Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a program like strongbox for windows?

is there a program like strongbox for windows?

i know a guy with a paysite on a windows server and he's getting hit by password traders. looks like strongbox and pennywize are out for him, so does anyone know of a program that works like them but works on a windows server?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Are you sure that Pennywize won't work? I was of the impression that it's just a CGI script that interacts with the Pennywize servers... but I will also claim zero knowledge of Windows servers.

i learned enough about windows servers to get back to unix servers asap

from pennywize site "Works on all unix systems (Extensively tested with FreeBSD, Linux, SunOS/Solaris, BSDi) as well as Rhapsody on the PowerPC".

Xstr8guy
    I can't answer your question but maybe you should strongly suggest that he move to Linux server ASAP.

his live show software works only in windows...

Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    I can't answer your question but maybe you should strongly suggest that he move to Linux server ASAP.

Strange but not terribly surprising that there aren't as many choices for Windows boxes.

Depending on how large his site is, one option might be to get a cheap Linux box and host password authentication and most of the member content there, and then just pull the liveshow stuff from the Windows box... might not be that expensive if most of the bandwidth is coming from the windows box... there are Linux dedicated boxes for less than $100/month.

Other than that, I asked a couple friends and no one knew of anything offhand...

samebb
    I think the best option is to get a security script written soecifically for his site. Could be an investment if there really isnt a solution out there for windows based servers.

chip, that's pretty much what i suggested.

sam, there is an existing password script for windows but alas, i can't remember the name. i was briefly on a windows box with a host who LOVED windows and he used it all the time. too bad that host has disappeared from the internet...

http://www.flicks.com/ something like this?

authentix - that was the one!

thanks, bec!!!

JohnV
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    i learned enough about windows servers to get back to unix servers asap ......
    smart, very very smart move....

Linux / unix is much more stable, and thats just for starters....

you two beat me to it LOL - Authentix is the only windows based tool I know of.

cheers,
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    authentix - that was the one!

thanks, bec!!!

Cool ... you're welcome

FWIW, I know a site running Authentix that has a shared password that has been listed on various password sites for about 8 weeks... and the password still works.

I didn't realize that Authentix was a password security thing, the webmaster mentioned it in passing and i thought it was something else.

Maybe they don't have it implemented correctly, but I was surprised to say the least.

ShowGuys
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    FWIW, I know a site running Authentix that has a shared password that has been listed on various password sites for about 8 weeks... and the password still works.

I didn't realize that Authentix was a password security thing, the webmaster mentioned it in passing and i thought it was something else.

Maybe they don't have it implemented correctly, but I was surprised to say the least.

Authentix is just to manage website's users and password. WebQuota for websites and VideoQuota for streaming video/audio, both from Flicks Software, (the creator of Authentix) are for pretectiion: http://www.flicks.com/