Thread: Question about the Election

marcjacob

Question about the Election

If the Republicans hold on to the Senate, will Bush loose less control than if he lost both houses? The news chanels here arnt talking about that. I think i read somewhere that both houses do different things, and that the Senate the more powerfull?

JustBryce
    I think there is very little chance of the Repubs holding onto the Senate. *knock on wood* it is almost guaranteed that Webb will be declared the winner based on previous recounts in recent Virginian history.

But, to answer your question, the House is actually more of a thorn in the executive branch's side. In the senate, you need at least 60 seats to be able to rule the roost there. A simple majority doesn't really accomplish too much, but it's good to have. The house can be a more powerful balance on the executive branch because the speaker of the house has absolute power to set the agenda. What votes come up on the floor and what order are all determined by the speaker. Additionally, committee chairmanships, sopena power, etc. will all be wielded now by the democratic party.

The Senate is a more powerful check and balance on the Judicial branch which is also good news. Let me look around and I think I can find some links to some more info that probably explains it a bit better.

throw fundamentalists to the lions chadknowslaw's Avatar
    All spending bills originate in the House, so even though they cannot control military policy with Bush being the Commander in Chief, the House can still exert a tremendous amount of pressure by withholding funding for Bush's agenda.

The Senate confirms judges -- so a Democratically controlled Senate can demand more moderate judge appointments or refuse to bring the nomination up in committee. With the age and health of some of the Supremes, Bush might get to appoint another Supreme Court Justice. Bush also has the opportunity to appoint many lower court and appeals court justices, and far-right judges will not get the easy pass they did under Republican control.
    Chad Belville, Esq
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.chadknowslaw.com
    Keeping you out of trouble is easier than getting you out of trouble!

Togm
    will be an interesting next 2 years. Democrats will be careful as its the NEXT election they really need to win.

marcjacob
    You mean when we another President Clinton! I so hope she runs and wins, her husband rocked - always had resepect for Bill Clinton for his work in Northern Ireland. And with foriegn policy being such a pressing issue maybe she would be good too. Do Americans like her?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    You mean when we another President Clinton! I so hope she runs and wins, her husband rocked - always had resepect for Bill Clinton for his work in Northern Ireland. And with foriegn policy being such a pressing issue maybe she would be good too. Do Americans like her?
    Some do and some don't, but there isn't much in between with her. People either love her or hate her. The Right Wing Republicans hate her with a passion.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

marcjacob
    New York obviously love her, i read she swept back in with ease. I also read somewhere when arni first got elected governor of California that they may change the law to allow him to run for President. IMO the last thing America needs is another President the world sees as a joke. Bush has done alot of damage to how the world sees the USA. I cant understand how he managed it either when the whole world was on the USA's side after 9/11.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    New York obviously love her, i read she swept back in with ease.
    New York is NOT like the rest of this country, unfortunately. Much of what is between the coasts is a wasteland of ignorance... especially the south.

And before any of you middle or south living americans get too worked up about my above statement... I live in Texas and I moved here from Minnesota. So I know what I'm talking about.