Thread: Bookmark Ratio

Gay is the new Black

Bookmark Ratio

What is a good bookmark ratio?

I'm looking at my stats and see a bookmark ratio of: 24%

Good or bad?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    In all honesty it totally depeds on whether you look at bookmarked traffic as a 'good' or a 'bad' thing.

Whilst many people beleive that their bookmarked traffic means they are doing something right, and to some extent they are, they are also doing something really bad... Cutting down their market audience.

The way i look at bookmark traffic is this, for every person who hits your site, doesnt buy anything, and bookmarks it, every time they return to your site, they are costing you more and more and more.

Im sure there are those whom will disagree with me on this but i personally like to see more and more unique visitors hitting my site than the same ones over and over again

That being said, there is also a place for an amount of bookmark traffic on certain types of sites, TGPs for example, where the people submitting galleries to you expect a certain amount of traffic in return for their submission, in this case, having a heavy base of bookmarker traffic is a good thing because it means that you can pretty much guarantee that you are going to continue recceiving submissions, thus keeping traffic coming back.

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The way i look at bookmark traffic is this, for every person who hits your site, doesnt buy anything, and bookmarks it, every time they return to your site, they are costing you more and more and more.
    As usual we have a difference of opinion.

How does a bookmarking surfer cost you anything? Bandwidth? Oh, please! Lol. I can't think of a single type of site that doesn't benefit from bookmarkers. AVS/frees site hubs, blogs, review sites, product sites, etc. all benefit from devoted surfers. TGPs and paysite tours probably benefit the least because the surfer is probably just scarfing up updates. But even those cheap-ass surfers may be compelled to join someday if given the right bait.

I have no proof, but I suspect my AVS bookmarkers are not only joining the AVSs through my sites but also buying memberships to multiple sponsor sites. I know my surfers pretty well and whenever I introduce a paysite that I think they will like, I experience a nice burst of new signups that tail off over time.