Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 2257 Prosecution - Successful For The Government

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

First 2257 Prosecution - Successful For The Government

WASHINGTON — A California business named Girls Gone Wild has pleaded guilty to charges that it failed to create and maintain age and identity documents for performers in sexually explicit films, the Justice Department said Tuesday.

A federal government source said investigations have turned up "many" minors who are shown in Girls Gone Wild productions.

Assistant Attorney General Alice Fisher of the criminal division and U.S. Attorney Gregory Miller of the Northern District of Florida said Santa Monica-based Mantra Films, Inc., also failed to put proper labeling on the DVDs and videotapes it produced and distributed, as required by federal law.

The company entered its plea agreement Tuesday before U.S. District Judge Richard Smoak at U.S. District Court in Panama City, Fla. Girls Gone Wild admitted filming performers and producing and distributing sexually explicit video materials during 2002 and 2003 in violation of federal laws.

Joseph Francis, the founder of the Mantra Films and a related company, MRA Holdings, LLC, agreed to plead guilty to offenses to be filed later in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.

The two companies and Francis agreed to pay fines and restitution totaling $2.1 million; $1.6 million are to be paid by Mantra and MRA and $500,000 are to be paid by Francis.

Girls Gone Wild was charged with violations of a law referred to as Section 2257, passed by Congress to prevent the sexual exploitation of children. It protects against the use of minors in the production of sexually explicit material by requiring producers to create and maintain age and identity records for every performer in those types of productions.

"This case sends an important message about the Justice Department's commitment to protecting children from all forms of sexual exploitation," Fisher said in a statement. "Today's agreements ensure that Girls Gone Wild will comply with an important law designed to prevent the sexual exploitation of minors and puts other producers on notice that they must be in compliance as well."

The government will dismiss charges against MRA Holdings after three years if the company abides by all of its obligations under the agreement. MRA Holding also agreed to employ a government-appointed independent, outside monitor to have access to the books and records, production facilities and other locations to make sure Girls Gone Wild — and other companies — are complying with the law.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,213496,00.html

Wow, interesting stuff, i wouldnt have thought a company such as GGW wouldnt have been keeping the records they needed to, especially considering the own an affiliate program, i wonder if this could have any backlash on their affiliate webmasters? I know i certainly wouldnt want to be promoting them right now :eek:

Regards,

Lee

Gay is the new Black
    As far a GGW dvd sales on titles with said "minors" in them - What is the story with that?
    Be Who You Are!

Distributors have to wrap the DVD's and pull them when models are proven underage.

I don't know what happens when you can't prove the age of ANY of your models.

Strange thing is $2.1 million is a drop in the bucket for the GGW guys, they've made a FORTUNE the last few years, but if they have to pull every DVD then they are out of luck. Wish we had more info on this.

Quote Originally Posted by IdolKnights View Post
    As far a GGW dvd sales on titles with said "minors" in them - What is the story with that?
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Gay is the new Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    MRA Holding also agreed to employ a government-appointed independent, outside monitor to have access to the books and records, production facilities and other locations to make sure Girls Gone Wild — and other companies — are complying with the law.
    Why not have this open for everyone from the start?

If they provide a monitor to keep you in check via their standards then complying wouldn't be such an issue.
    Be Who You Are!

Camper than a row of tents
    Oh no, they won't go after the big boys who have the money to defend themselves...

Also, I'm glad I never pushed their paysite as an affiliate if the underage girls also appear online. Who knows what kind of troubles this could have brought or will bring in the future for those webmasters.
    I post here to whore this sig.

GGW messed up when they started staging their videos.

There's enough spring break, Mardi Gras and other public nudity that you can fly under the "filming a public event" banner... when it's obvious you are directing the participants they become your models...

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    The other thing is... I remember reading that GGW has had multiple lawsuits from parents of minors who have been filmed... and they tried to respond with the "It's a public location" argument, which didn't exactly wash from what I remember reading.

These people knew EXACTLY what they were doing and simply didn't care.

And, for that matter... the commercials they're currently running on Comedy Central are arguably subject to 2257, since some of the content clearly falls under the definition of "sexually explicit"... the implication of girl-on-girl contact, or girls reaching down their pants and so forth... yet you don't exactly see a 2257 notice on the commercial. Once again, I think they just don't care.

This is not the sort of people we need in the industry.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    Ultimately, thats what it comes down to for me also.

These are exactly the type of people that have turned the industry in to the cesspit that it is today and, i only see it getting worse and worse by the day which is why, as a company, we're starting to diversify our business interests.

Regards,

Lee

desslock
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    And, for that matter... the commercials they're currently running on Comedy Central are arguably subject to 2257, since some of the content clearly falls under the definition of "sexually explicit"... the implication of girl-on-girl contact, or girls reaching down their pants and so forth... yet you don't exactly see a 2257 notice on the commercial. Once again, I think they just don't care.

And of course note that this was the result of a plea deal.... it's not the product of a trial and conviction by a jury.

Steve

I want to know who from the GGW camp is going to jail for the admitted violations?

How long have you been gay?
    I would assume since it is a plea deal nobody is doing jail time. Perhaps that was the other option for them? Considering that this is a plea deal I'm wondering if they took it rather than having to go on trial for CP

Quote Originally Posted by badpuppyben View Post
    I would assume since it is a plea deal nobody is doing jail time. Perhaps that was the other option for them? Considering that this is a plea deal I'm wondering if they took it rather than having to go on trial for CP
    They did a plea and bought certain freedom for a couple million dollars, instead of going to trial.

This hasn't set a precident for the DOJ, which is ultimately what the DOJ needs to prosecute, with relevant certaintly, wide scale 2257 cases. :worm:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

LiveTwinksCam.com LiveTwinksCam's Avatar
    If it was dudes they were filming GGW would be in jail right now and facing CP charges.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Add HOT Live Feeds to your site!
    www.LiveTwinksCam.com/webmasters.html

Quote Originally Posted by LiveTwinksCam View Post
    If it was dudes they were filming GGW would be in jail right now and facing CP charges.
    Definately I agree :thumbsup:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

marcjacob
    thats is scary for any affiliate advertising them, youd think affiliates would loose confidence and pull any of their ads. i certainly would. who wants to promote people like that? if the affiliates have any sense, this should seriously impact their business.