Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Office chairs? My butt hurts. LOL

Xstr8guy

Office chairs? My butt hurts. LOL

My ass needs relief! Lol. And my hips ache all of the time.

Can anyone recommend a moderately priced ($300 range... I can't justify Hermann Miller prices) office chair that is super comfortable? I don't want a big executive-style chair. I actually prefer a steno-style chair with no arms because I sometimes sit indian-style. I also shift around a lot when working and chair arms always seem to get in the way.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I haven't looked recently, but a while ago there were a few genuine Aeron chairs (used) going on Ebay for $350-400, which is more than your target, but might be worth it.

Right now I'm alternating between a piece of shit Office Depot special and this

which has done wonders for my back, but gets tiring after about 4-5 hours.

I'm actually thinking about springing for an Aeron chair. They are pricey, but I've heard that they really do hold up exceptionally well and when I've used them I haven't found anything more comfortable.

Camper than a row of tents
    I don't even use regular computer desk chairs anymore. I think mine probably belongs with a tea table. Go into a furnature store and try some stuff out.
    I post here to whore this sig.

I'd rather be whole, than good
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post

Can anyone recommend a moderately priced ($300 range... I can't justify Hermann Miller prices) office chair that is super comfortable? I don't want a big executive-style chair. I actually prefer a steno-style chair with no arms because I sometimes sit indian-style. I also shift around a lot when working and chair arms always seem to get in the way.
    This is funny I am also looking at office chairs. I just got a HON that I hate.
    I have time to return it.
    So I think this chair is the best on the market..
    http://www.healthyback.com/store/sitting/aeronchair.htm
    I can get here in Denver for $799 and can finance it for 12 months free.
    It just makes me LOL that to get a good chair you have to pay like for a used car. But in the long run it's buy a good chair or pay my chiropractic 50$ a week. You do the math..

the little chairs with no arms always hurt my butt - they're less padded. executive chairs are more padded. when i started at this, i spent a couple years in smaller office chairs, but everything in my entire body felt better when i finally got an executive chair.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post

Oh but you can justify the cost of a Hermann Miller or Knoll product...

Just think of the number of cheap and uncomfortable chairs you may have already gone through or will go through in the next 10 years or so. One good chair will last, and last and last.

The $$$$$ Hermann Miller or Knoll chairs I bought over the past 25 years have lasted and lasted and lasted. The cheasy shit from Office Depot or the knock offs all fall apart, wear out, squeek, creak and break over time and need to be put out with the trash.

This is most definately one place a person who spends the LION SHARE of time wants to be comfortable.

Try the showroom samples in the back (sometimes) - these deals can be found just before "designer week" when the show rooms want to re-do things or, ask about what they have in the warehouse. Often, companies order custom colors or materials, pay for the products and then decide they don't want them.

I picked up a $3,500 Richard Meier bar stool for $50 bucks this way. Its now a classsic, out of production and worth more.

i dunno, tony. i spent $200 on my current chair. it's insanely comfortable and it's lasted 7 years. and i'm extra hard on chairs, a lot more so than the average person, so i'm pretty satisfied. i'll be replacing it shortly, but if you spend only $200 every 7 years for chairs, i'd say you're ahead of the game

Richard Craver
    maybe we should post pics of our current office chairs and set up a prize for whoever has the worst looking one?:cheerleader:

Not that this is gonna help but my friend got this funky looking chair that sort of looks like a bar stool but the seat is almost mushroom shaped and padded. When you sit on it the thing sort of bounces up and down a bit and rolls around slightly like an adult version of those spring horses they have at playgrounds. The point of it is that it forces you to center your body on it in order for you to sit comfortably on it. With most chairs you can slouch or curl and sit however makes you feel comfortable at the moment but prolonged sitting like that will eventually be bad for your spine. This chair makes you sit correctly or you'll fall over, but it still maintains comfort. I think it cost an arm and a leg and I have no idea what it's called or who makes it, but it's really cool. He's a CEO of his own computer consulting firm, so he spends hours in front of his computer and he says it's the best chair he's ever had.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by buffdude View Post
    This is funny I am also looking at office chairs. I just got a HON that I hate.
    I have time to return it.
    So I think this chair is the best on the market..
    http://www.healthyback.com/store/sitting/aeronchair.htm
    The Aeron chairs look interesting but I'm worried about the mesh especially the seat. I think I probably need the padding for comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    the little chairs with no arms always hurt my butt - they're less padded. executive chairs are more padded. when i started at this, i spent a couple years in smaller office chairs, but everything in my entire body felt better when i finally got an executive chair.
    I'm sitting with both of my feet on my chair right now... indian style. My partner thinks I'm goofy for sitting like this but I have always sat like this at home. I really can't do an executive-style chair unless it has a super-wide seat.

