Thread: chat room & feedback

ShowGuys

chat room & feedback

Hey everyone,

We are trying to find a good chat room to embed in our site. Any one knows or has a good experience with one?
    what do you think is better: flash based or java based?

So far, after searching and trying few, none really looks good and have all the function we need (topic, admin options, auto guest log-in, changing nickname and so on). I saw the previous tread about chat rooms here, but not one of them was good enough-any new ideas?

Right now we are using 123FlashChat (http://www.123flashchat.com/) which after paying a lot of money for customization, I still hate its look and functionality. you can check it by logging to our site, username: gwwm passord: fuckme2

any other feedback for our site is always welcome, we sure do need lots of it, there is still a lot to get done and improve there...

have a great weekend,
    cheers

LiveTwinksCam.com LiveTwinksCam's Avatar
    We use webmasterchat for our chat room, which is java based. Webmaster chat is the standard in the voyeur cam biz. It allows every option you can think of admin wise, kicking, banning, title bar, etc. I hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

Add HOT Live Feeds to your site!
    www.LiveTwinksCam.com/webmasters.html

Gay is the new Black
    You could also load up an old MIrc/Irc Jas script and run a bot or two when you're away.
    Be Who You Are!

That's right. It's good stuff.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

ShowGuys
    where can I get that chat?

Here is the link for it www.webmaster.com Look for conference room on their website. The chat software is called conference room.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

ShowGuys
    oh OK, here is the right address: http://chat.webmaster.com/

thanks for the info!

Good deal. Yeah either link will work. I don't use the link as we already have it, I was just looking it up for you. That's the link on our software for it. Let us know what you decide on.
    Thanks,
    Jacob

desslock
    Chad Farrell was at Internext and he has an interesting new chat application at www.chadster.com

You might email him and see if his half web page / half chatroom application compliments your project.

Steve

samebb
    May be seen as an "old" way of doing it, but i would set up and IRC server and use a java based interface for your chat room.

I don't know the best chat software, but I do know that a lot of data centers block IRC thanks to kiddie hackers who use it for some seriously nasty stuff. I would recommend java or flash based products to be safe.

cheers,
    Luke

samebb
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost View Post
    I don't know the best chat software, but I do know that a lot of data centers block IRC thanks to kiddie hackers who use it for some seriously nasty stuff. I would recommend java or flash based products to be safe.

cheers,
    Luke
    Thats all very true luke. i used to moderate an IRC server, and there were constant problems with little idiots trying to cause hassle. The way we managed to solve it, was by forcing use of a Java Client, that was developed to not even allow access to anything sensitive. It worked great but i cant for the life of me remember the name.

I know there are a few about, and many big entertainment websites, such as BBC Radio, use similar chat clients on an IRC backend.

Maybe its not the best solution, however i am a person that likes to stick to what i know.

On the side of a flash based solutions, these can cause very slow loadtimes, or at least used to a few years back. Im not sure how much flash chatroom solutions have come on since i was involved in that area.

ShowGuys
    thanks everyone for all the tips. I will keep you update when we install a new chat room

Where do I get IRC server from? was looking online for one and could not find where to get it

cheers

perhaps things have changed but if irc is what it used to be, i wouldn't touch it. it leaves your members open to problems and people can shut down other people's chats.

ShowGuys
    if we do end up using IRC server there will be no free access to it, only from a java applet in our site and with limited funciality for the chatter, so it should be safe enough

We had good experience with Badpupy's own IRC server and a $25 IRC applet in the past- but we want more chat functions now

The problem with those java applets is that the members need to click to authorize their use, and that scare some of them. Flash onthe other hand just load up to the browser with no extra steps