Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domain Names

Gay is the new Black

Domain Names

How do you price them? (Yes I know the shorter the name and the closer to the niche you get the name as well as .com is better)

My question is if I had a .com sitting around for a year and didn't want it any more (no time to put into it) - how would I go about selling it for the right market price... What is the right market price?

I know a few will say the registration cost is the market price but that would be if you got the name first.

Gay is the new Black
    Sorry - The .com in question is gaypayout.com - would make a good .com for anyone with an affiliate program or load of sites to affiliate.

I have been tossing around the idea of keeping it and building it into an affiliate myself or turning it into a link/traffic whore with affiliate programs that work blog-esq kind of thing but like I said - I just don't have time for it.

Thanks

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    Hey cool - thanks for the little brief introduction

I hope you have a fun time here

Greets

DEVELISH

abostonboy
    It's worth $10

Dzinerbear
    I think it's worth more than $10. You could probably get $200 for it if you posted it on a board and got some bidding happening. But I doubt you'd get more than that for it.

Michael

abostonboy
    Maybe,

But some really good domain names are going for $25 on gfy.

I guess you would have to find someone that really really wants a domain name for a gay affiliate program, and doesnt want to go the branding route or take the time to go search for one.

The problem is there are really some good ones waiting to be registered.

It's like ebay. You list at .99 and IF a few people get in a bidding war it can sell for $500 or one person comes in and snags it for .99 (I am not talking domain names, just anything in general.)

Find the right person at the right time and you may sell it.

I just said $10 because domain prices have really dropped. I am grabbing about 5 a week now that have expired or just never taken. The market seems to be very low.... Good time to buy, not really sell.

basically a domain with no traffic is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. you never know what will catch a webmaster's imagination.

we have a domain that had existing webmaster traffic, and what i thought was a good and memorable name - cockscash.com - and the highest offer i got was $100. the end of that story is i still have it. i've seen worse domains go for far more.

why not put it up for sale on a few places including gfy and sedo and see how it goes?

Gay is the new Black
    bass - Thanks - I'll put something together and give that a shot if I do end up casting it off and not working with it

Doctor Dre
    I suggest you go on all gay webmaster sites and post it in the spam forum. You might be able to get a couple of hundread bucks out of it.

imho its worth about $400

To some it will seem high but to anyone who will use it for what it should be used for it will make that in about 4 hours.

the trouble is its just a name, if it was a site/program ......think alot bigger!

just my 4c (2c doubled to sound impressive)

best dave
    xcx
    Domain inventory sale.

abostonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmpitLover
    imho its worth about $400

To some it will seem high but to anyone who will use it for what it should be used for it will make that in about 4 hours.

the trouble is its just a name, if it was a site/program ......think alot bigger!

just my 4c (2c doubled to sound impressive)

best dave
    xcx
    just depends If you happen to find someone who needs one at the right moment.

Just most webmasters who have the resources to start an affiliate program, have the resources to go and find a good domain name.

I just got gaycashjunkie.com Some may not like it, but I think it's sexy and brandable. As well as foreskincash.com for my uncut sites.

I would make a business plan on your other idea that you don't have time to develop into a site and sell as a cobmo. Domain/busines plan.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    When pricing domains for resale you need to look at all the variables, brandability, traffic, how it sounds, is it a singular/plural domain, etc.

As Patti correctly pointed out, a domain is ultimately worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it and, in all honesty, i think most people would put a higher value on gaypayouts.com than they would gaypayout.com

That being said, if you can attract the right person for the domain, im pretty sure you could get over $200 for it.

I recently sold a domain on Sedo that, imho was worthless for a nice profit on the last 5 years registration/renewal fees so even if you think you are sitting on a crappy domain, sometimes, it can pay off renewing it each year.

You might also want to consider throwing the domain up on somewhere like Sedo where, if you do get any residual traffic, you at least stand a chance of making some money from it.

Regards,

Lee

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    When pricing domains for resale you need to look at all the variables, brandability, traffic, how it sounds, is it a singular/plural domain, etc.

As Patti correctly pointed out, a domain is ultimately worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it and, in all honesty, i think most people would put a higher value on gaypayouts.com than they would gaypayout.com

That being said, if you can attract the right person for the domain, im pretty sure you could get over $200 for it.

I recently sold a domain on Sedo that, imho was worthless for a nice profit on the last 5 years registration/renewal fees so even if you think you are sitting on a crappy domain, sometimes, it can pay off renewing it each year.

You might also want to consider throwing the domain up on somewhere like Sedo where, if you do get any residual traffic, you at least stand a chance of making some money from it.

Regards,

Lee
    I haven't had a lot of luck with sedo.com. In fact, just yanked about 150 domain names from there. Know any other place that's effective for selling domains?

Bill

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by hdkbill
    I haven't had a lot of luck with sedo.com. In fact, just yanked about 150 domain names from there. Know any other place that's effective for selling domains?

Bill
    Afternic i hear does quite well for some although, i didnt have any luck there compared to on Sedo.

Although, i must be honest selling domains on Sedo isnt my primary objective... Monetizing my unused domains is.

Regards,

Lee

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Afternic i hear does quite well for some although, i didnt have any luck there compared to on Sedo.

Although, i must be honest selling domains on Sedo isnt my primary objective... Monetizing my unused domains is.

Regards,

Lee
    Thanks Lee. In the last couple of months I've made a couple hundred bucks having my domain listed at Sedo. One sold.....and after two months of being jerked around I just gave up, retracted it and cancelled my account with them. When I've sold domains myself I can usually get the transaction done in 7 to 10 days.

Bill