Thread: Flat Screen Wall Mounted TVs - Who Has One?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Flat Screen Wall Mounted TVs - Who Has One?

Gary and I are looking to get a couple of new flat panel TVs for the bedroom and TV room and we confused about how to connect the DVD players, cable box and sound system to the TVs once they are mounted on the wall.

Was just wondering, if you have one of these types of TV, how have you set you additional equipment up? Below the TV on the floor or, in some spare closet space with wiring going through the walls?

Also, how easy is it to get the TVs mounted, is it something we can do or would you suggest that we get someone else to install them professionally?

We're looking at the 40" Panasonic models right now for the TV room and the 28" for the bedroom wall and it would be nice to know how we would go about setting the other machines up without them just kinda being dumped below the TVs and looking messy LOL

Regards,

Lee

Paco
    uh uh.
    old computer
    old tv
    old stereo
    no DVD player
    Guess I am somewhat of a Luddite.

I do not spend enough time @ home (let alone in front of the tube), so something like that would be a huge waste, plus, I'd have to take down all my gear (skis, bicycles, skates, kites, ropes ...).

It's weird that one group would take refracted light. Pretty greedy, gays. EonFilms_Rocky's Avatar
    i have a wall mounted flat screen, with a dvd player, PS2, VCR and DVR-Cable box all hooked in.

It's really simple. Here is how mine is set up:

The Red, Blue and Green cables from the TV to the DVD player (if you don't have DVR-Cable, I suggest you get it.. it's worth the money, unless you already have TiVO)

S-Cable from the VCR to the TV

Composite A/V wires from the PS2 to the TV

Standard cable from the box to the tv

That is how I am set up and it works great:

To play a video game, we put the TV on "Composite Video"
    To watch a DVD, we put the TV on "YCbCr"
    To watch a VHS (which we rarely do), we put the TV on "S-Cable"
    And to watch TV, we click "TV"

Hope this helps!

Rocky
    AIM: EonFilmsSDiego
    AIM Mobile: BeachBoiSDiego
    Yahoo: sandiegoartpunk
    MSN Messenger: beachboi4free@hotmail.com
    Phone: 619-944-6383
    MySpace: www.myspace.com/eonfilms & www.myspace.com/mynameisrocky

It's weird that one group would take refracted light. Pretty greedy, gays. EonFilms_Rocky's Avatar
    The sound system is easy. The TV has stereo cable output on the back of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Gary and I are looking to get a couple of new flat panel TVs for the bedroom and TV room and we confused about how to connect the DVD players, cable box and sound system to the TVs once they are mounted on the wall.

Was just wondering, if you have one of these types of TV, how have you set you additional equipment up? Below the TV on the floor or, in some spare closet space with wiring going through the walls?

Also, how easy is it to get the TVs mounted, is it something we can do or would you suggest that we get someone else to install them professionally?

We're looking at the 40" Panasonic models right now for the TV room and the 28" for the bedroom wall and it would be nice to know how we would go about setting the other machines up without them just kinda being dumped below the TVs and looking messy LOL

Regards,

Lee
    I put my wires in the walls and ran them into a cabinet that had all of my equipment in it. They are REALLY easy, if not time consuming, to mount. Be careful not to put it too high on the wall... I started having a lot of back and neck issues when mine was mounted too high. And make sure you have the bracket in place over studs in your wall before you start bolting it in, or else one day you'll be watching reruns of Golden Girls and your wall will come tumbling down.

Rocky

Meant to be Obscene, not Heard. HotMaleVideos's Avatar
    The mounting part is simple enough if you know about looking for studs, etc. Not much different from hanging anything else heavy.

I was lucky since I could put the flat screen TV against a wall that has a closet directly behind it. Not much cable running to do. All the components are in the closet.

At my BF's place, not so lucky. He didn't want to run cables through the wall so he just went with a simple corner TV stand that didn't take up too much floor space.

Today the USA, tommorrow the World collegeboyslive's Avatar
    aah Lee, now you are in MY domain its faily simple to run the wires inside the wall, assuming its in tnterior drywall. and it will look the best. just locate where you want the equipemtn and where you have the TV, then i am assuming you have attic acess above , get up over there the tv is and drill a hole in the wood stud above, feed a glow rod or fishtape in, with someone below with a small hole cut in the drywall behind the tv, get the other end out the hole then attach the cables and pul back. then revers the prosess for the equipment end.

need longer cables? check a cable or ewlectonic supless store. they usually sell it by the foot, just remember to OVER estimate not under.

hope that helps

zac
    Video feeds and content available to webmasters:
    http://demo.collegeboyslive.com http://affiliates.collegeboyslive.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Ah cool thanks guys

So basically, if we mount these TVs on the walls, we need to have somewhere that we can put the DVD player and stuff so they arent just sat on the floor.

That sounds simple enough we have a bunch of un-used closet space atm

Thanks for all your help i appreciate it :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lee

When can we come over for movie night?

krusher
    I actually work for a call center that handles the Sharp Aquos series. One nice alternative that some sets have is having a 2 piece system: the flat panel and a avc box that everything plugs into and hidden away, and one system cable that goes the the unit. I talk to people all the time and it is a bitch when you have to get behind that and it is mounted. Not to mention that Lcd's are somewhat fragile. Once broken, it has to be replaced, cant be repaired. High def signals can go across three different cable types:component, dvi, and hdmi (which I would use if given the choice.)

You can get one that can have a cable card so you can have cable box programming without the cable box, but they are plagued with issues IMO and I would stay away from them (overrated).

We have one of the only 1080p units out right now. The aquos 37d90u. But its $$. And have you seen the 65 inch...........tv that is.:pie: