Thread: good article on first impressions

good article on first impressions

great article - sort of consolidates things most of us know but might consider unrelated.

http://forums.gaywidewebmasters.com/...ad.php?t=18723

but who is lydia? does she post here?

Paco
    (I am somewhat positive Dale Carnegie included all of those points in his first book.)

Those are all very traditional points.
    However, just because I consider many of the points "old school" and obsolete does not mean it is not a good article.

Back in the eighties, I was working for the Kinney Corporation (CA) - a company (as many other retailers) that took sales VERY seriously. So serious they developed an entire sales program, titled G.O.L.D. C.A.R.D (I can not remember what it is an acronym for), which also contained all of those points.
    It helped me claw my way up, rather quickly (part-time to assistant manager in 6-months).

Here is what I now question & believe:
    - do I really need to intimidate this female by firmly shaking her hand - will it impress her?
    (I am not a "hand-shaker" and I believe this has been replaced with the changing of the cards.)
    Nope!
    If anything, I believe it will only intimidate and offend.
    Why not French, in stead!

- will the fact that I do not shave every day, and often sport a "bed-head' hairstyle hinder business?
    Nope!
    Society, for the most part, is "hip", and many have now accepted the metro and uber sexuals, whom are sporting faux-hawks (and other messy salads), and a 5-o'clock shadow.
    (I believe it to be a discriminating tactic.)

- is a fast paced person the sign of a "mover and shaker"?
    (I typically walk fast - take long strides- and am constantly asked to "slow down" or "wait". No joke!)
    Not at all!
    I believe most persons, whom are always running around, do so because they have not properly planned their day.

I am actually offended by contacts that force me to hurry-up, &/or do not have any spare time for me --- their rushing around tells me that they do not.

Over the many years, different trends and life styles have developed, and if anything, I believe a person needs to gauge each and every situation, differently and respond accordingly.

If they are a traditionalists, yah sure, you may want to do use some of the tactics from the article.
    But for all others, I suggest people adjust accordingly.

spazlabz
    Excellent points.. all of them Paco and I read the article in its entirety (not just skimmed like I can be prone to do) and i found it informative but not overly applicable to the bulk of our business since we deal virtually.. But it did give me an idea

spaz

Paco
    (Sorry for the second post - forgot to include something.)

I believe that the person (whom your meeting with) is THE most important, or biggest, item of concern, at that moment, and that THAT person requires all of my attention.

I am very put-off by persons with bad cell phone etiquette and as far as I am concerned, a person (trying to set a good first impression) should never:
    a). place their cell phone on the table (whatever surface you're gathering around)!
    b). allow their phone to disturb the meeting - ensure its ringing or vibrating can NOT be heard. Turn it off; go direct straight to voice-mail etc.
    c). answer their phone (unless it is important to the meeting).
    d). phone somebody (unless it is important to the meeting).

You've just shown the person how little you think of them &/or their time! (I hold similar beliefs for cell phone use in general.)

Paco - while it is all very traditional stuff, but a lot of people don't seem to be aware of it. spend a little time on gfy to see how many people don't try to make a good impression - aren't even slightly polite - and then are surprised when no one wants to do business with them.

spazlabz - i found a lot of things could be changed just a hair to apply to use. like instead of using someone's name in the first few seconds, how about in the first sentence or two of an email or in an icq message? and don't forget, lots of people DO still meet in person in our industry.

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    Paco - while it is all very traditional stuff, but a lot of people don't seem to be aware of it. spend a little time on gfy to see how many people don't try to make a good impression - aren't even slightly polite - and then are surprised when no one wants to do business with them.
    Sadly, you are correct.

As for you suggesting that I spend some time THERE ... wuh I ever do to you?

No, I will not do THAT again!

i drop by there every once in a while. it's a good place if you need lots of people to see a message - say, if you have a contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Sadly, you are correct.

As for you suggesting that I spend some time THERE ... wuh I ever do to you?

No, I will not do THAT again!

spazlabz
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    spazlabz - i found a lot of things could be changed just a hair to apply to use. like instead of using someone's name in the first few seconds, how about in the first sentence or two of an email or in an icq message? and don't forget, lots of people DO still meet in person in our industry.
    LOL or the first word of a reply eh? heh heh I do admit that quite a bit of that I try to do esp when face to face and sometimes i think i overuse peoples names when talking on the phone or even in messages... that is as long as i know their name

spaz

Fine Tune Your Handshake

The first move you make when meeting your prospective client is to put out your hand. There isn't a businessperson anywhere who can't tell you that the good business handshake should be a firm one. Yet time and again people offer a limp hand to the client. You'll be assured of giving an impressive grip and getting off to a good start if you position your hand to make complete contact with the other person's hand. Once you've connected, close your thumb over the back of the other person's hand and give a slight squeeze. You'll have the beginning of a good business relationship.
    for the adult version, replace hand with your fav naughty body part :bananacock:

desslock
    You can also take that essay and apply it more broadly to human psychology.

People's impressions are their realities. It may not be true reality, but it doesn't matter because those are their impressions.

If someone perceives you as kind or unkind, or a jerk, a clown, a nerd or an all-business wonk - that's their impression of you whether it is true or not.

Some insight into that gives you keys to how others interact around you, and on a business level that is naturally important. And of course the sword cuts both ways, your impressions form your own realities...

Steve