Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Encoding Question!

I'm not gay; I'm British!

Video Encoding Question!

Hi!

I'm looking to encode my videos for my site and was wondering about video formats.

I want to encode in only one format and need suggestions on which format is the most `acceptable' to the widest range of surfers.

I'd prefer WMV but am unsure how easy it is for WMV to play on Macs etc?

Any suggestions or is WMV the way to go?

Thanks
    Ernie

Making Pain Pay!
    As a mac person, as much as I hate to say it...yes, WMV will play well on Macs as long as there is no DRM. I still have problem on my mac with DRM files.

But, in my humble opinion, Quicktime is still the way to go...by far...for quality. When I join a site, I make sure that they offer it in quicktime, or I don't join.

WMV:whip:
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

WMV is your best bet. btw, WMV will be smaller in file size, so that means it's cheaper to serve and - important here - faster for your members to download. plus WMV streams so your members won't have to wait for it to start playing. there are a few guys who can't see it - but unless you're serving MPGs, there are always going to be a few guys who can't see your movies. and MPGS aren't self streaming so you'll displease more members who are not used to waiting for movies to download.

and quicktime may be better quality at very high quality, but when used in paysites i mostly see quicktime vids at worse quality because quicktime files are so much larger. at a normal web size and speed, WMV can look very good.

Xstr8guy
    basschick, what codec do you use when encoding quicktime in Vegas?

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    basschick, what codec do you use when encoding quicktime in Vegas?
    I tried Sorenson3 at 90% quality but I ended up with a video that was 6 times larger than my WMV. Also, what audio codec do you use?

i use sorenson to do my quicktimes and i use the default sound since i don't know that much about quicktime.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    i use sorenson to do my quicktimes and i use the default sound since i don't know that much about quicktime.
    What quality % are you using? My source is an AVI and the quicktime version is coming out at over 600MB comared to my high-quality WMV at 88MB. I must be doing something wrong. Lol.

Hi!

Thanks for all the info, the script I am using allows me to `stream in WMV' as well as offer a download link so that may be the way to go.

If, when I get the upgrade I can offer the files in various formats and qualities but at the moment maybe WMV is the way to go at least for now!

Thanks heaps

One More Question - Screen Captures

Hi!

Is there a Freeware or Cheap :drunk: program to make screen captures.

I can use the Microsoft Movie Maker to take single screenshots but am looking for one that will take a screenshot say every x seconds (5 seconds) through the whole video so at the end I have say 250 screenshots from which to choose 10 best samples.

Is there an automatic solution rather than manually grabbing and saving a screenshot manually every x seconds?

Thanks

P.S. I did have a program that was supposed to do it but I got 200 captures of the same image

i use frameshots for vidcaps - the batch tool. it's not free but it is cheap and works great. and btw, a single link direct to a WMV will allow members to stream or save - left click and they can stream, right click and save as to save.

Xstr8guy - quicktimes are huge. if you want them smaller, you have to sacrifice quality. we're probably going to use MPG for our second format as they are universal and are not as big as quicktime.

Xstr8guy
    i use frameshots for vidcaps - the batch tool. it's not free but it is cheap and works great. and btw, a single link direct to a WMV will allow members to stream or save - left click and they can stream, right click and save as to save.

Xstr8guy - quicktimes are huge. if you want them smaller, you have to sacrifice quality. we're probably going to use MPG for our second format as they are universal and are not as big as quicktime.
    Ah thank you! I will stick with RealMedia as my second format. It looks great and has very small file sizes and I believe it is quite Mac-safe. I sure wish Vegas could encode Flash. I would use that instead.

I bought Frameshots because of a recommendation from basschick. I love it! It's definitely worth the little money it costs although sometimes it locks up for me in batch mode.

i've never had it lock up. how many pics ya doing? i generally do between 100 and 200 at high quality, same size as video.

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    I bought Frameshots because of a recommendation from basschick. I love it! It's definitely worth the little money it costs although sometimes it locks up for me in batch mode.

Xstr8guy
    i've never had it lock up. how many pics ya doing? i generally do between 100 and 200 at high quality, same size as video.
    Sometimes I'll load a series of AVIs that equal as much as 30 minutes and take captures every 3000ms or less.

I do that so I can find the best pics for the tour and also weed out the nasty looking ones so I can put together a really nice bonus gallery for members.

If I have problems with lock-up, I'll remove a clip or two from the queue and it usually be fine.

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thejungle View Post
    I'd prefer WMV but am unsure how easy it is for WMV to play on Macs etc?
    Any suggestions or is WMV the way to go?
    Thanks
    Ernie
    we're Mac based and we're happy with the WMV files however, we are also offering everything in Quicktime as well - just so that we cover all of our bases... we like happy customers...

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I would say if you're doing one format, make it WMV. If you're doing two, go with WMV and Quicktime.

Real is fading fast, and the percentage of people who have RealPlayer installed on their machines isn't nearly as high (last I checked) as those who have Quicktime and/or Windows Media player.