Thread: Google Adwords is so difficult

Top Cat

Google Adwords is so difficult

We recently hired a PPC expert to make some one-time changes to our AdWords account. He made some changes including creating new ads. The problem is he set some of the desination URLs to go directly to the store, and not through our age verification page.

So I went to change it through the Batch Edit feature and Google tells me the ads contain "Unacceptable Content" and it allow me to make the changes. But the ad texts aren't changing. They've already been approved just last week! I only want to change the destination URL slightly.

I talked to a live rep who said the problem may be the word "amateur" because it could imply underge models (WTF???). But many of the ads don't contain the word. Here's an example:

Want Muscle Bears?
    Find real XXX muscle bears now
    join our real muscle bear club!

Basically the rep was clueless.

I guess I need to e-mail Google and ask them how I can change the destination URLs...and not get my ads all disapproved in the process.

Anyone else had similar issues?

DamageX
    Google is getting so fucking retarded with AdWords lately...

robin
    I'd venture a guess that they have problems with the word "bears". The reason I say that is because when I tried running ads with them and a few other ppc programs none of them would let me run ads for my gay bears ad.

That's what they all told me anyway. AND YET...

At the same time they were all running ads for a site that was nothing more than a fpa to xxxgaybears.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    The problem with Google is that they are a victim of their own success and they have to play very cautiously with what words they allow adult ad buys for.

I can certainly see their train of thought behind not allow 'bear' in a campaign, im sure thousands of kids search for 'bear' related terms all the time and, unless you have negative keyword handling in place, Google could display and adult orientated ad to a minor, landing them in a heap of trouble.

Regards,

Lee

Top Cat
    Well I'd agree with you about the term "bear" except Google approved dozens of ads with the word "bear" last Thursday! We do have negative keywords and we only use bear in conjunction with "adult" terms.

I guess it's like the old "Kremlinologists" who tried to figure out what was going on inside the Soviet power structure by looking at photos of who stood where on the platform on May Day!