Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM Message Really Private?

maxpower

PM Message Really Private?

I have started to wonder about this today, are our private message really private or can Lee and other monitors read them? I know it does not really matter than much and also know if Lee does read them he uses some discretion about this in public, but at the same time it might be good to know how private the messages really are around here.

i was going to post about this a couple days ago but didn't get around to it because people often say they are concerned about having their pm's read.

my son works a mainstream vb board and has worked that board for many years. he says he can't read other people's pm's. he said the only way he can do it is to change the user's password and log in as that user, but since he is unable to see their original password, he can't then change it back.

personally i don't send highly personal info through pm's, but then i don't send highly personal stuff at all. it comes from growing up in the seventies

Why would you think PM's are private on any board?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    Why would you think PM's are private on any board?
    Ya like I said was just wondering, do not want to use the info farming fraise but I just did hu I guess you are right I should always assume someone else is reading my PM’s

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    i was going to post about this a couple days ago but didn't get around to it because people often say they are concerned about having their pm's read.

my son works a mainstream vb board and has worked that board for many years. he says he can't read other people's pm's. he said the only way he can do it is to change the user's password and log in as that user, but since he is unable to see their original password, he can't then change it back.

personally i don't send highly personal info through pm's, but then i don't send highly personal stuff at all. it comes from growing up in the seventies
    I think I will take that advice, I do love how you told that guy to resolve his alleged stolen content yesterday by contacting the host first and not a lawyer. Like I said to squirt, we should all just assume every thing we say is being read by someone. :uhoh:

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    Ya like I said was just wondering, do not want to use the info farming fraise but I just did hu I guess you are right I should always assume someone else is reading my PM’s

When I first started posting on boards I was told via ICQ by another webmaster to never post important info via PM on any board, not only because the admins might read it somehow, but also in case the board get's hacked/cracked and your important info is sitting there somewhere.

If DRM can be cracked then a board can :joker:

Max you should post this question on other boards and see what other people have to say about it as well.

:disguise: don't let the paranoia control you

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    When I first started posting on boards I was told via ICQ by another webmaster to never post important info via PM on any board, not only because the admins might read it somehow, but also in case the board get's hacked/cracked and your important info is sitting there somewhere.

If DRM can be cracked then a board can :joker:

Max you should post this question on other boards and see what other people have to say about it as well.

:disguise: don't let the paranoia control you
    I am not that worried about it really man I have to be about the least paranoid person I know, was just wondering what was going on I guess I am more curious than anything.

For the record - as a moderator for this board, no, I can't read anyone's PMs. All I can do is move, delete or edit/fix a limited range of problems with posts. :prescription:

And I agree with Patti and Squirt ... any board script can be hacked and sensitive material could end up about anywhere these days... so I'd not be putting really sensitive information about business, login access stuff, etc into ANY PM board system.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Anyone with access to the server and a little knowledge of MySQL can very easily look at any of the PMs sent or received on any VBulletin installation.

I run another VBulletin board and we ran into a security-related situation where we needed to be able to look at the PMs. All I had to do was fire up my MySQL table tool and I could easily see all the PMs. there.

Our terms of service also allowed that PMs were not to be considered private and the system admin could, if needed have access, so there wasn't a privacy issue for us... but if the TOS don't allow it, it might be illegal depending on state laws.

maxpower
    I don’t know what I should be reading into he silence on this from Lee? Maybe he just hates my posts or something but............................................... ...........:snake:

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    I don’t know what I should be reading into he silence on this from Lee? Maybe he just hates my posts or something but............................................... ...........:snake:
    That's why I said "Max you should post this question on other boards and see what other people have to say about it as well."

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

proxak
    basschick and Bec are correct, I moderate our board which runs off the phpBB software and I'm not able to see PM's, or passwords of people's accounts. I can change someone's password and theoretically log in as them. I also agree with the others, if you're that concerned about it, don't post anything you really wouldn't want others to find out about. :gossip:

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely nicedreams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    Thats not true. You can get a plugin for vb for the admin section to easily read pms. And of course you can always look in mysql database.

Jimmy

Gay Amateur Paysites / Solo Twink Paysite
    Nice Dreams Cash
    http://www.nicedreamscash.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    For the record - as a moderator for this board, no, I can't read anyone's PMs. All I can do is move, delete or edit/fix a limited range of problems with posts. :prescription:
    I can't read any one else's PMs either, I am pretty sure this is the case with all moderators.

cheers,
    Luke

Gay is the new Black
    All you need is Access to the Database and know what to pull
    Be Who You Are!