Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trusting other webmasters

Gay is the new Black

Trusting other webmasters

With the high number of knock off sites and production look-a-likes is it hard to confide in another webmaster out of marketing fear?

I知 working on the initial business plan of a new site and would like to toss it around with a few people to get feedback on various business modules and process implementations. Overall feel, interface ease and end user response. (Demo/product testing)

I guess I知 asking how do you know who to trust and what to dog-ear when you see it.
    Be Who You Are!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolKnights View Post
    I guess I’m asking how do you know who to trust and what to dog-ear when you see it.
    Experience.

There really isnt any other tried and trusted method to know who you can and cant trust in this industry unfortunately.

Just because i trust several people implicitly, doesnt mean that they will show you the same respect/trust that they show me. I would hope they would but that cant be guaranteed.

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    I have only a few webmasters that I completely trust with my deepest secrets. Thankfully they can answer most any question and give me priceless advice.

Word of mouth.

Go with your gut.

If you have someone that you trust.. and they refer you to someone else, talk to them on the phone, feel them out, and test them with a small task or asking questions that you already know the answer to.

If people wont give you URLs of their work, refuse to discuss anything they're doing, or just pump you for a bunch of information, those are some red flags.

I've found through online networking that there are "veins" of good people who work together, just as there are "veins" of dubious people that work together. In most cases bird of a feather flock together.

Hope this helps.
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

its thanks to forums like these that you can get to know people a bit better and get a feel for trusting them. I have developed a number of good relations with quite a few people on this board.

cheers,
    Luke

Paco
    Ditto - the gut knows all!

And for those times when its (gut) only concern is being stuffed full o' yummies, I go with those I trust, which unfortunately is not many. Guess I've been exposed to too many freakin' lying cheating low-life bastards that easily use the louring phrase trust me that it (the phrase) now holds the same validity as 'teen', or 'twink'.

I've had issues with "trust" since the first day I entered this industry, ESPECIALLY when communicating via ICQ. Heck, I do not even maintain a large list - I delete IM contacts with no hesitation, as it is not my preferred method of yak yak.
    Okay ... OKAY, I'll admit I often do fondle, and am often fondled by, some of the peeps here, but that's our little secret. Shit, I was not supposed to say that.

Know what really chafes my berries?
    The unnecessary stroke session, many believe is necessary, prior to the pitch.
    Fucking kuhryst, it's business! I expect peeps want to exchange (biddiness), so quite with the pretentious crap and stop dry humping my leg. <-- Shit like that builds distrust!
    My playful actions are genuine, but others abuse the word (play). I do not fondle and run as others do (hands down my pants and the moment something is struck, POOF they are not to be heard or seen, that is until they need more (traffic etc).
    Way to build a nice trusting relationship. I do trust that type will stick their tongue in my ear prior to my hearing their gentle whisper for more.

Madame0120
    We never TRUST anyone, however - we enjoy doing business most with webmasters we have met at events, or those that are active on boards we find trustworthy.

Dzinerbear
    This is indeed a tough one. Bec and xstr8guy were probably two webmasters that I reached out to initially. I asked xstr8guy for some advice on something to do with the real man market and it turned out that he had always wanted to talk to me. From there we started chatting and sharing information, and when neither of us screwed the other, our trust grew. Then we started sharing about others: so-and-so is a good one to talk to about that, that sort of thing. If xstr8guy trusts them, then that's good enough for me.

Likewise with Bec, I asked for advice about my site, she gave me some good pointers that really boosted my income and she helped me a lot. Over time a nice relationship grew where we'd share about others: stay away from him, he'll rip you blind or I had a really good experience with this guy, same sort of thing. Bec's got me some paying gigs because her clients trust her. And likewise, I've sent some work Bec's way.

xstr8guy and I compete in the same market, but we don't compete with one another. We share resources, sometimes buy content together, and cross link our sites. If I can't get the sale, I'd rather he have it.

So I think it's a matter of trial and error and time. Reach out to someone and see what happens. Try and follow up quickly on whatever it is that you're supposed to do. I think that's the biggest indicator. If someone doesn't do something they said they would, some flags should start going up. If it happens consistently, then you have your answer. Once you've established a good working relationship with one person, you'll start to enlarge your contacts into their circle of friends and contacts.

Cheers,
    Michael

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    there use to be a time when i would give someone the shirt off my back but i've come to realize sometime ago that some want a pair of pants to go with that shirt.
    i believe in contracts , i believe in 50/50 (give/take) , i believe in when in doubt the answer is always no.
    i'm very personable and will answer most questions you have but if i don't get a response and/or find you more asking than contributing then you are something i have no time for.

sincerely ~ ..."meet me in the middle" - gladys knight

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    I think trust goes a long way but you have to be careful who you trust. Alot of us never meet but you still have to trust one another in alot of ways. I would try to confide in people you have known for awhile and you feel comfortable with.

Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

i haven't noticed that webmasters are any less trustworthy than any other group of people. on the other hand, trust should be based on prior experiences with any person. once you have a fair sized history with someone, you can see if they've been acting in a way you consider trustworthy.

even so, a contract couldn't hurt.

when i try Dzinerbear's version of trial and error, i make sure in the early parts of a relationship that the things i trust the webmaster with are smaller things. that way, if they do mess up or not do what they said they would, i'm not totally screwed.

when it comes to letting someone install something, i go with many references from people i do and don't know and then i talk to the person who would be doing the actual install. i know over 100 people with strongbox and i also talked to ray who personally installed it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    i haven't noticed that webmasters are any less trustworthy than any other group of people.
    I think the "anonymity" of the online world tends to bring out scammers, I always find it suss when you can't even find out a person's real name. :fugly:

desslock
    If you are looking for trust in the online world, look at how eBay pioneered the ability to assign a trust level to their buyers and sellers.

As a result, sellers with lots of positive comments by their name, versus a new seller, routinely get 10 - 20% higher on their auction items. So, who works with others in public and gets high marks, versus someone else who stays mysterious and cloaked?

If you are seeking people you can trust, I would try to follow the same pattern, and use this as yardstick to guage the individuals with whom you choose to do business.

Steve

Paco
    Yah know, in the past I've asked webmasters if they'd be interested in making a list of thieving webmasters, but that was not so popular - man did I get roasted!

Sadly, too many WM are worried about "buring bridges", that this beautiful concept would never fly, in our industry.

Quote Originally Posted by desslock View Post
    If you are looking for trust in the online world, look at how eBay pioneered the ability to assign a trust level to their buyers and sellers.
    I would try to ... use this ... yardstick to guage
    *placing unit on yard stick*
    How you trust me now?

(Sorry, could not help myself.)

The problem we run into here is webmasters simply changing their names and attaching it to a new site of theirs. It's been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Yah know, in the past I've asked webmasters if they'd be interested in making a list of thieving webmasters, but that was not so popular - man did I get roasted!

Sadly, too many WM are worried about "buring bridges", that this beautiful concept would never fly, in our industry.

*placing unit on yard stick*
    How you trust me now?

(Sorry, could not help myself.)
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com