Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Content Management Systems??

blah blah blah...

Content Management Systems??

Hey guys.

We're designing our pay-site and we're considering the idea of using a Content Management System to simplify future updates and such.

We're very unfamiliar with this type of system so i was wondering what your thoughts are on it. Our site is going to feature exclusive videos and photos that we've shot ourselves, with weekly updates.

What are some reasons why we should consider this system? What programs would you recommend and how much do they cost? Is is difficult or complicated to implement for someone with not too much script/html knowledge?

Thanks guys!!

Allan

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    The primary reason you should consider getting a CMS to operate your sites members area is the amount of time you'll save.

With a CMS you just have to hit a few buttons and everything is done for you, if you are doing that manually, what could take 30 seconds using a CMS might take 30 minutes by hand.

You might also want to check out this article i wrote a few years ago which goes in to a little more detail about choosing a CMS that is right for you...

http://www.contentmanagementscript.com

Also, dont be afraid to consider going the custom programmed route, thats what i did for my CMS and i love it, it has more features than a lot of the off-the-shelf scrpts do and im able to add features to it in a timely manner as and when i please.

Regards,

Lee

if you don't want to spend the big bucks, you might consider aWiz. we used it for some stuff and although it is basic, it definitely did the job. they charged us a very reasonable price for doing a little customization.

the best cms i've worked with is MAS. it costs, but it does everything you can imagine. incredible program!

still, for reality sites and other similar sites, awiz does it all and does it very cheaply.

blah blah blah...
    Wonderful!! Thanks, Lee!

Ok now lets consider that we want to go ahead and use a CMS. Which one should we use? What have been peoples experience with the ones that they've used?

Thanks so much!

Allan

Allan,

I can only really speak for my custom solution and i love it. Actually thats a lie, we used some crazy CMS on DILF (no idea which one) and it used to drive me crazy, you had to click 5 or 6 different links before even getting to see a specific content set LOL

Regards,

Lee

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    if you don't want to spend the big bucks, you might consider aWiz. we used it for some stuff and although it is basic, it definitely did the job. they charged us a very reasonable price for doing a little customization.

the best cms i've worked with is MAS. it costs, but it does everything you can imagine. incredible program!

still, for reality sites and other similar sites, awiz does it all and does it very cheaply.
    Thanks Basschick.

I looked at both and awiz does seem very basic but it's also very cheap. Which maybe all we need for a reality site anyway, like you said.

About MAS....how much does it cost? and is it really worth it to go with that over awiz?

Can you point me to some sites that use Awiz and MAS?

Thanks!

Allan

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Allan,

I can only really speak for my custom solution and i love it. Actually thats a lie, we used some crazy CMS on DILF (no idea which one) and it used to drive me crazy, you had to click 5 or 6 different links before even getting to see a specific content set LOL

Regards,

Lee
    What does going the custom route look like? Do you hire an independent script guy and have him do it for you? or do the companies that Basschick mentioned, do that? For a little more that what they charge for their pre-packaged systems???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GPallan View Post
    What does going the custom route look like? Do you hire an independent script guy and have him do it for you? or do the companies that Basschick mentioned, do that? For a little more that what they charge for their pre-packaged systems???

Thanks
    You'd have to find a programmer to do it for you, i think mine cost me about $1000 a couple of years ago and whilst that is more expensive initially than purchasing something like Awiz, it also means that i could potentially own 1000 paysites and not have to pay for additional versions of something like Awiz.

The other benefit is that if i need something adding to it, i dont have to wait for an 'update' to a program like Awiz, i can just say to the programmer, this is what i want, whats it going to cost, and within a couple of hours or days, i have the new feature.

Regards,

Lee

i didn't wait for updates with awiz - just wrote to them and they did the customization for me, usually for $35 each, which was very nice. honestly it did everything we needed including a customization that allowed us to have 2 different pic sets for each episode.

MAS is spectacular. it can run multiple paysites with ease, works off tags and templates and they were willing to customize, also. you can do almost anything with it, including sharing content in member areas, creating the galleries, etc. even the product tour is spectacular - why not take a look? http://www.mansionproductions.com/mas/

blah blah blah...
    You'd have to find a programmer to do it for you, i think mine cost me about $1000 a couple of years ago and whilst that is more expensive initially than purchasing something like Awiz, it also means that i could potentially own 1000 paysites and not have to pay for additional versions of something like Awiz.

The other benefit is that if i need something adding to it, i dont have to wait for an 'update' to a program like Awiz, i can just say to the programmer, this is what i want, whats it going to cost, and within a couple of hours or days, i have the new feature.

Regards,

Lee
    That sounds like a good way to go possibly. Did he make you a user interface and all that? Is it user friendly? And how can i look into finding a good programmer who could do this for me? Or could you possibly refer me to yours?

Thanks again...

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by GPallan View Post
    That sounds like a good way to go possibly. Did he make you a user interface and all that? Is it user friendly? And how can i look into finding a good programmer who could do this for me? Or could you possibly refer me to yours?
    Well interface wise, it does what i need it to, but it isnt 'flashy' in terms of looks, its plain HTML and check boxes along with some clickable links, Patti has seen and used it for me, so she's more than welcomed to mention how usable it is.

Ill shoot you a PM with a version of the script im currently installing for some straight sites and you can have a poke around if you would like?

Im actually not sure if the original programmer is available for new work but ill PM you his info now so you can at least try getting in touch with him

Regards,

Lee

blah blah blah...
    hmmmm....i guess it depends on what you need the program to do...so...

Our site is going to feature a new video and two photo sets every week. with two photo sets...one will be screen grabs from the vid and another will be actual digital pics.

Each weekly feature will be displayed on it's own page, so there will be an index with a list of all the updates (say like http://www.nextdoorbuddies.com/preview/index/index.php) that link to these individual pages. That's all really.

And what's really important is that the most recent update be displayed at the top left hand-corner of the first page. So the script will have to "push forward" the last update to make room for the new update.

What do you guys think? Will Awiz offer everything we'd need?

Thanks

Allan

blah blah blah...
    Well interface wise, it does what i need it to, but it isnt 'flashy' in terms of looks, its plain HTML and check boxes along with some clickable links, Patti has seen and used it for me, so she's more than welcomed to mention how usable it is.

Ill shoot you a PM with a version of the script im currently installing for some straight sites and you can have a poke around if you would like?

Im actually not sure if the original programmer is available for new work but ill PM you his info now so you can at least try getting in touch with him

Regards,

Lee
    oh that'd be awesome, Lee! Would love to tinker with your....ummm....program

and yeah, i'd appreciate it if you could send me your programers info

thanks

blah blah blah...
    Does anyone know how much MAS costs?

lee's was easy to use and worked like a charm.

and awiz did a hack for me so i could have 2 pic sets and 1 video for each update, so i know it can be done but the preview thumbs in each folder will have to be named "icon.jpg" if you want to make them yourself, as i recall. and it must have been easy to use - i used it without bothering them