Quote Originally Posted by A_DeAngelo View Post
    Oh but you can justify the cost of a Hermann Miller or Knoll product...

Just think of the number of cheap and uncomfortable chairs you may have already gone through or will go through in the next 10 years or so. One good chair will last, and last and last...
    Lol, I DO have Hermann Miller lust! But I'm on a saving kick right now and I refuse to go into debt for a single chair. Must restrain myself... must shop at Office Depot

Quote Originally Posted by DonMike View Post
    Not that this is gonna help but my friend got this funky looking chair that sort of looks like a bar stool but the seat is almost mushroom shaped and padded.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    I'm not interested in the stranger alternatives. I'd break my neck! Lol.

Xstr8guy, I can understand that. I walk with my toes pointed outwards (not out of choice, I've just always walked that way) and I often sit indian style, or at least with one foot under the other knee. Problem is that I can't keep my legs straight for any length of time or I pinch nerves and cause my legs to get that pins and needles feeling. If I sit with both feet on the floor and my knees touching I will end up very uncomfortable after a while.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMike View Post
    Problem is that I can't keep my legs straight for any length of time or I pinch nerves and cause my legs to get that pins and needles feeling. If I sit with both feet on the floor and my knees touching I will end up very uncomfortable after a while.
    ME TOO! My feet and legs are numb or tingly most of the time. And I suspected that it was from piched nerves in my hips. The only time my legs and feet feel good is good is when I first wake up. I'm desperately hoping that a new office chair will help

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    OK

so nobody wants to run out and buy a $3,000 chair....

the alternative is to go to a good liquidator in your area

a $3,000 chair and matching $10,000 desk, etc, files, etc, lamps, etc can usually be found because... the world is full of business that start up and go bankrupt (probably because of their decorators) - the stuff gets picked up by a liquidator and then sold to us, the needy, at great prices

so you get something that someone has sat already - no different than a used car - you simple green it and voila the new office chair

I should think that there is a lot of furniture coming out or the Emron offices, yes?

or you can do what we do...

Cam likes to sit in my lap while I "drive" the computer

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by A_DeAngelo View Post
    OK

so nobody wants to run out and buy a $3,000 chair....

the alternative is to go to a good liquidator in your area

a $3,000 chair and matching $10,000 desk, etc, files, etc, lamps, etc can usually be found because... the world is full of business that start up and go bankrupt (probably because of their decorators) - the stuff gets picked up by a liquidator and then sold to us, the needy, at great prices

so you get something that someone has sat already - no different than a used car - you simple green it and voila the new office chair

I should think that there is a lot of furniture coming out or the Emron offices, yes?

or you can do what we do...

Cam likes to sit in my lap while I "drive" the computer
    Lol, we actually went out chair shopping this evening. I was horribly disappointed with the selection at the big box office supply stores. The next stop is office supply liquidators!

I remember when I moved to Dallas in 2000 right when the tech bubble burst. The liquidators had MASSIVE piles of the coolest modern office furniture for NOTHING. I wish I had outfitted my entire house with that stuff. The quailty and design of modern commercial furniture is outstanding. I could definitely live in a house furnished only with Hermann Miller office furniture... plus a bed.

I'd rather be whole, than good
    I am going to get this one this afternoon
    http://www.hon.com/products/DisplayP...4053&segment=C
    one of the biggest reason is the fact the arms move 3ways.
    And it has Integral lumbar support.

Office supply liquidators rock most have used but in my case they also sell new. So I am getting one in the box for under 500 bucks.
    The one I am useing right now has all of the Enron stuff.

Just a side note I don't think I would buy a used one.