Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My host is offering $1 per year specials

marcjacob

My host is offering $1 per year specials

http://www.surpasshosting.com/content/onelove/

I dont own it or work for them. I host with them, there offering all their packs for a dollar for year. They are an ok host. No downtime in a few months with them but support can be a good 24 hours sometimes.

maxpower
    That looks really cool to me, I am paying like .45 a Gig I might have too really check this out. This could solve some other promotional problem I might have had too. What URL’s do you host with them, you like them?

marcjacob
    allhornyboys.com and the other avs and freesite holder domains.

I like them. I had a bust up with them before. I was late paying a bill, they sent me a reminder so i paypaled the money but because i didnt use "the billing" system they cut me off anyway. I think that was more my fault. Thats the only problem i had really.

Im going to buy more space as i may aswell at that price and would upgrade at some point. Shame i cant cancel my existing account. Not allowed

maxpower
    Is this really for adult hosting, something has to be wrong with this. Freedom from ANY hosting restrictions could make things very interesting though

marcjacob
    They allow adult, 100% on that as i asked even though it was someone on GFY that first told me about them.

Its a special so they must be hoping people will stay after the year. I guess with all you sites on it will be a bitch to move. They arnt expensive to begin with. I think they are a big company though, many different servers.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    They allow adult, 100% on that as i asked even though it was someone on GFY that first told me about them.

Its a special so they must be hoping people will stay after the year. I guess with all you sites on it will be a bitch to move. They arnt expensive to begin with. I think they are a big company though, many different servers.

They can not take CC online? I have to paypal them the X dollars very month? Bank A hates paypal BTW

Server does look fast man.

Why do you need more space? Smallest package I saw had 200GB of space

marcjacob
    This may help:

http://surmunity.com/showthread.php?t=21909

They take cards i think. Their saying in the forum that you are free to cancel after the year.

Ran out of bw so upgraded to the next pack up. I guess im going to hit that limit too at some point. I get my server working hard as i have a script building every site and every thumb, then duplicating it all on the right folder.

maxpower
    I think I will send them a domain and see how they do I guess this is really all I need new work that is, but this would give me more room to play. I have to say this is really good timing for me just gives me a weird gut feeling that something must be wrong with it, but I have issues. :crazyeyes:

marcjacob
    I know what you mean as it seems too good to be true. If i didnt host allready with them i would never ever post about it.

http://www.webhostingtestimonials.co...eviews-ratings

no surprise that a lot of people are having problems. there's no way they can do that special without overselling, so once a server has a couple busy sites or there's too many sites, things will slow down.

marcjacob, how do you know there's no downtime? not trying to be an asshole here, but do you have monitoring?

marcjacob
    No and thats a great point. I kind of gather that there isnt as my hit stats are constant. There could easily be downtime that ive not noticed. Of course if the downtime is regular then that would account for regular hit stats.

Id probably say that i wont recomend them but ive been personally happy. If you want to try it do, but not my fault if it goes wrong . I can only say what ive experienced and im a happy customer.

I just thought it was a bizarely good offer that some people may like to know about.

marcjacob

WTF?

That was written in August. Also i know they have a few servers. Maybe they upped their game, maybe ive been very lucky. Ive not experienced that though. I would know if it was that bad as i use the hosting for my script so all the work i do uses the server resources to build etc.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Some of these deals work really well, it totally depends on how well the ISP manages their servers and network.

What these guys are doing, of course, is grossly overselling their bandwidth. They probably have 200 sites on one server, and there's no possible way that one server could serve 40,000 gigs of traffic a month, so they are assuming that 95% of the people will be actually using 10 gigs or 5 gigs or something.

The main thing is to keep your eye on the server. If they give you access, look at the total bandwidth usage graphs for the server you're on, what the load average is, and this will tell you if the server is within capacity or is straining.

Max, for a paysite, the last think you want is a site that loads very slowly, and that will often happen at certain points during the day with shared servers because of fluctuating use.

If you're paying .45 a gig, you are grossly overpaying compared to what's available now. Both Softlayer.com and ThePlanet.com (and probably many others) have servers with good quality (tier 1) bandwidth for around .10-.15 a gig if you're buying 1000 gigs/month or more. And, if you know where to look, there are even better deals on "bargain" bandwidth (Cogent, for example) where it can get down to 2 or 3 cents a gig.

But I agree that it's nearly impossible to lose with a buck a year for 2000 gigs/month. Just don't expect that you'll actually consistently be able to *get* your 2000 gigs/month.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    Some of these deals work really well, it totally depends on how well the ISP manages their servers and network.

What these guys are doing, of course, is grossly overselling their bandwidth. They probably have 200 sites on one server, and there's no possible way that one server could serve 40,000 gigs of traffic a month, so they are assuming that 95% of the people will be actually using 10 gigs or 5 gigs or something.

The main thing is to keep your eye on the server. If they give you access, look at the total bandwidth usage graphs for the server you're on, what the load average is, and this will tell you if the server is within capacity or is straining.

Max, for a paysite, the last think you want is a site that loads very slowly, and that will often happen at certain points during the day with shared servers because of fluctuating use.

If you're paying .45 a gig, you are grossly overpaying compared to what's available now. Both Softlayer.com and ThePlanet.com (and probably many others) have servers with good quality (tier 1) bandwidth for around .10-.15 a gig if you're buying 1000 gigs/month or more. And, if you know where to look, there are even better deals on "bargain" bandwidth (Cogent, for example) where it can get down to 2 or 3 cents a gig.

But I agree that it's nearly impossible to lose with a buck a year for 2000 gigs/month. Just don't expect that you'll actually consistently be able to *get* your 2000 gigs/month.

Ya not sure I will be using 2000 gigs a month (but sure would like to try LOL :jasun I am going to send them one and see how it goes, I will check out a few of the guys you talked about as well. I really need a new hosting company, these MGP gallery’s would kill me other wise.

The less hosting cost the better if you ask me, does fit with what I would like to do at least. I really do not need super support or anything, just good fast servers.

maxpower
    You guys are really making my life easier today, I was a bit worried before about how I was going to work out these hosting issues, but now I think it should be easy to do anything I need to.

Thanks Chip, I will check out those hosting companies you suggested as well. This will be my last month with my current host, I will spread the sites over 2-3 host and see what they can do.