Thread: Webmaster Union

Dzinerbear

Webmaster Union

Do you think a webmaster union would ever fly?

Let's say for example that a sponsor was doing some blatant shaving. Do you think you could ever get a thousand webmasters to agree to temporarily suspend their links to that program, and then, e-mail the sponsor? Or do you think there would always be some of the rank and file that would say they'll do it and then not do it. Or likewise, let's say an AVS, link list or TGP was jerking webmasters around, do you think you'd ever get a huge group of people to blacklist the said entity until they changed their policy?

Or do you think independent webmasters are so committed to their bottom line that you'd never get them to agree of course of action that might benefit the whole webmaster community?

Michael

Corey Bryant
    It sounds like a great idea but like any other organization, etc who would be watching over them? There always has to be someone watching over the other person these days it seems

marcjacob
    I think the problem is that if the union accused a sponsor they be open to legal action.

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    Its an awesome idea! Maybe we all could buy health insrance throw it?

samebb
    In all honestly, unofficially this board is in a way like a union. People find out about everyone ect. Someone does something wrong, everyone knows.

You don't have to be straight to be in the Army; you just have to be able to shoot straight. ponyboy's Avatar
    if we all got together like a giant group, maybe we could get a good price on health care?

:troll:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    There was one, of sorts back in the day, several of the larger program owners grouped together and acually helped one another do traffic deals, split the cost of content, trade traffic, etc etc.

The problem was, because everyone in that group was seen as a 'stand up guy' it only took one of them to fuck the whole concept up due to the problems that a lot of program owners had back then, so much money with so many vices.

We also have 'advocacy groups' such as the FSC, ASACP etc who say they work with and for the industry yet, all they do is take, take, take.

It would be great if there could be an honest, non-politcal union for those in the industry unfortunately, the chances of one ever surviving past the first/second year are astronomically minute.

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    Yes, the health insurance idea is definitely another aspect. I didn't even think of that at the time, but I have had such discussions in the past. I'm actually surprised someone / company hasn't already tackled this.

Michael

CorbinFisher.com CorbinFisher_BD's Avatar
    One of the difficulties in trying to start up such a thing would be compliance (even though voluntary in this case).

Same goes with an industry "best practices" or "code of conduct" kind of thing.

I think it'd be extremely difficult to get people to agree to comply with it, precisely because there's no guarantee everyone else would comply with it. Even if someone knew and was fully committed, on their own, to be thoroughly upstanding, they might feel at a competitive disadvantage compared to those webmasters who wouldn't agree to any such thing.

For example, even if you had every intention to never shave, you might not want to volunteer yourself to some 3rd party that would monitor you making sure you weren't shaving when there were tons of websites out there that weren't monitored by the same body.

CorbinFisher's Amateur College Men

I hear what you are saying Lee loud and clear, but still if we could form some kind of group, I know most people have no insurance, or are paying throw the nose for it.

Corey Bryant
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    if we all got together like a giant group, maybe we could get a good price on health care?
    That's one of the biggest rackets yet. I had to get insurance last year because I knew I had to have hernia surgery. They have changed so many things (added more things) - like co-insurance. So even if I did have an 80/20 plan and a deductible of $500 per year, I still had this co-insurance thing of $1,000.

At least First Data is finally covering domestic partners so I will be on a group plan as well now.

I know its one of the biggest scams out there, Im paying 345 a month now with a 500 copay, just drives me nuts

I'd love to see some kind of industry group insurance for health care.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I'd love to see this happen, but I'm gujessing that the backbiting and renegade nature of webmasters (inability to agree on almost anything) would make it difficult to succeed. I'd be down for trying, though

lets give it a try!