Thread: Am I Just Not Seeing It?

Paco

Am I Just Not Seeing It?

This is not really a "fun" kinda post, however from what I've gathered from the "new rules" this is the only place to post/ask the following:

I belong to a few telemark (ski) forums. The members are mostly from places like Colorado, Utah etc.

A question was posed to all, and one of the replies sent me off the deep end:
    ... it used to be the road homos who had a rep for being snotty ...

I replied with:
    road homos- that's just cherry.
    What's next? ******, Kyke, Wop, Filthy American Pig Dog...

First off, the term has been used since the early 90's to describe road (not mountain) cyclists, or roadies. When I lived in Wankouver that term was uttered from the lips of many all the time. I hated it then and I still do, so I tried to inform the user that insults as such are not welcomed.
    (I am still cleaning-up after all the rotten tomatoes found their way on me.)

Therefore, I ask you this: am I too sensitive to the term?
    I have been told that they are merely words, terms or phrases (just like ****** is what I asked - my apologies for the use of that word), but are they ... merely words?

The You're-Too-PC defence was hurled my way, but it (the use of the word homo) has little or nothing to do with political correctness - it is meant to demean ... it is purposely derogatory. PC is a thing of correcting mislabelled & incorrect terms as well removing unintentional insults (cripple, retard etc).

Was I ... am I wrong?

I truly hope this does not, or has not, upset anybody here.

Paco
    Thanks for helping me with this!
    Apparantly they (those that use the term) were right in believing there is nothing wrong with it.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Thanks for helping me with this!
    Apparantly they (those that use the term) were right in believing there is nothing wrong with it.
    Your mistake for posting it in this forum. Would you like me to move it to the general forum where it will be seen? I can't guarantee it will stay in the general forum but it may be worth a try.

Btw, I don't find the word 'homo' nearly as offensive as 'fag'. 'Homo' just sounds so clueless and harmless compared to 'fag' which sounds very hateful.

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    the "you're too PC" crap has got to go. The people who say this (in regards to race, sexual orientation etc.) are quite often assholes just looking for an excuse to BE hateful assholes without consequence or condemnation.