Thread: Offer Good Through ...

Offer Good Through ...

When you're on a site that's offering a special discount that's good through a certain date ... do you feel that offer/cart should recognize what time zone the surfer is in? Had a disappointing experience yesterday when trying to pick up a tgp script that was 50% off through 8-28. I was on the site about 9 pm EST and the discount code was no longer valid... seems said site owners are in eastern europe and the offer ceased at midnite their time.

Paco
    Sorry to hear you missed out on the deal, Bec.

Yes, it would be nice if a person’s time zone was taken in to consideration.

I had a similar experience, and was met with a "you should keep in mind that not all of us (online companies) are located in the US (even though are North of the US) and that it is up to you to figure out the details (time zone & date)".

The person was attempting to promote their product to us.

Yea - I got the same sort of response - basically tough shit and good luck next time. Like with that sort of response I'd even consider a "next time". A website has an international audience and I don't feel a "special offer" is time zone pertinenent... especially if there's no mention of it in the offer.

I had no idea who what where they're located. I just knew the offer was good through a certain date, and I was on the site and ordering on said date according to where I am located.

sexyd
    The up to date cart would be preferable but if not possible the least one should do is give you the discount if you contacted them especially for that.

That's basically customer support and your claim makes sense.

The "though shit" reply should never be used - I hate it when I get that. Usually happens outside the US - I find that customer service over there is one of the best.

they should have a "current server time" on the shopping cart page somewhere so that you know you have to get it purchased before a certain time. I have been seeing most places give a time zone on limited time offers too, thats a bit confusing but at least you know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sexyd View Post
    The "though shit" reply should never be used - I hate it when I get that. Usually happens outside the US - I find that customer service over there is one of the best.

I can't say I've had "best service" experiences with companies outside the US, usually just the opposite.

Yes, they should respect your time zone or state the deadline in terms of their time zone.

marcjacob
    If i ran that site id give you the deal. tough shit is a terrible attitude to take.

maybe his customer service skills are the reason why he has to do cut price offers to make a sale?

Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    If i ran that site id give you the deal. tough shit is a terrible attitude to take.

maybe his customer service skills are the reason why he has to do cut price offers to make a sale?
    Actually, it was a celebration promo in response to having made xxxx number of sales. I did write back and said I was disappointed in his response to me and was again told that they make the rules, that extending the offer because of time zone differences didn't matter, and that I was late...

And I agree with several of you -- If it was my site, and I was contacted about the time difference issue -- they'd of had the discount, no questions asked and a thanks we're delighted to have you onboard as a customer.

If nothing else, it has made me aware of time difference issues and making sure those are dealt with in any of my client offers in the future.

Sorry to hear you've gone through this Bec.

As a result of their actions not only do you miss out on the 50% discount, you also spend the time posting about it and venting, which you should.

Offering a discount to customers is an attempt to keep business, and continue doing goog business. Saying they're SOL because of a few hours time difference does nothing but show how daft the owners are to hire such incompitent personell who don't know how to make customers happy.

Are you going to keep doing business with them Bec?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    Are you going to keep doing business with them Bec?
    At this point, I don't know if I'll go ahead and get one at full price. But this whole deal really brought to mind an article I should write on just what the "not so hidden cost of poor customer service" really means.

Think about it. I post to several boards where I often recommend products, I also recommend products to my clients when doing consult or design work ... for the 100$ they would of taken off their product -- they'd of seen non affiliate commentary about their product at some point. On this board alone that could equal free advertising that literally reaches thousands of webmasters. Then that translates into more sales as they in turn would recommend the product to others and so on. They also would of seen ongoing money coming in from me as I have about 13 sites I've been wanting to add a working tgp to. So that 100$ off equates to a minimum $1300 +... and referrals infintium they would of had. Do the math ... where can you possibly make that kind of cash or get that kind of exposure on a $100 investment?

...And all it would of taken was a polite and supportive return email.