Thread: What Do You Do When Keywords Get To Competitive?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

What Do You Do When Keywords Get To Competitive?

Was just wondering, those of you who get search engine related traffic to your sites, when you notice a sudden influx of listings for specific search terms you are targeting do you find yourself trying to maintain your current listings or, do you target new keyword placements?

For example, ive noticed in the past 3 months that 'review' related search terms have started to become a lot harder to maintain in the serps so i have started targeting some different keywords relating to site reviews and im actually finding that its getting easier to get more pages listed in the serps.

So i was wondering, when competition for specific search terms starts getting high, do you prefer to work harder maintaining your existing terms or, do you move on to newer terms?

Regards,

Lee

desslock
    Well if I can, I keep an Adwords campaign running on that term, but I just restrict my daily budget. Even if it's sending fewer clicks, it is still sending some.

I will also try alternative word combinations if my original choices become too expensive. That happens.

Steve

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    What about non-ppc campaigns though?

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    Optimize your pages better, write more relevant content, and stop relying on tricks to get you to the top. Stop writing junk content that doesn't give the surfer any value, but it's aimed squarely at getting good rankings.

I've had no problems maintaining top ten rankings in the hairy men and bears category. But I write a shitload of relevant content.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear View Post
    Optimize your pages better, write more relevant content, and stop relying on tricks to get you to the top. Stop writing junk content that doesn't give the surfer any value, but it's aimed squarely at getting good rankings.

I've had no problems maintaining top ten rankings in the hairy men and bears category. But I write a shitload of relevant content.

Michael
    Sage advice Michael! But there's also nothing wrong with working with "lesser known" keywords either, so long as they are indeed relevant.

Xstr8guy
    Non targeted keywords are useless. I can never understand why people try to trick SEs into top placements for specific search terms and then do nothing with the traffic. What's the point of being number #1 for "gay sex" and then sending the traffic to a straight bukkake site or soemthing else so ridiculous?