Thread: 4.00$+ Gasoline Prices

maxpower

4.00$+ Gasoline Prices

With all this middle east stuff, I was wondering if 4 or 5 dollar a gallon gas is going to help sales, hurt them, or are the positive and negative things about high gas prices going to just about balance out.

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    we have about $6 per gallon here and sales are stable

1 US gallon = 3.7854118 litre
    1 litre of regular gas = 1.30 EUR

1.30 EUR = 1,65 $

$1.65 * 3.78 litre = 6.23 $ per gallon

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVELISH

1.30 EUR = 1,65 $

The difference is, most Americans cried when the prices went up $0.02

They dont seem to understand how much the rest of the world pay for their petrol and how long they have been paying it.

Regards,

Lee

maxpower
    All that said it still could hurt sales with people worried about the extra money. And it could still help with more people staying home, and on and on

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    The difference is, most Americans cried when the prices went up $0.02

They dont seem to understand how much the rest of the world pay for their petrol and how long they have been paying it.

Regards,

Lee
    2 Cent - jeez - thats the rate they change their prices up and down daily

10 yrs ago we paid about 1.50 DeutschMark for a Litre - about 80 eurocent... inflation, taxes, environment tax, VAT.... 1.30 euro. I read that about 80 cent is now tax on the gasprice - but if y'all want I can investigate more

Camper than a row of tents
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    The actual gas costs the same in those countries as it does in the US, but they have so many gas taxes there that it pushes the price way up.

Another thing is Europeans tend to drive smaller, lightweight cars. We Americans on the other hand need the power of a semi truck in our daily driver.

They are bringing the Smart car to the US from Europe (50-70 mpg), but will people buy it? http://www.smartusa.com

I would drive that, but at the same time feel unsafe on the road with the big SUV's.
    I post here to whore this sig.

all they'd have to do to get me to use one for my lone long hauls is make one that is as crash safe as a toyota. there are a lot of people who run into people in l.a. - we were in an accident bad enough to total my car a couple years ago when we were at a full stop and were rear ended. i want to drive a car where i can walk away from a similar accident like we did from my toyota.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 26z
    Another thing is Europeans tend to drive smaller, lightweight cars. We Americans on the other hand need the power of a semi truck in our daily driver.
    I certainly hope you meant this as a joke.

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 26z

I remember thinking how crazy it was spending almot $50 every time I filled up my Escalade, back when gas was just $1.40 a gallon and a gallon took me 12 miles. Luckily I came to my senses and got something much more fun that didn't make me look like I was compensating ;-)
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by DEVELISH

1.30 EUR = 1,65 $

Ups - gas is 1.40 € - didn't fill up my tank in like a week...

so 1 gallon is $ 6.71 today

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    for all the bitching people do about gas prices they sure keep buying those SUVs.

I say if you keep driving an SUV it's not bad enough for you

on the other hand - I like that new Chevy Avalanche ... so sexy

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jIgG
    for all the bitching people do about gas prices they sure keep buying those SUVs.
    That isn't quite true. The major US auto manufacturers are all losing big dollars because they invested to heavily in large SUVs. As usual the US companies are years behind the curve while the Japanese are poised to gain an even larger chunk of the market share with more fuel efficient cars.

You may think SUV sales are increasing because that's all you see on the road today. But 90% of those people, on their next auto purchase, will not be buying another massive SUV.

Btw, I'm so sick of seeing 5'1" soccer moms driving all alone in humungous SUVs. "Oh, I need an SUV because it safer for little Tyler." "Oh, I need an SUV to pick up the drying cleaning so it won't get wrinkled." "Oh, I need an SUV so I can drive off-road if I have to."

Yeah, whatever.

desslock
    Well this points out why when prices rise for things such as gasoline, people seriously consider other alternatives to getting around. This can be perhaps more fuel efficient cars, carpooling, moving closer to their job, or mass transit.

This is why subsidising things completely destroys the ability of people to properly consider alternatives. This holds for subsidizing electricity or any other kind of energy, for subsidizing health care or the prices of prescription drugs, etc. Of course using insurance as the third party paying for bills forms a cloudy cataract that obscures the real prices too.

Prices form information about that product which consumers use in their decision to buy or use it.

Steve