Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPAM etiquette

Clark

SPAM etiquette

If you are a webmaster, and I am a web content provider, what is the best way for me to aproach you without being an annoying SPAMhead?

1. add what you do and a link in your sig. that works well if you do it right - the more you post, the more people look at your product. that means if you post helpful hints to someone about making a web page or how to shoot content, you are also giving your sig visibility.

2. post an announcement on all the boards in the announcement section.

3. get boardtracker and set up terms that relate to what you do so every time someone posts the term "content", for example, boardtracker will send you an alert with a link. that way whenever someone posts looking for what you offer, you will know and be able to respond.

word of warning - read the entire post before responding. just because someone posts the words "content provider" doesn't mean they want what you offer. they could be looking for content of 90 year old men.

i see you've posted here 13 times. consider this - the more people know and like you as a fellow business person, the more likely they will refer you business. so don't only talk on threads about selling content - post about business and fun and post regularly.

samebb
    i REALLY dont mind producers sending me emails. That is if they are not mailing lists.

If a content producer sends me an email greeting me by name, explaining that they think their content would be a great addition to "whatever" site i own its something i am happy to read, reply to, and possible engage into a business relationship over.

well, i DO mind. i've gotten emails from 5 producers in the last week. not one had looked at my site long enough to notice it was solo and not one knew the site was non nude and non explicit. as far as i can tell, not one even knew the site was bodybuilders - the guy who just emailed me certainly didn't.

if someone doesn't know that much about my site, they couldn't have the smallest idea of what i need so i don't really need to hear from them. i'd rather get to know them a little on the board and i do occasionally post asking about muscualar models - they could respond on the threads if they wanted to make contact. but most don't get to know us, aren't part of our community and don't know a fucking thing about our sites.

why do we all love don mike so much? because he doesn't blind spam no matter what content provider he works for at the time. he takes part in our communities and he does know what we're about. and that works a lot better than blind spamming.

Quote Originally Posted by samebb View Post
    i REALLY dont mind producers sending me emails. That is if they are not mailing lists.

If a content producer sends me an email greeting me by name, explaining that they think their content would be a great addition to "whatever" site i own its something i am happy to read, reply to, and possible engage into a business relationship over.

Clark
    Thanks for the advice.

When a website owner looks at a content provider's website, what do they look at? Is it price? Models? Quality of the examples? How many websites they have provided for?

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

When a website owner looks at a content provider's website, what do they look at? Is it price? Models? Quality of the examples? How many websites they have provided for?
    In this order for me...

Models - You have to have models in my niches or I'm not buying... no matter how low the price or high the quality.

Price - I've seen some great content out there. But if you are asking $1,000+ for anything, I'm out. Imo, content producers should offer at least a small amount of semi-exclusive content for those of us on a budget. Maybe we will get hooked on your "crack" and keep coming back.

Quality - Just keep the models eyes open and the camera focused! Lol. I love super-high quality content but as long as the model is hot and the pictures are clear, it should sell.

Samples - Why is that content producers/photographers usually have such awful sites? I had someone contact me recently and he sent me ftp links for god's sake! The stuff looked great but was impossible to browse. At least put some thumbs on a page that link to a full-size pic. That's not asking a lot.

marcjacob
    If you are a webmaster, and I am a web content provider, what is the best way for me to aproach you without being an annoying SPAMhead?
    Well that is a huge start to getting respect. Not just spamming but asking people if you can approach them. I get so sick of spammers.

Its simple really, like the others said get involved, have fun, learn and teach. We all benefit from that. Youll also earn respect and rep and people will approach you when they need something.

Youll also get questions from people approaching you or threads asking for this or that. Thats the right time in my veiw to sell what you have.

Whem your well known on the board and are doing a deal or something new, then we all want to know about it.

Dzinerbear
    If you truly have content to sell, then I don't mind being hit up on ICQ or AIM. But if a "content provider" is just trying to sell me leased feeds, I'm not interested. I certainly don't mind getting e-mails either.

Like xstr8guy, I'm interested in my niche first. If a content provider doesn't offer hairy guys, bears, real men, or uncut cocks, I really have no place to use this content.

Next for me is price and quality. If you have my niche at a cheap price but it looks like it's been shot through the bottom of a paper bag, I can't buy it.

Michael

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Generally speaking, posting the same message on a wide range of industry boards asking for peoples opinions on what is spam then changing your signature to break the board rules (which can be found here) is a big no-no.

Thats just my opinion though

Regards,

Lee

marcjacob
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thats just my opinion though
    Does that mean we can break the sig rules without you changing the sig or banning us?

I should push something in my. Have no crap to sell though

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    Does that mean we can break the sig rules without you changing the sig or banning us?

I should push something in my. Have no crap to sell though
    No. It means he's about to banned if he doesn't change his sig soon.

marcjacob
    Im dont really do subtle, things need to spelt out for me

Clark
    Wow, some really good advice here. Thanks very much, I appretiate all of it! And sorry about the sig. I changed it.

marcjacob
    Wow, some really good advice here. Thanks very much, I appretiate all of it! And sorry about the sig. I changed it.
    I changed mine too

marcjacob
    BTW your allowed 3 lines of text according to the rules. Might aswell use it!