Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Slump a Myth?

maxpower

Summer Slump a Myth?

Here we are about in the middle of summer, I have not listed a new gallery or site in about 2 months getting ready for my new members site and my sales are doing as good as they did back when I was working so hard. I do not know what, but I really am not seeing a big slow down this year.

P.S. I also have nothing to sell you :signhere:

marcjacob
    Personally i think it works the other way round. I do a straight paysite (am gay - starting gay paysite soon) and my sales are stronger in summer. I think it depends on where the surfer is. Im in the UK and feel hornier on hot days - all those lads taking there tops off :develish: I guess straight guys are the same with the lasses.

Camper than a row of tents
    You also have to consider the internet reach and most importantly growth rate of the site. If the site is in a constant state of growth then it's not surprising at all that sales would increase from winter into summer.

"Growth" doesn't necessarily have to mean traffic either. It could apply to the quality of your marketing too.

The only people I can see effected by a summer slowdown are those sites which have stagnate or declining traffic and marketing quality growth rates. In simple terms, the site's development is stalled on all fronts and thus vulnerable to the summer slowdown.

Whereas a site that is constantly improving will not notice the summer slowdown because improvements made to the site are equal to or more than the effect of the summer slowdown.
    I post here to whore this sig.

BentGirl
    It's not summer in all parts of the world...so I dont think it really applies.

Summer slowdown is real and applies to mainstream as well as adult.

Just the other day there was an article online about the lowest TV ratings this summer due to people out enjoying the weather, etc. etc.

When people are out of the house, they are not at their computers or watching T.V.

Sites that increase updates, increase traffice, etc. during the summer months are puting out more to maintain, or slightly increase, sales.

A site that does business as usual during the summer months will experience the slowdown. Sites that proactively increase traffice, updates, in the month or two proceeding June/July, will maintain, or increase their sales.

Brick and mortar retailers have created Christmas in July to combat low sales during the summer months. In retail June is also called June Gloom

If you Google Summer slowdown marketing you will see over 19,000 results. If summer slowdown didn't exist, people wouldn't be talking about it.

Don't believe those that say summer slowdown doesn't exist. They have alterier motives for telling you that. You can lesson the effects of summer slowdown by following the above steps.

I hope this helps :high:

maxpower
    Ya, but if I goggle BigFoot I get 94,700 results, and they have a pic. I am just not really that sold on all this.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    The summer slowdown doesnt exist in that it is an actual period of time where sales are 'magically' reduced.

The summer slowdown does exist in that it was typically the period of time (2-3 months) when the old school sponsors used to turn their shave up another 10-15% and they used the 'summer slowdown' as the reasoning behind this to their affiliates without telling their affiliates that the shave got turned up.

Nowadays, the summer slowdown seems to be the excuse that many affiliates use to detract from the fact they have been partying a little to much over the summer months and havent really put as much work in to building their online businesses as they could have done. Whilst this doesnt always hold true, a good 80-90% of the time it does.

Regards,

Lee

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    summer is my busiest time , content for halloween , christmas , and spring/easter is being produced.

jim

I like to change things around in the summertime, I find it a great time of year to try new marketing techniques, new designs, etc. There was 2 weeks in April or May that were totally crap, but other than that this summer has been really good for me!

cheers,
    Luke

Hey, it's always summer in hell. :jasun:
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

LOL, that just got me to think that "summer" is actually rainy season here in Panama, which means it clouds up and rains almost every afternoon or evening. For me, this is much more condusive to working instead of the dry season where it is sunny and nice which makes me want to go to the beach

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    The summer slowdown doesnt exist in that it is an actual period of time where sales are 'magically' reduced.

The summer slowdown does exist in that it was typically the period of time (2-3 months) when the old school sponsors used to turn their shave up another 10-15% and they used the 'summer slowdown' as the reasoning behind this to their affiliates without telling their affiliates that the shave got turned up.

Nowadays, the summer slowdown seems to be the excuse that many affiliates use to detract from the fact they have been partying a little to much over the summer months and havent really put as much work in to building their online businesses as they could have done. Whilst this doesnt always hold true, a good 80-90% of the time it does.

Regards,

Lee
    You forget that the people asking about the summer slowdown, every year, are newbies that are wondering why their Google traffic is lower, why their conversions are lower, etc. etc.

For you to say that brick and mortar retailers, who experience major summer slowdown, experience it because they've been out partying a little to much over summer, is a bit silly don't you think?

The online industry isn't his as hard, because at the end of the day our product is in the consumers house waiting for them if they want it and aren't to tired from being out all day, or hadn't gotten laid being out all day, but we still experience summer slowdown. It is combatible though, as I showed in my previous post :high:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    For you to say that brick and mortar retailers, who experience major summer slowdown, experience it because they've been out partying a little to much over summer, is a bit silly don't you think?
    Squirt,

I never even mentioned bricks and mortar businesses in my post above however, now that you bring it up,, they are hit for the same reasons, partying and having to much fun... By their customers.

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    I never even mentioned bricks and mortar businesses in my post above however, now that you bring it up,, they are hit for the same reasons, partying and having to much fun... By their customers.
    In your last post you said affiliates were to blame for summer slowdown, not the lack of customers as you claim in this post.

Summer slowdown, online and in brick and mortar, is due to people being outdoors and active. You disagree and we just have a difference of opinion no dramas

The discussion on webmasterworld is more productive regarding this issue. People actually acknowledge sales trends, their adsense revenues dropping, and google traffic falling.

When people are suffering these issues every summer it's not productive to claim their problems don't exist. I think it's best to help them be successfull and give them the tools to overcome the summer slump next year.

Xstr8guy
    Not only is it summer in just the Northern Hemisphere but in warm climates like the US south most people stay inside during the hottest part of the day.

I live in Texas. Going outside at 2 in the afternoon is certain death! Lol. I used to live in Minnesota and spent every single Summer day outside and every Winter day inside. Now I spend every summer day inside unless I can go to the beach... and we don't have any in Dallas. I have to drive 4 hours to Galveston to swim in the Gulf or 3 1/2 hours to Austin to swim in their beautiful lakes. Gee Max... Dallas is so wonderful.