basically webmasters are not attracting truly interested webmasters to read their emails or posts - instead they are attracting blind link traffic. those of us who don't read every thread or spam email and have limited time may miss a post that would have been interesting to us when you don't let us know what the email/post is about.

TheWhack
    Yeah, what she said.

Usually if it's a subject line like that, I just delete it. Subject line is what gets my attention to read the email.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    You know, i dont even bother reading the subject line in my emails anymore LOL

If i dont recognize the name of the sender, it gets deleted.

I figure if its an important email and it gets deleted by mistake, the person who sent it should be smart enough to figure out how to reach me.

As for posts on message boards, i typically read all of them (where GWW is concerned) but have started replying to only a few).

Regards,

Lee

Goldie
    I know what you mean about titles and subjects. I agree, sometimes that can be more of a challenge to write than the entire message. I write all the press releases for XonDemand and I often spend just as long on the subject as I do on the entire body. Because you know if the subject isn't eye-catching and to the point, no one will read the rest of the message anyway. So it is a skill to be able to come up with eye-catching subjects/titles...

Paco
    yah, talk about annoying.

What chaffs me is the offenders that are supposed to be 'web masters'.

It did not take me long to realize that members and web masters were not reading my mail, because they thought it was spam. I even went so far as to add 'freebies' (free content & time) to my messages.
    So, in 2000 I decided that all outbound mail from me would have what I consider a proper subject line.

Real simple:

webmaster support
    Subject: [LargeCash - Paco] webmaster ID XXXX (free content)
    &
    customer support
    Subject: [Emit support - Paco] Member assistance - subscription ID XXXXXXXXXX (login errors)

Guess not everyone is for making life simple.

that works really well, Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco
    yah, talk about annoying.

What chaffs me is the offenders that are supposed to be 'web masters'.

It did not take me long to realize that members and web masters were not reading my mail, because they thought it was spam. I even went so far as to add 'freebies' (free content & time) to my messages.
    So, in 2000 I decided that all outbound mail from me would have what I consider a proper subject line.

Real simple:

webmaster support
    Subject: [LargeCash - Paco] webmaster ID XXXX (free content)
    &
    customer support
    Subject: [Emit support - Paco] Member assistance - subscription ID XXXXXXXXXX (login errors)

Guess not everyone is for making life simple.