Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shame on the organizers of Sunset Junction

Takemytaco

Shame on the organizers of Sunset Junction

Shame on the organizers of Sunset Junction for continuing to use the motto: "To live in harmony with our neighbors," while charging a mandatory $ 12 - 15 admission fee.

From the festival's launch, the Street Fair for many years was a true community event, open to all, regardless of income, and a noble attempt to bring harmony between the gentrifying neighbhorhood with the long established Latino community, including the gangsters who resided there. The gays, the gangsters, the gay gangsters, the hipsters, and plenty of stroller-pushing family units let their collective hair down, ate some grilled corn, got drunk on draft beer, rode carny-staffed rides and listened to indie bands or danced in one of the several dance areas. The admission was typically a "suggested donation" usually around $ 5 - 8, yet a dontation still. It was the event where you saw friends you've had for over a decade - or met new friends, and their friends. It was the annual event you didn't think was really possible - gays & heteros of all colors, the poor, the monied, junkies, trannies, 12-steppers, lawyers, couples, the waitresses from Millies, singles, nuns, your ex-boyfriend, your new wife, homegirls making out with nerds, rock stars, kids, gangsters trying to still flex some muscle, movie stars, the guy who hung out in front of Cafe Tropical with the fucked up guitar, people visibly ill from HIV / AIDS, the Silver Lake Walker, that guy who was in the movie you just saw at the Vista....They were all there and you thought, "This is why I'm in Silverlake."

Smells like this $ 12 - 15 admission fee is an accurate reflection of how Silver Lake is headed and the organizers of the festival should be looking for another motto. Something like "To live in harmony ONLY with our neighbors who can afford it. But definitely not the rest of you. This is the new Silver Lake. Another 'hood of exclusion."

I'm sending this to the organizers of Sunset Junction. If anyone feels the same, feel free to write them at:

SunsetJunction@SunsetJunction.org

Dino Dinco
    A resident of Silver Lake for 13 year

----

I pretty much feel the same way.
    I won't be going this year.

is sunset junction's work being done by volunteers or are the workers being paid? do you know if they rent the stages or if they have to pay for them and whether the bands get paid?

Paco
    I do not understand why they do not allocate tax-dollars, collected from the people of the community, and offer free entrance to all, while still accepting donations.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    I agree, this is all absurd! The whole purpose of a community event is to entice visitors to see what the community has to offer and more important, to provide a healthy and happy environment for neighbors and business people to get toghether and enjoy life for a few minutes together.

West Hollywood has allowed the same to happen with the CSW organizers - an enclosed event that we no longer participate in -

One of the reasons that Beverly Hills is an exceptional community is because all of the city sponsored events are FREE including concerts, holiday shows, art shows, etc, etc and we have tons of one and two hour FREE parking facilities spread all over town to ENCOURAGE visitors to come and SHOP AND SPEND MONEY and have fun!

I don't know why other communities don't follow our lead

CamCruise
    Why do they need to charge a fee now?? For one reason only. insurance!!!

Things have changed since the Sunset Junction started back in my day. It was just a street fair for the locals. And it was great fun.
    But once it got so big that it was a "EVENT" instead of a "STREET FAIR" Things changed.

But the laws have changed since then to. A "EVENT" like that now must have insurance.
    And it not cheep.
    As well they need to pay for the LA COPS to keep the peace and handle traffic.
    Not to mention that any big group today is a posable terrorist target.
    All that costs money!!!
    So all these "EVENTS" have to make a hard choice to charge to get in. Ore not to have it at all.
    It has nothing to do with trying to keep anyone out.
    Its the reality of the world today.

there are a lot of costs involved with events like this, and unlike beverly hills, there is virtually no community in l.a. that can cover the costs easily.

the booths probably pay a fee to be included, but beyond staff, security and stuff like stages and advertising, the name bands get paid and there's administrative costs to include and also permits - which are probably quite hefty.

and being that a lot of the businesses in silverlake are very small - some barely making ends meet - and the fact that almost everyone i see there is very local and already knows that the businesses are there, it is not always possible for local businesses to chip in.

did you know there's no parking for this event? the community/city can't collect on parking fees plus it's very discouraging for outsiders to come when you might have to park over a half mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by A_DeAngelo View Post
    I agree, this is all absurd! The whole purpose of a community event is to entice visitors to see what the community has to offer and more important, to provide a healthy and happy environment for neighbors and business people to get toghether and enjoy life for a few minutes together.

