Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHy is the whole internet designed for 1024x768 resolution?

Marc

WHy is the whole internet designed for 1024x768 resolution?

and why do so make people have this resolution?

Ive been trying it for 30 minutes now and my eyes are *killing* me. Im developing a headache from reading text so small.
    doesnt this small text bother your eyes?

I always do 800x600 and the text is fine for me.
    But now that im trying in the 1024x768 res theres a whole world of far right columns that Ive been missing, .

about 70-75% of our users are at 1024, around 20% are at 800x600. a lot of new monitors are defaulted to 1024 and i hear some don't offer 800x600 at all.

Marc
    Does it bother your eyes to read text at that resolution, or is it fine for you?
    Maybe I need to get my eyes checked :nerd:

davespeedoevans
    Marc,

My sites are still 800x600 but I use higher res.

My laptop (which is widescreen) I use 1280x800 and it is fine vision wise. Could be your video card isn't coping at higher res.

Dave

JustBryce
    I'm actually at 1920 x 1200 and my eyes don't hurt. I'm on a 30" monitor though so I think that has a lot to do with it. 1920 isn't so small on a large monitor, so maybe that would do the trick.

We will soon be launching a wider version of justusboys.com. Sites like Yahoo, CNN, Cnet, etc have already made the change.

Last week our users broke out at:

1024x768 53.23%

800x600 15.00%

under 800x600 0%

over 1024x768 31.77%

So there are actually more people with a resolution higher than 1024x768 by a factor of 2 than there are people at 800 x 600.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    We actually still design so our sites are compatible for users with 800x600. I hate that resolution but until it dies we will still design sites to be compatible with it. Alot of leased content also uses 800x600 so if we have any leased feeds that are in 800x600 and you open the leased content in a frame, what a mess. I'm glad to see users are using higher resolutions now hopefully sites will soon follow suit and that resolution will die soon, .

Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    One more thing if the text is too small in the higher resolution just go to view and then text size in your browser to make it larger.

Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

when you go to the next size up it usually either breaks the page or doesn't do anything because there is css defining the size.

i don't like tiny hard-to-read text on sites myself...

Xstr8guy
    I've always been near-sighted (difficulty seeing distant objects). But age is causing me to to be far-sighted (difficulty seeing close up) as well. Even though it is becoming more difficult for me to read small print, I rarely have a hard time reading text on websites.

I think large text makes websites look cheesy. Suck it up folks! It's time to go get some reading glasses! It's inevitable... we all become our parents.

CorbinFisher.com CorbinFisher_BD's Avatar
    Hrm. I use 1440x900 on a widescreen, coupled with a 2nd monitor (extended desktop) at 1280x1024.

I can't remember the last time I was on 800x600... though maybe my Blackberry uses that setting ().

I guess it comes down to what kind of approach you want to take... when so many people are switching to higher resolutions and those higher resolutions become the standard relative to the rest, shouldn't you prioritize meeting those people's needs and offering up something to them that takes in to account their increased ability for an enhanced experience and caters to their capabilities... rather than weigh yourself down taking care of those still at 800x600?

Higher resolutions offer so many opportunities when it comes to site design. I say take full advantage of that so long as the majority of your audience can appreciate it. Unfortunately, that could mean alienating some folk with more "dated" settings or technology. But that's part and parcel to technology, I guess.

Same goes for the speeds you'd offer up videos at. If you can offer up a variety to meet the needs of those on everything from dialup to DSL to T3, then by all means do it. But if you had to choose between larger, higher quality videos and smaller, lower quality videos, could only offer up one or the other, and could see that the vast majority of your membership was on broadband, which would you axe? I'd ditch the lower, dial-up friendly stuff in favor of the broadband stuff.

CorbinFisher's Amateur College Men

while webmasters may just deal, i don't think we can count on surfers to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gaydemon View Post
    There are a few very interesting stats about browsers, screens etc here:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    Great Link Bjorn - thanks!

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Ive been trying it for 30 minutes now and my eyes are *killing* me. Im developing a headache from reading text so small.
    doesnt this small text bother your eyes?
    I always do 800x600 and the text is fine for me.
    But now that im trying in the 1024x768 res theres a whole world of far right columns that Ive been missing, .

If you find the text too small, at 1024x768, yet find th@ you like the rest th@ that res has to offer: hold down your CTRL key and use the scroll button, on your mouse, to make the text bigger or smaller. It is SUPPOSE to be th@ simple (and is).

(NOTE: This does not always work as some "system builders" like to leave out that options - too much drive space, or something stupid crap like th@.)

I still have no clue as to who people were able to stand computers 'back in the day' - I'd have snapped!

800x600 *holding gut, while bursting out in to a hysterical laugh*
    I've hit bottom before, but that is beyond rock-bottom!

Drink JW... Be Super! jorgeBigCash's Avatar

Audience is key...

Mark/Intense Cash has a sig thats almost Half a Meg! 440kb to be exact.

Totally unacceptable by normal web standards, but considering the audience on the board, it' fine... and pretty bad ass if you take the time to watch the whole thing. BYOPopcorn!

We Know What Your
    Gay Traffic Wants!

I'm so glad we've moved on from 800*600 now.. I hated making sites for tiny screens. All that space gives you so much more room to sell stuff in

Whenever I go to my parents house and use there computer I get yelled at for switching to a higher resolution. I can't stand how low they run it, it's like looking through a little port hole on a ship.
    Join exploaded.com's 60% Partnership Program and make more ca$h!
    CCBill cookies last for 9 months
    Excellent Conversions & Retention
    New galleries and the hottest gay content every week!
    FHG's now available via RSS!