Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good People Or Good Business - Which Influences You More?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

I Wonder? Good People Or Good Business - Which Influences You More?

Something i have really only noticed in the past few weeks has made me start this thread although, to be fair, its been happening for years.

Whenever someone (on any board) asks about advice about a certain program, product or service, it usually only takes a few replies until someone says 'they are nice people, i spent time with them at the show'.

My question to you is this, do you get influenced more by the fact the someone spent some time with someone else at one of the shows getting drunk or, are you more influenced by what business things a certain program, product or service has done?

I have to admit, ive never really been interested in whether someone is a 'good person' or not when it came to to who or what i promote, rather how well their program works.

Ive sent traffic to 'nice' people who turned out to be flat-out theives and i have sent traffic to people who were supposed to be bigger assholes than me who, in actuality, really were people i couldnt say a bad thing about if i tried.

It might just be me but am i the only one who finds it strange when a thread is started about something business related, whether or not the person working with/for the company in question are 'nice' doesnt really amount to much?

What are your thoughts on this?

Regards,

Lee

Good people AND good business

Some people that have great reach in this industry are total assholes, others aren't. Good people don't fuck you over and they correct any mistakes and do right by you, bad people don't.

I work with good people that I respect, and that respect me, instead of someone who treats you like their red headed stepchild :develish:

Keep in mind that if you are a good person but consistently don't follow through, always promise more then you can deliver, etc. etc. it's hard for anyone to do business with you whether they like you or not.

i never really thought about that, but it's true - it always happens like that. as if it matters if they're good people to a webmaster who doesn't have his/her check. and a lot of the time, these "good people" have ignored their affiliates' pleas for their money.

the thing is that they SAY that the person/company in question is good people, but it seems what they MEAN is the person is fun to drink with and hang out with in a casual partying situation. amazing though it may seem, i never base who i do business with on how much fun someone had getting drunk with them.

besides, even very nice people who adopt homeless orphans and send money to meaningly charities and give their time to APLA or helping katrina victims can make bad business choices - choices that not only could cost other people money but could land them in jail or bankruptcy court or a hundred other undesirable things.

Homosexuals cannot biologically reproduce children; therefore, they must recruit our children. chubbs's Avatar
    I go more by the business. If they are cool people, that just makes it that much more fun to do biz with them. I have yet to stop doing biz with someone cause I didnt like them after having met face to face. Not to say that I wouldnt. Would have to do something pretty crazy.

We dont have to like each other to make money together imo.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    i never really thought about that, but it's true - it always happens like that. as if it matters if they're good people to a webmaster who doesn't have his/her check. and a lot of the time, these "good people" have ignored their affiliates' pleas for their money.

the thing is that they SAY that the person/company in question is good people, but it seems what they MEAN is the person is fun to drink with and hang out with in a casual partying situation. amazing though it may seem, i never base who i do business with on how much fun someone had getting drunk with them.

besides, even very nice people who adopt homeless orphans and send money to meaningly charities and give their time to APLA or helping katrina victims can make bad business choices - choices that not only could cost other people money but could land them in jail or bankruptcy court or a hundred other undesirable things.

I agree with everything you said here

I don't think "good people" screw you over though.. by definiation they'd suck

When I say good people I mean people who are sincere, know what they're doing and want to work with you.

From your post, and Lees, maybe you guys are describing a specific scenario that you all know about? Maybe reading between the lines is needed.. but I don't know what specific people or situation you're all refering to :max: Is it JockCash?

no, it happens all the time!

very often someone will show up and say a sponsor didn't pay him/her, and several other people will show up having similar experiences. then one person will show up and tell us very insistantly what good people the people under discussion are.

or sometimes it will just be someone saying "what do you think of this sponsor? do they pay on time?" and people will talk about the program and suddenly a person - usually someone none of us have heard of - will show up and very assertively inform us that the sponsor under discussion is good people. usually they know the sponsor reps are good people from one or two meetings at conventions.

like oh, okay! this guy we've never heard of says the sponsor is good people because he partied with them at internext. so THAT convinces me

ah ok got ya

At the end of the day there are no guarantees in business, good people or not

It seems the definition of good person for sake of this discussion is the thing I'm confused about but it's all good I got the gist of it now :high:

when these people show up on the threads, they often use the words "good people" or "good guy" or "good person" but they don't mean a guy who donates to save the animals or helps little old ladies cross the street. most of the time, they mean the person or company was nice to them a couple times in public.

NOT my personal definition of a good person

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    I tend to favor those that go to the shows and DON'T get drunk....

but that is just me.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by chadknowslaw
    I tend to favor those that go to the shows and DON'T get drunk....

but that is just me.

I saw those photos you took of this poor drunk webmaster after the last show... poor kid

While I am new to this board, I have participated in others. When I see a post complaining about something and there is a response saying that the person is a good person, usually I interpret that as being the person was receptive to me when I had an issue with him/her, why do you not contact them with your beef rather than complain on this board.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt
    I saw those photos you took of this poor drunk webmaster after the last show... poor kid

I would work with him hes really cute :groovy:

the queerest straight girl in the world...
    I've made horrible mistakes by doing business with folk I thought were "friends" - often, you can tell a con artist by his Charisma.....

That said, I still try and work with people I like and who turn out to be "good" - because life is too short and my time to precious to spend much energy with assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick

Exactly.

Yet, webmasters more often than not fall in to the same old rut of trusting other peoples experiences with these 'good people' rather than building on their own experiences which i find strange especially when, as you say, these 'good people' tags are only given because someone spent 5 minutes to buy someone else a drink at one of the shows

Regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by hunkhunter
    While I am new to this board, I have participated in others. When I see a post complaining about something and there is a response saying that the person is a good person, usually I interpret that as being the person was receptive to me when I had an issue with him/her, why do you not contact them with your beef rather than complain on this board.
    True enough Dennis although, that isnt always the context in which it is used.

If you were to ask right now on GWW about any sponsor that you hadnt used before but, you knew there were several people on GWW that had used them, would you expect to see your question answered with facts relating to that sponsor, how well they pay, what their sites convert like, do they have good support etc or, would you like to be answered 'he's a good guy'.

Regards,

Lee