Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Republicans

Xstr8guy

Republicans

The talk in Tropixxx's thread has me all fired up and I need to vent.

Why should we liberals hold hands with Republicans and sing Kumbaya around the campfire just because the Democrats have won back the Congress? And now that the Dems have power, everyone in the media thinks we should be bipartisan. WHAT?!

NOT AFTER WHAT THEY'VE PUT US THROUGH THE LAST 6 YEARS!

The Iraq war...
    We went to war for what reason again? We've been lied to since day one. Nearly 3,000 American soldiers have died, nearly 50,000 American non-fatal casualities, and approx. 50,000 civilian deaths just so corporations could profit and Bush could avenge (or embarass) his father.

Gay marriage...
    Thanks to the religious conservative agenda we can never marry or have a civil union in 27 states due to state constitutional amendments. When did constitutional amendments start RESTRICTING civil rights?! You can thank the Republican next door for his hate.

Power, Corruption and Lies...
    American people are not represented by their Republican Congressmen anymore. So many Americans have lost faith in their government because of the massive corporate corruption that has infected our Congressmen. Corporate profits have soared due to legislation that favors countless industries. Where do these extra profits come from? OUR POCKETS!

And the lying! Swiftboat Vets are just one of many THOUSANDS of lies perpetuated by republicans to maintain their strangle-hold on America. There are just too many others to even start to mention.

The poor keep getting poorer...
    And the rich keep getting richer. Yes. it's the same old song and dance. But these past 6 years have been especially brutal on the poor and middle-class. Katrina made glaringly evident the lack of sympathy that the leaders of this country have for the poor. And those tax cuts that we were promised went to the rich... or course. Federal minimum wage hasn't increased in forever. The list goes on and on.

The liberal media...
    Everytime you turn on the TV or radio you are bombarded by a religious conservative agenda... family values, christian morals, right to life (abortion, stem cell research and Terri Schiavo but embrace the death penalty) intelligent design (creationism), war on christmas, global warming denial, evil-gays, protect the children, jesus, jesus, jesus, guns, and more jesus. Oh fuck off already and go back to the stone-age!

And since the election, we have to constantly hear about how the dems need to be bipartisan. WHY?! Where was the media when republicans diminished the power of the congressional minority (dems) to non-existant pests? We've been forced to the back of the bus for too long by the republicans. It's time for us to set the agenda and control Congess with OUR values!

neo cons are not republicans, they are a different breed. most republicans believe in LESS big government, not more as bush and our current guys believe in. neo cons also believe in spending like imelda marcos on a shoe buying trip where real republicans believe in careful spending.

besides, no one said we should hug them and sing khumbaya with them. what i'm saying is they have a right to their opinions as per the laws of this country. we don't have to like what they say but we should be protecting their right to say it as those are the same laws that give us our right to say the things we want to say.

Xstr8guy
    You know Patti, I honestly don't hate all republicans but the neo-cons and the moral majority types dominate the current republican party by a wide margin. So until things change, I'm just going to lump them altogether.

Xstr8guy
    And by the way, I'm not exactly fond of the milder form of Reagan republicans either with their trickle-down voodoo economics. :p

what about this statement reminds me of ferris bueller... bueller... beuller...

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    And by the way, I'm not exactly fond of the milder form of Reagan republicans either with their trickle-down voodoo economics. :p

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Jim,

You should buy Andrew Sullivans new book, im reading it at the moment and it is very enlightening, basically the people who were Republicans before Bush got in to office are now starting to question *what* their political affiliation is nowadays because the values that the Republicans, Liberals and Democrats once adhered to are no longer the same.

