Thread: why do webmaster like to think things are over?

why do webmaster like to think things are over?

we have people here who post that avs is over, 468x60 banners are over, animated banners are over, jackoff sites are over - fuck, seems like almost everything is over

funny thing is, none of those things seem to be over. they may need to be done better, but doesn't everything these days? folks, we have more competition so things may take more planning, but on my end all those things are alive and kicking.

perhaps webmasters just like saying things are over :innocent:

samebb
    Patti, it might be webmasters being sneaky.

If they are doing something they want to be highly profitable, and then convince all the competition not to do it, they would automatically be the best :cheekymonkey:

Or maybe im thinking to hard :wtf:

Xstr8guy
    Hehe. I seem to be the source of most of your "over" list. I guess I just love and welcome change. Sure, I'm ALWAYS afraid that things will change for the worst... but I hope for the best. I get impatient with the status quo and I like to see things evolve.

I also tend to think that when people start declaring that something is "over" there is usually a lot of truth in it. For example, 800x600 site designs are quickly being replaced with bigger and wider designs. 5 years from now, you will probably still see old 800px wide pages all over the internet but not one single new website design will have those dimensions.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by samebb View Post
    Patti, it might be webmasters being sneaky.

If they are doing something they want to be highly profitable, and then convince all the competition not to do it, they would automatically be the best :cheekymonkey:

Or maybe im thinking to hard :wtf:
    Yes you are. With VERY few exception, the contributors on GWW don't intentionally give bad advice... ever! I'm sure some people prefer to keep some things to themselves and don't share everything they know. But you can't find a more honest, open bunch than here.

actually the over list has many, many contibutors - although you are certainly an honored source

but honestly 800x600 still sells best for me - as long as its done wide to all but fill the page. avs is going strong. banners work fine at all sizes. considering the internet has only been particularly active for 11 years, i don't think something that may be gone in 5 years is on the way out yet.

and whether you like to see things evolve or not, as long as something makes substantial money and clicks, it's not over yet. heck, 20% of our videos watched are our dialup clips - admittedly cleaner and better looking than most dialup clips but not at all comparable with our medium clips.

perhaps the internet is about adding more new things without throwing away the old things.

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    Hehe. I seem to be the source of most of your "over" list. I guess I just love and welcome change. Sure, I'm ALWAYS afraid that things will change for the worst... but I hope for the best. I get impatient with the status quo and I like to see things evolve.

I also tend to think that when people start declaring that something is "over" there is usually a lot of truth in it. For example, 800x600 site designs are quickly being replaced with bigger and wider designs. 5 years from now, you will probably still see old 800px wide pages all over the internet but not one single new website design will have those dimensions.