Thread: Do you find the new Posting Rules Counter Productive

Dzinerbear

Do you find the new Posting Rules Counter Productive

Hi all,

Earlier today I posted asking if anyone submits their AVS or free sites to Men on the Net and whether they find it productive for getting traffic. I guess I erred in posting in the main forum and it was moved to the the traffic forum, which no one seems to be reading because I've yet to receive any kind of a response. This is pretty unusual, even my oddest of questions gets some kind of response in the main forum within 30 minutes of posting.

Does anyone else find the segmentation of the board into smaller areas counter productive and a big pain in the butt? Who has time to hit 10 or 11 different forums on the same board.

Here's my post if you care to have a look:

http://forums.gaywidewebmasters.com/...ad.php?t=20327

Michael

Xstr8guy
    Yep, I agree with you Michael. I can see putting "Fun" stuff in it's own separate forum but anything business related is better off in the main forum.

marcjacob
    I was one of the people shouting about too much spam but i have to the new rules seem abit far. It should be simple, delete spam but allow news from regular contributors. Maybe Lee is trying to get us to read the other forums more, i have to admit i read the main board and rarely the others.

i never read any but the main forum. i'd prefer to have traffic trade and link stuff here but hey - it's not my board

Rimmates.com
    Same thing here. In fact, my post is still sitting lonely and unreplied to because nobody visits the other forums. I had to send PM's to some of the people I like and trust - so that they read the post and give me feedback.

My junk gets moved to the content forum because it pretty much needs to, but just like the traffic forum... NOBODY visits there!

BUT - I will say I was getting highly annoyed that new threads were only lasting 24 hours on the main page before getting pushed to page 2 because of all the casual chit chat, news ramblings, and gossip that didn't deal with GWW - like TV shows and fried coke.

So it's good, but ATTENTION EVERYONE: START VISITING THE OTHER FORUMS MORE OFTEN. Don't just lurk in the main forum.

Paco
    I like it when things are put in their proper place.

To help save time from navigating through any board, like GWW, I simply use the tab feature of FireFox (one tab for section I am interested in). I also never simply click the subject th@ piqued my whatever - I use the middle button on Squeak. Both help me "save time".

Otherwise, and to be truly fair, ALL the sections should be amalgamated allowing everybody member to post anything in the one remaining.

I get to play on six or so boards a day, and those that are properly organized save me time. Those that are not, do not!

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    The good thing about the board setup is that the heading of the forums is in bold when there is a new message you haven't seen there. I don't have anything to do with traffic so I don't visit there, but I would imagine if you have anything to do with traffic you'd want to peek in once in a while. How long does it take? Two seconds, you click a link. It's not that big of a deal.

It's like when I worked at a certain other content company. I had someone complain because they had to hit three buttons in order to see the information they were looking at and they got on my case because I wouldn't change the site and put a shortcut on the main page. Three clicks! WTF??? Have we become that lazy that we can't click three places to get an important piece of information?
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    As many of you have stated who have replied in this thread, the sub-sections of the GWW Community at the present time are rarely visited by people, primarily because i have been lapse in the past about making sure specific topics are posted on specific sections of the community overall.

Because of this, i want to make sure, as someone pointed out, if they post about content, they can do so in the 'content' area of the community and get answers from people knowledgable in that field of the adult industry. The only way that this is going to happen is to ensure that the individual forums on the community are getting visited, which until recently they werent because everything was being posted in the general forum.

Someone posted that business related threads on the general forum were hitting the 2nd, 3rd and 4th archive pages within 24 hours sometimes, not giving people enough of a chance to get full answers to their questions, hopefully, ensuring that these specific types of business discussions are posted in the correct areas of the GWW Community will mean that this no longer happens, to the benefit of us all.

In essence, by ensuring that we all, myself included, post our questions in the appropriate area of the GWW Community it is going to mean that we all benefit from community members who are knowledgable in traffic, content, hosting, technical issues without having the discussions lost in a field of non-related discussions for example, posting a content question in the hosting/tech forum.

By ensuring that we all participate in the individual sections of the GWW Community where we have an interest, not just the general forum, it means that we can not only share our knowledge with one another but also that we'll be sure the people answering our questions are knowledgable in the field we seek answers about... Which benefits everyone.

GWW is currently the primary destination for those in the adult industry to get help and advice on marketing to gay surfers, it will remain such so long as the information we seek and share is relevant, by ensuring that topics of discussion are posted in the applicable areas of the GWW Community, it also ensures that the information our community members receive, is on topic and relevant.

I realize that for many of us it is going to mean having to make an extra click to check out some of the sub-forums, but ultimately, if it means that 1 extra click is going to give us all more specific information, on a certain topic of discussion id gladly make 1 extra click to get that information.

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    I suppose, Don. And perhaps things will settle a bit in the next couple of weeks, but I'm still seeing clutter in the main forum that is less relevant than the post I made asking about a traffic source.

Should birthdays and election discussions be moved to Fun?

Michael

Gay is the new Black
    By posting in a section you never go to... You end up going to that section to post!
    Be Who You Are!

Dzinerbear
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolKnights View Post
    By posting in a section you never go to... You end up going to that section to post!
    Yes, I suppose you're right. But when most of the board never goes to any of the other forums, how long will we have to wait to get an answer to a post? I'm still waiting for anyone to say anything about my traffic post. I can pretty much guarantee there would have been 10 replies to my post by now if it were published in the main forum. So I imagine that not only will this new policy be dissatisfying for people looking for information, but also Lee who relies on post count stats to sell advertising.

Michael

Gay is the new Black
    For me... The main issue is that I see the main forum page on first visit. Once in a section (webmasters chat) I click the "Forum Jump" at the bottom and return to webmasters chat and not the main area.
    Be Who You Are!

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I don't know about anyone else, but the ONLY way I browse GWW is to go to the main page and click "new posts". Then anything that's been added in any of the subforums comes up. I browse the thread titles and read the ones that are of interest. Unless I look, I don't even know what section the post is in.

It works well for me, and once a day I usually check the main section the other way just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Maybe this will be helpful to others if they aren't already doing it.

Dzinerbear
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but the ONLY way I browse GWW is to go to the main page and click "new posts". Then anything that's been added in any of the subforums comes up. I browse the thread titles and read the ones that are of interest. Unless I look, I don't even know what section the post is in.
    Thanks for this, I didn't even know it was an option. Thanks for the tip.

Michael

Paco
    weird guys, that's just weird.

It's like saying one should stop using file folders, and the other drawers (of a multi-drawer file cabinet) and merely huck it all into just one, because opening the others takes time.

I still fail to see why it is so difficult to have open a few tabs - one for each section the person is involved or interested in.

So, does this mean (if peeps have their way) THIS will also become the section for spam.
    Or is that somehow different?