Thread: So can someone please explain the 3 day trial thing to me...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    trials work best if you don't use them at all

consider this: unless your site adds 2 new full scenes per week or has tons of content, the longer trials will give potential recurring members a chance to realize that your site doesn't have as much content as they had though at first impression or that the updates aren't that much content. 3 days is short enough to keep them from really realizing that the site they joined isn't going to keep them as busy as they hoped.

of course, if you have a really rare niche or super great content, what i said above doesn't apply, but if you do have super content or a great niche, what is the point of offering a trial at all?

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyMatt View Post
    Do longer trials work better, say 7 or 14 days?

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    trials work best if you don't use them at all

consider this: unless your site adds 2 new full scenes per week or has tons of content, the longer trials will give potential recurring members a chance to realize that your site doesn't have as much content as they had though at first impression or that the updates aren't that much content. 3 days is short enough to keep them from really realizing that the site they joined isn't going to keep them as busy as they hoped.

of course, if you have a really rare niche or super great content, what i said above doesn't apply, but if you do have super content or a great niche, what is the point of offering a trial at all?
    This is starting to make me rethink this trial thing, maybe after some fine-tuning I should try 1.99 trials or even free. My retention even now is pretty good, I think this might be worth a try.

if your hits to sales ratio is already good, i wouldn't try a trial. the first thing i do with every client who uses a trial is have them remove it and see how they do. not one has ever put the trial back because they make so much more money without the trials.

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    This is starting to make me rethink this trial thing, maybe after some fine-tuning I should try 1.99 trials or even free. My retention even now is pretty good, I think this might be worth a try.

maxpower
    if your hits to sales ratio is already good, i wouldn't try a trial. the first thing i do with every client who uses a trial is have them remove it and see how they do. not one has ever put the trial back because they make so much more money without the trials.
    Ya I know what your saying I will lose some money and it did help out when I dropped my week long trial, but my site has grown a bit. Will I not get many more people that join for 3 days and quit then come back in a month or 2? Will this not help build trust or at least a relationship with many more potential members. At some point I believe I will have to go PPS anyway, and I do try hard now to keep members.

I am doing to redesign of my tour this week-end I was going to change a few price points anyway so might think about this a bit. I have been thinking about changing from a 3 page tour to a 2 page one with more action just to see the numbers, but right now is a good time for me to experiment a bit with this stuff. :shitpoke:

If I could get this PPS at 35$ a 1.99 join stuff to fly, with out having to fill my sites with upsells then that would be ideal would it not?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Boyfunk used to (2003) have a $7.95/5 day trial. It was responsible for the majority of our sales. On advice of several friends in the community, we took a deep breath, raised the join price from $14.95 to $19.95, and dropped the trial.

The results were that actual joins dropped, but income increased, and actual overall membership increased, because the people willing to pay $19.95 to try the site found they liked it and retained.

In other words, I think we got a more qualified buyer spending $20 who stayed longer.

We've monkeyed with a bunch of things since and are still experimenting, but it still amazes me how much removing the $8 trial actually grew our income.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    Boyfunk used to (2003) have a $7.95/5 day trial. It was responsible for the majority of our sales. On advice of several friends in the community, we took a deep breath, raised the join price from $14.95 to $19.95, and dropped the trial.

The results were that actual joins dropped, but income increased, and actual overall membership increased, because the people willing to pay $19.95 to try the site found they liked it and retained.

In other words, I think we got a more qualified buyer spending $20 who stayed longer.

We've monkeyed with a bunch of things since and are still experimenting, but it still amazes me how much removing the $8 trial actually grew our income.
    Still I wonder if I am not selling myself short with out some real attempts to make 3 day 1.99 trials work. I do not have allot of exclusive content and that does worry me, but I have overcome bigger problems than that. Not even sure I need exclusive content to begin laying the ground work for PPS.

Its not like I want to start doing this tomorrow, but I bet I might try some 1.99 trials early this spring, might even add some upsells (I really do not have ANY) not to many but that might help this configuration work better.

Making Pain Pay!
    What would you condsider a good hit to sales ratio? I know it must vary from niche to niche...but is there an "average" or something I should strive for?
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

if you get review site traffic and you can go through your stats and count only that - and go through your sales and count only the review site joins, sort of filter them out and count only them, 1:200 is quite acheivable. there are sites out there getting 1:100 on review site traffic or even better.

in fact, now you bring it up, unless you are doing that well on review site traffic, i'd consider trying new join page designs before i'd consider a trial. possibly a new tour. those trials won't convert from trial to full at better than 30% unless you have a very sticky site with quality and enough updates - that means unless you have plenty of good content AND enough updates, you will make less money with a trial - possibly a lot less.

but a good tour and join page can double sales on many sites. one that really shows what you have to offer, has simple but attractive navigation and - again - a good join page. and having your own graphics on the ccbill join page is also a plus. there's a lot of different things most of us can do to make more FULL sales without going to a trial.

Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    What would you condsider a good hit to sales ratio? I know it must vary from niche to niche...but is there an "average" or something I should strive for?