West Hollywood has allowed the same to happen with the CSW organizers - an enclosed event that we no longer participate in -

One of the reasons that Beverly Hills is an exceptional community is because all of the city sponsored events are FREE including concerts, holiday shows, art shows, etc, etc and we have tons of one and two hour FREE parking facilities spread all over town to ENCOURAGE visitors to come and SHOP AND SPEND MONEY and have fun!

I don't know why other communities don't follow our lead

yeah I know - all good points

however, San Francisco Events such as Gay Pride and Folsom Street and Dore Alley, Grant Ave. Street Fair, etc, etc, don't charge anything at all and ask for a small donation, if at all, of $3 or so...

SF has the forward thinking city planners who know that in spite of no parking, etc... people come from all over (the world) for these events and the draw pays the city millions in revenue for hotels and food and everything else -

the city of LA is way behind in forward thinking and the planning of community events

Takemytaco
    in 2004 it was still called a donation $7
    http://web.archive.org/web/200310081...streetfair.htm

2005 $10.00 Donation
    http://web.archive.org/web/200410091...streetfair.htm

2006 they are called tickets.
    $12 in advance
    $15 after 4:00 p.m.
    http://sunsetjunction.org/streetfair_tickets.html

Gay pride in LA is another "event" I won't participate. when they are giving the message you can only be proud if u pay this amount.

Takemytaco - while you have a valid point, how can those events be paid for? insurance alone is tens of thousands, payment for permits and police probably takes the event up to well over $100,000.

as far as prices going up - well, so is their insurance and other costs. los angeles is broke and silverlake is not exactly a wealthy community. all those cute alternative stores are barely making their rent. so unless the door collects enough money, no one can pay for the event.

Takemytaco
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    los angeles is broke and silverlake is not exactly a wealthy community.
    when was the last time you rolled through there on a weekend?

last weekend. i live in almost walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Takemytaco View Post
    when was the last time you rolled through there on a weekend?

Takemytaco
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    last weekend. i live in almost walking distance.
    maybe we know different silverlakes

I'll tell you.

I was shocked when I first came to the US and I had to pay to get in to Gay Pride festivals or Folsom.... in Toronto, they just close the streets down and party.

Yeah, it's kinda silly to charge that much for Sunset Junction which is really just "Close the streets and sell stuff of it".

I mean, I went last year, and I didn't see much other than a sidewalk sale.

Not as bad as Gay Pride where you pay through the nose to get in, and then have to run the gauntlet of the Mortgage brokers, Banks, Time Share hags and other assorted people who are going to sell your info until you have to change your phone number.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Gay is the new Black
    Here - (St. Pete Fl) - The Pride fest is Free BUT I wish they would tag a $1.00 charge to it.

Not because I want to pay $1.00 BUT because the Anti-Gay attendees would have to FUND a GAY event to be apart of it... Even if it's the anti part of it.

This last year they were there and even got to march in the middle of it all because it was a free event and they were "Preaching... not Protesting"

Yeah... and the "GAYS GO TO HELL" and "PRIDE IS A SIN" signs were bad wigs on sticks.
    Be Who You Are!

Quote Originally Posted by Takemytaco View Post
    Shame on the organizers of Sunset Junction for continuing to use the motto: "To live in harmony with our neighbors," while charging a mandatory $ 12 - 15 admission fee.
    ....I'm sending this to the organizers of Sunset Junction. If anyone feels the same, feel free to write them at:

SunsetJunction@SunsetJunction.org

Dino Dinco
    A resident of Silver Lake for 13 year

----

I pretty much feel the same way.
    I won't be going this year.
    why don't you also write your district supervisor Gloria Molina

she may have some answers for you

http://regrec.co.la.ca.us/VOTER/Public_Officials.cfm