Thread: One good sponsor or many?

marcjacob

One good sponsor or many?

Im looking again at my business model. Last time i did this i increased sales quite a bit (mainly as im still learning), so this is the first of probably many things i need advice on

I have one sponsor thats doing really well for me, much better than any of the others. I use their content taken from inside their site (i have consent for that). Would you drop the lesser sponsors and go all out on one or is that a dangerous move? Im worried that if they go down i loose the lot, but then there ratios are so much better that i feel like im wasting traffic sending it elsewhere.

Any thoughts on this?

samebb
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    Im looking again at my business model. Last time i did this i increased sales quite a bit (mainly as im still learning), so this is the first of probably many things i need advice on

I have one sponsor thats doing really well for me, much better than any of the others. I use their content taken from inside their site (i have consent for that). Would you drop the lesser sponsors and go all out on one or is that a dangerous move? Im worried that if they go down i loose the lot, but then there ratios are so much better that i feel like im wasting traffic sending it elsewhere.

Any thoughts on this?
    As the wise old saying goes, "Dont Put All Your Eggs In One Basket"

as you said, if the basket gets dropped you loose all your eggs. hehe

Just my 2 cents

maxpower
    For me I believe in 3 slots for sponsors, you should list you best converting sponsor at the top of about every page you create. I would follow this with my second best converting site as a footer on about every page. Now for the 3rd slot, I would keep this open to test new programs by placing them in replacement of your 1st or 2nd sponsors in the inner pages on your sites ECT. This way you give your primary money makers the best traffic you have and at the same time you can offer at least some other options to viewers that might have all ready joined your main site, and as well test new programs with out losing many sales at all. Keep in mind you should give new programs more than just one month before changing them to one of your primary sponsors, many programs artificially inflate the first few weeks stats, or turn out not to be good at long term conversions.

If the sponsor you use have good background then why think the worst 'what if one day...', but of course nothing cannot last forever and I agree with samebb and our ancestors don't depend on one basket.
    on the other hand I also think like maxpower. sending your best sponsor the top traffic you sell, offering your surfers an alternative sponsor with a better traffic usage, and of course always be on the look for better converting sponsors. anything can be replaced by a better one. good luck
    TOON program featuring upto 60% Adult Art Network Revenue Share Program
    CascadeBilling w/ Paycom,CCBill,WTS&2000Charge, weekly payouts ePass&Wire
    FHG's with thumbs & descriptions, RSS 2.0 support and free cartoon content!

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    As a sponsor, of course we'd love to see an affiliate work only with us... but on the other hand, if you're working with multiple sponsors, you not only spread your risk, but you potentially have that much better a chance of making a sale if you offer a variety of choices in the same niche.

If they don't subscribe at this site, maybe they'll go to that other site offering similar content and sign up there... and done right, it should increase your overall conversion.

The flip side is I think if you choose *too* many sponsors, you run the risk of confusing the surfer so he can't decide what he wants and might end up getting nothing... so matching up the sponsors with the interests of the traffic and targeting what they want specifically will probably get your best results.

JohnV
    I would probably stick to the biz model of spreading out your "investment" over a well researched array of affiliates....spread the risk factor out as well as give yourself the opportunity to realize some hidden potential within some "lesser" affiliates. You never know when one investment (in this care) an affiliate, might slow down for you. By having some traffic going to other areas that are still producing for you, hedges against any major swings you could see by focusing to tightly on one affiliate. My 2 $0.02

d@sexinc
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    As a sponsor, of course we'd love to see an affiliate work only with us... but on the other hand, if you're working with multiple sponsors, you not only spread your risk, but you potentially have that much better a chance of making a sale if you offer a variety of choices in the same niche.

If they don't subscribe at this site, maybe they'll go to that other site offering similar content and sign up there... and done right, it should increase your overall conversion.

The flip side is I think if you choose *too* many sponsors, you run the risk of confusing the surfer so he can't decide what he wants and might end up getting nothing... so matching up the sponsors with the interests of the traffic and targeting what they want specifically will probably get your best results.
    I agree completely.
    Exits consoles and cancellation incentives and deals are nothing to ignore. Explore all options when it comes to getting more $$$ out of your surfers and members.

Dave

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    For me I believe in 3 slots for sponsors, you should list you best converting sponsor at the top of about every page you create. I would follow this with my second best converting site as a footer on about every page. Now for the 3rd slot, I would keep this open to test new programs by placing them in replacement of your 1st or 2nd sponsors in the inner pages on your sites ECT. This way you give your primary money makers the best traffic you have and at the same time you can offer at least some other options to viewers that might have all ready joined your main site, and as well test new programs with out losing many sales at all. Keep in mind you should give new programs more than just one month before changing them to one of your primary sponsors, many programs artificially inflate the first few weeks stats, or turn out not to be good at long term conversions.
    So you are suggesting that marc use content from a particular sponsor and promote other sponsors on the same page? Not cool.

To answer your question marc... spread yourself out. Promote the HELL out of BSB while they are white-hot. But ALWAYS work with other programs too.

Also, work with other AVS's too. Don't just submit to one, because if your favorite AVS goes under... you're fucked. I think you also do free-sites so at least you aren't putting all of your eggs in the AVS basket, so that's good.

Anything you can do to diversify, is good. And many people have learned that the hard way from wonderful folks like Ibill, AdultCheck, AmateurStraightGuys.com, Reece Dylan, etc. With all of the failure and dishonesty involved in this business, you can't go wrong with expanding your options.