Thread: Never host on your boyfriends server

marcjacob

Never host on your boyfriends server

ever.. he just removed a domain name from his server. i had (had being most acurate) loads of feeder sites on a sub domain. ggggrrrr.

Xstr8guy
    OUCH! Intentionally or accidently?

marcjacob
    oh it was an accident, it didnt occur to him bless 'im

i keep my business and personal life pretty separate. in order for me to host on a friend's or family member's server, i would need to know that they were as knowledgeable and careful as any paid host - and i'm still not sure i'd do it.

Xstr8guy
    Find a good host then become friends with them. May I suggest Luke from Chilihost? Great host, great guy!

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    Ditto what Xstr8guy says.

Nepotism is a bad bad thing --always keep business and family separated. Boyfriends, girlfriends, extended family members are generally not good people to be with in business. If you look at what just happened you should realize how very vulnerable you are in that situation. What would happen if one day you and the boyfriend decide that the bliss is over and you hate each other? He would now REALLY have you by the balls!

The few dollars you would spend with Luke each month are worth the peace of mind.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw
    always keep business and family separated. Boyfriends, girlfriends, extended family members are generally not good people to be with in business.
    Uh Oh, now you tell me this :eek:

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Uh Oh, now you tell me this :eek:

Regards,

Lee
    Ditto! My partner and I sit back to back 12 to 16 hours a day working. We do keep our projects separate and work independantly. If anything disastrous happened between us (god forbid), we each would have something to leave with.

That sure is depressing to think about.

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    agreed! , boyfriends/girlfriends/pet-rocks are something that will come and go ( i still have my pet-rocks..."boulder's are a boy's best friend"...) it's best not to "tie" anything to them other than your affection. ( which will hurt like hell in the end but at least you'll have enough money to buy a replacement! )
    i however seem to have an attraction to "world-killers" my present boyfriend is my accountant (mainstream/adult) , i won't recover financially!, so i've been looking at "faulty" appliances/automobiles/etc.

sincerely ~ ..."how deep is your love?"... - beegees

don't tell this to my boyfriend LOL!!!

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob
    ever.. he just removed a domain name from his server. i had (had being most acurate) loads of feeder sites on a sub domain. ggggrrrr.

Does he or his upstream provider not have a backup tape or other image of the drive on the server?

I have no comment in this thread other then to say that in this business you need solid people you could trust naked with a blindfold on.... and often times it's friends, family, etc.

Isn't that right Luke?

marcjacob
    i only host some feeders on there, not my main sites. he dumps files on my laptop as were networked so i dump feeders on his server.

dannyz
    I have no comment in this thread other then to say that in this business you need solid people you could trust naked with a blindfold on.... and often times it's friends, family, etc.
    That's a good point. While I don't think a good idea to work with a boyfriend (from having far too much experience with it in the past), it is really important to build trust with all people you do business with...be it employees, affiliates, or customers. I work really hard at building that in the beginning and putting my feelers out for a person's charachter. Unfortunately I still sometimes make errors in judgements of people I thought I trusted and lost thousands of dollars because of it. It's one of the most difficult aspects of being in this business.

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    My BF used to work for me and it was just too much togetherness. Not to mention the endless complaints "I want to do a fun job". It made things tense but got to the point where I just had to fire him.

He went back to his old job and the time out is doing both of us good. I tell him all the time how much happier he seems. Now he has his own little domain to rule in. His contract for this job is only 10 months, but I have already told him he cant come back to work for me. I just dont think it is a good idea.

I am too much of a control freak to have anything hosted where I cant pretty much control it. It was hard enough for me to get used to having a business partner. And I think that is working out well because it is not romantically based. My romantic life is way too dramatic to mix with business.