Regards,

Lee

marcjacob
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    what i'm saying is they have a right to their opinions as per the laws of this country. we don't have to like what they say but we should be protecting their right to say it as those are the same laws that give us our right to say the things we want to say.
    I kind of agree with that but how far do you take it? What about the racist groups? If i ran for office saying that black people shouldnt be allowed to get married would that be ok? Free speech has its limits imo. To be more extreme, do i have the right to say that hitler had a point with the Jews? Do i have the right to say a certain group of people should be killed? What if people followed that advice? I DONT believe any of that but my thought is do i have the right to go on tv saying it?

Personally i think freedoms come with responcibilty and that includes tolerance and respect to all members of society. How many of us have emailed the hosts of sites like godhatesfags.com asking them to pull the site? To me sites like this are wrong as they cause many suicides of young kids who may be religious but gay also.

I know this is extreme and i know my examples are about violence and harming people, but preaching right wing hate DOES harm people all the time. Hate crimes, young suicides, people self harming, it all stems from intolerance and hate disguised as the "good christian way" (im christian and believe that God loves gay people, and the Bible is mis-quoted and translated poorly - i dont even think the religious right are reading their Bible properly).

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    Personally i think freedoms come with responcibilty and that includes tolerance and respect to all members of society.
    Agreed, however the problem is that more often than not those tolerance levels are continually pushed more and more in the name of free speech.

Regards,

Lee

marcjacob
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Agreed, however the problem is that more often than not those tolerance levels are continually pushed more and more in the name of free speech.
    I could have just said that . Think i was in rant mode hehe

i'm not seeing that it happens more and more - it's always been there. i read a lot of books from the 1800s and early 1900s when all sorts of prejudices were spoken of by predominantly white authors as fact.

want to see homophobia? one of the raymond chandler detective books shocked me with the frank, clueless and harmful attitude toward gay men. want to see prejudice in action toward children? some of the oz books by ruth plumley thompson (who took over after baum died) have black racial stereotypes that make me sick to my stomach. what about the prejudice of the 1905 book "the clansman"? that was turned into the equally prejudiced movie many consider a masterpiece, birth of a nation, by d.w. griffith.what about passion plays, which were nothing but hatred toward jews? and mel gibson made a new one just recently.

unfortunately hate and blatant disrespect of entire groups of people is nothing new

Regards,

Lee

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar
    Simply replacing one angry group of politicians and beliefs with another group of angry politicians and beliefs simply breaks down this government. This government does not work when one belief system, party, or ideology rules with absolute authority. Every group has to compromise something. It's part of life. Why must everyone insist on winning it all.
    Artist/Painter and Webmaster of Huskyhunks.com.

amen!

and the same can be said of marriage, sports and a few other places where people seem to think winning is the only thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskyhunks View Post
    Every group has to compromise something. It's part of life. Why must everyone insist on winning it all.

Xstr8guy
    Jim,

You should buy Andrew Sullivans new book...
    I didn't see a single word after you said "Andrew Sullivan". He is the SEXIEST looking republican I've ever seen! And not to mention that he is my partner's doppelgänger. Lol, I guess I'm lucky since I have the liberal version for myself.

The very handsome gay republican Andrew Sullivan....

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskyhunks View Post
    Simply replacing one angry group of politicians and beliefs with another group of angry politicians and beliefs simply breaks down this government. This government does not work when one belief system, party, or ideology rules with absolute authority. Every group has to compromise something. It's part of life. Why must everyone insist on winning it all.
    This Pollyanna bullshit really pisses me off. Lol.

Where was the compromise for the past 6 years? Or even before that when republicans dominated Congress during Clinton's presidency? I didn't see much compromise then either. Checks and balances... pfft!

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    neo cons are not republicans, they are a different breed. most republicans believe in LESS big government, not more as bush and our current guys believe in. neo cons also believe in spending like imelda marcos on a shoe buying trip where real republicans believe in careful spending.

besides, no one said we should hug them and sing khumbaya with them. what i'm saying is they have a right to their opinions as per the laws of this country. we don't have to like what they say but we should be protecting their right to say it as those are the same laws that give us our right to say the things we want to say.
    :thumbsup: