Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Playing Video in Firefox

Dzinerbear

Problem Playing Video in Firefox

Hey guys,

I continuously have a problem playing WMV videos in Firefox. For instance on this page: http://www.boymegaplex.com/tour.html It won't play for me, but asks me to install a needed plugin. When I click the install the plugin button, it says there's nothing to install. I have version 10 of Window Media Video player installed already. And so goes the loop.

Any ideas. Is it a problem on my end or IE-coddled designers just using bad code that Firefox doesn't like?

Cheers
    Michael

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    Strange - I can see it playing

FF 1.5.0.4
    MediaPlayer 10.00.00.4063 and a bunch of codecs I can not name

abostonboy

Xstr8guy
    Can you see the video at near the bottom-left of this page without the new IE warning? http://www.uknakedmen.com/index.html And is it working in FF for you too?

I am trying the javascript workaround to avoid that warning. I sitll have the play control set to be pressed by the user. I don't like video automatically playing on the page when it loads... I think it's rude.

Dzinerbear
    Thanks BostonBoy, that link helped immensely. The following dll's were missing from the plugin folder:

* npdsplay
    * npwmsdrm
    * npdrmv2

I installed them in the Firefox plugin directory and everything worked fine. So the question now is this: If these plugins are needed, why aren't they installed when you install WMV Player? Am I too much of a conspiratist to suggest that they're not installed automatically so people using Firefox will get pissed and go back to IE?

Thanks
    Michael

Xstr8guy
    Btw, does anyone know how to display an image on top of an embedded media player like youtube does? The big black box on the page doesn't exactly compliment the look of the page.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear
    Thanks BostonBoy, that link helped immensely. The following dll's were missing from the plugin folder:

* npdsplay
    * npwmsdrm
    * npdrmv2

I installed them in the Firefox plugin directory and everything worked fine. So the question now is this: If these plugins are needed, why aren't they installed when you install WMV Player? Am I too much of a conspiratist to suggest that they're not installed automatically so people using Firefox will get pissed and go back to IE?

Thanks
    Michael
    Cuzz Fist Fuck sucks maybe? FF is mainly for people with allot of time on their hands to play with it, I on the other hand just want my browser to work with out having to mess with it at all.

I would love if someone could added up all the time people have wasted tracking down problems do to Fist Fuck, hell if we had all this time back who know we might have cured cancer by now :joker:

abostonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower
    Cuzz Fist Fuck sucks maybe? FF is mainly for people with allot of time on their hands to play with it, I on the other hand just want my browser to work with out having to mess with it at all.

I would love if someone could added up all the time people have wasted tracking down problems do to Fist Fuck, hell if we had all this time back who know we might have cured cancer by now :joker:
    There are MANY advantages to having Firefox. One is tabbed browsing. The other as brought up in a previous thread has to do w/ security. Just getting a popup through the popup blocker is a bitch. Some of the extensions are TRULY timesavers (time = $$$).

And for me, perhabs one of the biggest draws to FF is that I can take it w/ all my settings and bookmarks, put it on a USB keychain hd and when I go see a client I have all the links I need. Trust me, they are impressed as time is money for them as well.

And IF you want to talk about a waste of time. You don't even know how much time I have wasted removing spyware from IE.

abostonboy

* npdsplay
    * npwmsdrm
    * npdrmv2

Thanks
    Michael
    You are welcome. I BELIEVE that they are installed if you install or update to a newer version of Windows Media. I could be wrong. But, you must already have Firefox installed before you install the apps.

For some reason on two of the computers in the ofiice I had to install it via the link I gave you. But on my laptop I did not. And if I remember correctly I went to a site that did not authorize the DRM and the message from Microsoft was to re-install WMP, which I did (there was a slightly newer version anyways). On the laptop it seemed to work fine after doing that. To be honest I can't recall if it was working fine before that or not.

abostonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower
    hell if we had all this time back who know we might have cured cancer by now :joker:
    Right now, I wish we did have a cure for cancer.

desslock
    Cure for cancer found! It's right here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2054043&page=1

Now, we can all feel justified in the time we spend using Firefox. :construct

Steve

Dzinerbear
    I did a search for them and they definitely weren't on my computer. Then I installed WMP 11 and they still weren't there. Weird. Anyway, at least I found them.

Cheers
    Michael

abostonboy
    I did a search for them and they definitely weren't on my computer. Then I installed WMP 11 and they still weren't there. Weird. Anyway, at least I found them.

Cheers
    Michael
    How is WMP 11??

I am afraid.....

Dzinerbear
    I haven't used it yet.

Michael

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy

And IF you want to talk about a waste of time. You don't even know how much time I have wasted removing spyware from IE.
    Not to mention reading and responding to Max's posts.